Black with silver stripes GTS, 32,000 miles, 49,990...Too much?

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious about others opinion on this particular car. It's a 2000 Black with Silver Stripes GTS, cognac interior and 32 thousands miles. First Viper that i've actually been able to look at thoroughly (nice) and the cognac interior, at least in this one, isn't as bad as i thought it would be. Asking $49,990. I don't know a lot about Viper, but the mileage is too much for the price. Perhaps i'm wrong? Pleave voice your thoughts. Thanks.

Also, would getting one's car appriased at Carmax a good place to get an idea as to how much dealer would appraise it to be?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Black with silver stripes, 32,000 miles, 49,990...Too much?

A 2000 Viper (no ABS and creampuff internals) with "high" mileage, for $50k? I'd love to see it sell for that, but you can do a lot better.

"Also, would getting one's car appriased at Carmax a good place to get an idea as to how much dealer would appraise it to be? "

The only place I'd want to appraise my Viper would be a dealerships that deals in Vipers. Carmax has prob never seen a Viper

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score

look at the one listed for 44,444.00 2001 blue RT10 ******* is the only way to go

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A 2000 Viper (no ABS and creampuff internals) with "high" mileage, for $50k? I'd love to see it sell for that, but you can do a lot better.

Thank you. That's what i thought. And it's sooo in my price range and so close to home. They supposedly wouldn't budge, so i said this isn't the car for me.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

look at the one listed for 44,444.00 2001 blue RT10 ******* is the only way to go

Yeah, ******* is nice, but i just love the lines of the coupe more unfortunately or else i probably would be in a Viper already.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you. That's what i thought. And it's sooo in my price range and so close to home. They supposedly wouldn't budge, so i said this isn't the car for me.

If $50k is your price range, you could get in an 02' GTS (non-FE) if you look hard enough

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If $50k is your price range, you could get in an 02' GTS (non-FE) if you look hard enough

I'm definately looking. Came across a 02 FE at Ringgold, but it has 23,000 miles with scrapes and a hideous looking yellowish carbon fiber something on the console, so offered $49,000 (they were asking 55,900, i think). Haven't heard back from them so, i guess no deal.

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you can buy a low mileage (10K) 00 GTS for around 50...that's really high.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm definately looking. Came across a 02 FE at Ringgold, but it has 23,000 miles with scrapes and a hideous looking yellowish carbon fiber something on the console, so offered $49,000 (they were asking 55,900, i think). Haven't heard back from them so, i guess no deal.

Where are the scrapes? All Vipers have scrapes under the front bumper. Can the carbon fiber thing come off? If so, buy the car rip off the carbon fiber whatchamacallit and you'll have one of the coolest Vipers ever! (Disclaimer: I love the FE's)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious about others opinion on this particular car. It's a 2000 Black with Silver Stripes GTS, cognac interior and 32 thousands miles. First Viper that i've actually been able to look at thoroughly (nice) and the cognac interior, at least in this one, isn't as bad as i thought it would be. Asking $49,990. I don't know a lot about Viper, but the mileage is too much for the price. Perhaps i'm wrong? Pleave voice your thoughts. Thanks.

Also, would getting one's car appriased at Carmax a good place to get an idea as to how much dealer would appraise it to be?

I have been researching extensively for the last few weeks. If you tell me what your looking for I can give you some links I have in my favorites that may save you some search time. Take your time bro and find the right car. 50k for a high mileage car is wayyyyyyyyy too much. There is an 01 bumblebee at starcitymotors.com with 16k miles for only $49,900 I would pick that car ten times outta ten over the one you mentioned. In fact I have several so tell me your color combos and year and intentions for the car and I can help

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know that car well, I traded it in on my SRT10 Ram. The car is in very good condition with $6000 worth of mods that everyone wants. The condition compares with any 6000 mile Viper. Believe me, I have seen a lot of Vipers.

The scrapes are on the underside of the front facia and are no worse than 90% of Vipers with 5000 miles. Those scrapes are NORMAL ;) If you don't want scrapes there, you better look at Vipers with less than 2000 miles (and then you can scrape it LOL)

The carbon fiber overlay is a deep red color (no yellow) and it is stick on. It could be removed and cleaned in 20 minutes. I am not a big fan of it, but it doesn't stand out to much either.....from experience, some people like it and some don't....it's about a 50/50 split so that tells you it isn't to bad. If it was "hideous" I would have removed it myself.

You offered $49,000 for this car ?? I guess you have to start somewhere, but I hope you didn't expect to buy it for that :p

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What mods? And they arent worth all that much when reselling. Tony are you saying this car is worht more than 49k. If so I disagree and have several resources of cars that are more valuable (resale wise) and of equal value for a lesser price. I am suprised how many 96/97's are listed for mid 40's and even mid 50's with pretty good mileage on them. A 2000 had nothing to be desired if you plan to drive it like it was meant to be or mod it. If you just want to say you have a viper then go for it.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just bought a 99 GTS black/silver with cognac (I love Cognac) with 8600 miles for $46K. Perfect car with good mods, too. FYI

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SSR, I'd agree it's too high. I'm selling my '99 all black w/Cognac GTS with 44,000 miles for much, much, much less. I wouldn't even try to ask near $50K for it, as it's unrealistic. I'd make an offer based on what you feel the true market value is. Worst they'll do is say no.

Steve

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I was looking for a viper, I found that if you want a nice 99 or 2000 black RT/10 or GTS, you are going to have to pay more than if any other color. Seems these cars sell for more than any other color, maybe it is just me, but that is what I found when I was looking. Also, condition oviously plays a big role in the price, the better condition, lower miles the more you are going to spend. I got a pristine 99 black RT/10 with cognac interior in april of this year for 48,000. Granted the car only had 4700 miles on it and was the best conditioned car that I had seen. Absolutely no scratches any where on the car...paint was like glass.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who care about ABS, if it's your deciding factor in buying a Viper, you're looking at the wrong type of car.

As it has been said many times, on a Viper you first decide on the body style, then the color and that tell you which years to choose from.

If you want black, you can only choose from 99 and 00 and the cast VS forged pistons is a non issue 99.99% of the time.

If you plan on keeping the Viper (or any other cars for that matter) for more than a couple of years,a difference of a few $K on the purchase price should not matter much.

Just buy the car that YOU like and don't worry about what other peoples paid or think of your choice.

Luc

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What mods? And they arent worth all that much when reselling. Tony are you saying this car is worht more than 49k. If so I disagree and have several resources of cars that are more valuable (resale wise) and of equal value for a lesser price. I am suprised how many 96/97's are listed for mid 40's and even mid 50's with pretty good mileage on them. A 2000 had nothing to be desired if you plan to drive it like it was meant to be or mod it. If you just want to say you have a viper then go for it.

You do realize I quoted his statement in regard to the 2002 Final Edition ? That is the car I am talking about and that I traded in ;)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I see now, my bad

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who care about ABS, if it's your deciding factor in buying a Viper, you're looking at the wrong type of car.

As it has been said many times, on a Viper you first decide on the body style, then the color and that tell you which years to choose from.

The people who have heard all the disaster stories about crashed viper and have not driven a car without it, namely a 450hp one.

Years have everything to do with a viper, and is number two only to body style. Like I said it depends on how he plans to use the car. But 49k for a car that has neither is not worth it IMO unless it's a collector vehicle with sub 10k mileage or suitable mods.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"The people who have heard all the disaster stories about crashed viper and have not driven a car without it, namely a 450hp one."

I think that you're getting confused between TC (traction control) and ABS

The vast majