Bikers. This ever happen to you?

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read that as a joke, but thought I would add my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I, in the past, rode a performance type bike. I did not lane split because of fear that someone would not see me and I would get crushed. That was to protect myself.

However, you can turn this around and relate it to the Viper. Just because the traffic is going 60 mph and the cars are positioned in such a way that you can do a 100 by weaving back and forth between them doesn't mean you should do it, no matter what you are on or in.

Like I said, I read what was said as someone trying to be funny and got a laugh out of it. I would honestly believe that no one on this board would do something like that. You can agree or not agree that this is the right thing to do...that is your choice.

On the other side of things, if you are wearing a cow suit during 100 degree weather as stated above, it is your choice to do it instead of driving your A/C Viper....but it doesn't give you special permission to lane split in traffic just because it is hot.

Think the cop would let me go for lane splitting in my GTS because my A/C was out or I was wanting to get home faster? I might try that on the way home, even though my A/C works.

This was not to flame, but a mere observation from New Orleans, the home of rush hour in the swamp.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does "rush hour in the swamp" mean canoes and air-propulsion boats (can't remember the exact name) getting backed up trying to get home? Just kidding. I won't even dare to make a Waterboy joke either. I've been to New Orleans a couple time. I love that place, except I could not live there. I'd eat too much. Nothing like authentic jambalaya with andouille sausage and REAL hot sauce. Kinda like Philadelphia and their cheesesteaks. BTW, nice color combo on your Viper!

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is why we are the fattest in the country!! YOu are right, this is not the best place to live....great to visit, expecially during Mardi Gras.

You are talking about airboats, the ones with the fans on the back. Some of those things have more HP then my viper. I wanna race one!!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of that. I'm surprised that some do not consider it unsafe and illegal. Thanks for the info Dan.

Thanks for helping with my vocabulary block, iispms

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no problem.

Actually, I think it is Tennassee that a bike can run a red light because they do not have enough weight to trip the sensor. That should make for some interesting moments.

I think they have to come to a complete stop before they proceed, but not sure on other particulars.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's that way with bicyclists (at least from a bike manual that I read from). Of course it had all the warning and such.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of you who are trying to defend Sapphire are probably as immature as he is. Don't give that excuse of 'I was just joking', joking about attempting ****** is not a joke.

For those of you who even think of opening your door deliberately when a bike is passing by, we all know who you are, jealously is what drives you to do such stupid things. Just remember Sapphire, next time you think of such a stunt, some bikers have weapons; they might just slit your throat in self defense.

Sapphire, if you are immmature the least you can do is keep these riculous thoughts to yourself and not encourage the young people in this country to act this way.

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw, the law about running a red light works for every motor car, its is "if the light is defective" that you can run it. The thing with a bike is, it doesnt have the weight, or the required magnetic field (i think thats it) so they some times put hard drive magnets under there bikes ot help.

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think anyone on this board wants anybody to get hurt. miles b sorry to here about your friend getting hurt in lane splitting. but it is against the law in almost every state. just because your driving a motorcycle doesnt make you better than everyone sitting there in the same traffic your in so why in the h*ll do you think you can pass everybody? i would not feel a bit sorry for something happening to someone splitting lanes. you wouldnt have got hurt in the first place if your werent breaking the law! as for slitting throats thats plain stupid. accept the consiquences when your on the most deadlest forum of transportation in the world. ive driven many of motorcycles and have had friends seriously hurt. i would never drive another one on the highway again. its way to dangerous anyway you look at it. i dont care how good you think you can ride one, you never know what the drivers around you are gonna do. and there are some real idiots driving cars. you have absolutely zero protection on a motorcycle. wreck in a car in traffic doing 30 mph, 99% chance you will live, wreck on a motorcycle in traffic doing 30 mph, 99% chance your gonna die! period!!!

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think anyone on this board wants anybody to get hurt. miles b sorry to here about your friend getting hurt in lane splitting. but it is against the law in almost every state. just because your driving a motorcycle doesnt make you better than everyone sitting there in the same traffic your in so why in the h*ll do you think you can pass everybody? i would not feel a bit sorry for something happening to someone splitting lanes. you wouldnt have got hurt in the first place if your werent breaking the law! as for slitting throats thats plain stupid. accept the consiquences when your on the most deadlest forum of transportation in the world. ive driven many of motorcycles and have had friends seriously hurt. i would never drive another one on the highway again. its way to dangerous anyway you look at it. i dont care how good you think you can ride one, you never know what the drivers around you are gonna do. and there are some real idiots driving cars. you have absolutely zero protection on a motorcycle. wreck in a car in traffic doing 30 mph, 99% chance you will live, wreck on a motorcycle in traffic doing 30 mph, 99% chance your gonna die! period!!!

Accidents are absolutely different, no one is disputing that motorbikes can be dangerous, it takes a very diciplined person to ride a bike.

For your information it is LEGAL in several states to split lanes.

It seems several of you who have posted think that it is illegal to split lanes on a motorbike, and hence it is justified to open your doors or swerve in front of a motorbike.

Well, in that case is also justified that when you drive fast in your vipers, other drives should swerve in front of you just as you are about to pass them forcing you to wrap around a tree or pole with your brains spilled all over the nice dash board which you have spent several hours cleaning. Justified!

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if you open the door to someone doing this, you are just as much, if not MORE, an ass.

If you do happen to kill or hurt them with your door, I hope that person goes to jail. Just my thoughts.

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's legal to split lanes in California. I do it all the time.
Been riding sport-bikes (ricers/crotchrockets to you guys) for more than fifteen years now. Started on a Suzuki Katana (Kan-o-tuna), moved up to Kawasaki ZX7, and currently riding a heavily modified, 145+rwhp Yamaha R1.

Sooo.. Get ready for this one...

Especially in moderate and heavy traffic I feel(Know) splitting lanes at 5 to 10mph faster than traffic is flowing is SAFER than merging in behind someone and risk getting punted by the blue-haired granny behind me. It is much safer to lane split at a stop sign or red light instead of stopping behind, between two cars and risk a Dave sandwich also. I've seen it happen! :(

These, along with having an oncoming motorist take his left turn into you while riding through an intersection are main causes of a large percentage of motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle.

I agree that splitting lanes at twice the posted limit is asking for death.
Darwin's theory is king when it comes to street riders. Those in tanktops, shorts, and sandals doing stand-up wheelies down main street usually don't last too long. :eek:

Bring it. :laugh:
Dave

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave,
I see your point. Not trying to flame at all, so please don't take it as that way. I see your point about 5-10 mph faster when lane splitting, but what about when cars switch lanes?

I have been buzzed by lane splitters before and I never saw them coming. Always scared the crap out of me. My experience has always been in heavy traffic going about 30 mph so I don't expect to see bikes doing it. Out of the 3-4 times it has happened, 2 of them were by cops on bikes, so it is not just the crotch rockets.

Scares the crap out of me, so maybe I am bias. But I would not open a door to teach them a lesson.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never would have imagined where this thread was going. The biker liked the car, so he gave me a show. As far as opening a door or cutting in front of a biker. I would rather watch out for my bro, then kill him.

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When cars switch lanes is the hard part. :laugh:
I don't rely on looking for turn signals much, most people don't use them anyhoo.
This might sound stupid, but I've learned to watch peoples heads and their actions. Are they yapping on the phone? Distracted? Yelling at the kids. Usually a person will give a telltale "lookover" before he/she dices me.
Allow as much room as possible. Keep one thumb on the horn button always. Scoot past quickly.

Dave

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI IF IM DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD MINDING MY OWN BUISNESS AND SOMEONE SWERVES AT ME IN MY VIPER, I WILL DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO PULL YOUR SORRY A** TO THE CURB AND BEAT THE SH*T OUT OF YOU!! IVE TAKING MANY OF ASS BEATINGS AND PASSED JUST AS MANY ON TO THE NEXT PERSON SO IF YOUR INTENDING TO HURT ME OR MY PASSENGER IN MY VIPER WHILE IM DRIVING IT WILL COMMENCE IN SOME FORUM OF RETALIATION. DRIVE YOU AS TO TEXAS AND FIND OUT!!

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Lane spliting is legal in California and a lot of other states as long as you are not exceding the posted speed limit. I own a Viper and ride a Harley with loud pipes and I split lanes all the time. The loud pipes give some warning to the cars. Truck drivers know that it is legal and will give you as much room as possible. Most people don't understand that a motorcycle is air cooled and not designed to sit and idle in hot weather or for any length of time without seizing up. Why should someone on a bike be forced to sit and make more polution because some [******] in a car doesn't like the idea of someone passing him. Give the bikes a break butthead.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When cars switch lanes is the hard part. :laugh:
I don't rely on looking for turn signals much, most people don't use them anyhoo.
This might sound stupid, but I've learned to watch peoples heads and their actions. Are they yapping on the phone? Distracted? Yelling at the kids. Usually a person will give a telltale "lookover" before he/she dices me.
Allow as much room as possible. Keep one thumb on the horn button always. Scoot past quickly.

Dave

Thats not stupid at all Dave, I do the exact same thing while splitting lanes, the body language of the driver tells you alot about what they are about to do and glance at their front wheel and steering wheel.

I ride a loud harley, so the sound usually alerts drivers that a hog is coming up, some are decent enough to move over, some just don't know where the sound is coming from and don't give way even though they are almost over into the next lane, so I patiently wait till their stupid ass moves over or the traffic starts moving.

I never split lanes when traffic is above 35 mph just to be safe but I have seen bikers zoom past me sometimes at high speed, does scare me sometimes.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sparky,

You sound like a real intarlectual there, kiddo. Maybe you oughta lay off the 'roids for a while and think? What you fail to comprehend, is that your attitude of "you think you're better? you can sit in traffic like everyone else" is IDENTICAL to some guy in a minivan thinking "you think you are better than me because you've got a fast car and can outrun me and get in front at the next light? We'll I'm gonna swerve in front of you and stop you".

For the dim witted on this thread (there seems to be a few), lane splitting is LEGAL in some places. And if it's NOT legal, it's not your job to try to stop it. If you do, there's a good chance you'll damage your car, or damage the biker. And I'm sure the judge will agree with you over the cripple when you say "but I was just trying to stop him breaking the law when I opened my door".

Also, most bikers wear protective clothing and a helmet. If you end up in a fight with them, chances are you're going to get an assbeating.

As for the "the law is the same about running red lights". BZZZT! Wrongo! In Tennessee, motorcycles are allowed to run red lights *IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO*. It says nothing about "if the light is defective" or "if they waited too long" or ANYTHING of that nature. A biker can pull up to a perfectly working red light, and as long as he/she looks first, can go right on through. Don't believe me? Look it up. I wonder how many TN drivers will try to "prevent the scumbag lawbreakers running red lights" by opening their doors or cutting them off to prevent them from going through a red?

How about we concentrate on our OWN driving and let others do as they please. I don't see any badges on anyone on the group, so stop with the deputy-dog stuff and leave the crimefighting to the cops... or if you won't, don't [******] if someone cuts in front of your and slams the brakes becuase they felt you were speeding in your "I'm better than you" sports car, mmmkay?

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sparky,

You sound like a real intarlectual there, kiddo. Maybe you oughta lay off the 'roids for a while and think? What you fail to comprehend, is that your attitude of "you think you're better? you can sit in traffic like everyone else" is IDENTICAL to some guy in a minivan thinking "you think you are better than me because you've got a fast car and can outrun me and get in front at the next light? We'll I'm gonna swerve in front of you and stop you".

For the dim witted on this thread (there seems to be a few), lane splitting is LEGAL in some places. And if it's NOT legal, it's not your job to try to stop it. If you do, there's a good chance you'll damage your car, or damage the biker. And I'm sure the judge will agree with you over the cripple when you say "but I was just trying to stop him breaking the law when I opened my door".

Also, most bikers wear protective clothing and a helmet. If you end up in a fight with them, chances are you're going to get an assbeating.

As for the "the law is the same about running red lights". BZZZT! Wrongo! In Tennessee, motorcycles are allowed to run red lights *IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO*. It says nothing about "if the light is defective" or "if they waited too long" or ANYTHING of that nature. A biker can pull up to a perfectly working red light, and as long as he/she looks first, can go right on through. Don't believe me? Look it up. I wonder how many TN drivers will try to "prevent the scumbag lawbreakers running red lights" by opening their doors or cutting them off to prevent them from going through a red?

How about we concentrate on our OWN driving and let others do as they please. I don't see any badges on anyone on the group, so stop with the deputy-dog stuff and leave the crimefighting to the cops... or if you won't, don't [******] if someone cuts in front of your and slams the brakes becuase they felt you were speeding in your "I'm better than you" sports car, mmmkay?

Amen!

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, you got it A1. And true, I would sometimes mess around with my buddies and fight with them in leathers and an old helmet. Near impossible to hurt me. Head was a total no-go zone (helmets hurt hands), and the tight leather spreads the impact of one in the guts over your whole torso. Then I could hit 'em back with the "your face won't cut my hands" leather gloves with carbon fibre knuckles, followed by the carbon/kevlar piece down the whole forearm. Add to that carbon/kevlar knees, shins...

Sapphire, I get that you were joking. One too many bad drivers not paying attention, and me ending up stuck under his front bumper makes me a little touchy at your joke, that's all. I just get p!ssed off at the people who want to actively hurt a rider (eg open doors). I understand you aren't one. I just can't understand their jealousy.

Dave,
yeah I did that too when 'splitting. I don't ride on the roads any more. I believe it is or was legal to lanesplit here under certain circumstances (though every cop you ask tells a different story). I think it's something about staying only to the left side of the line..

You guys who haven't ridden, should. Learn how the other guy feels.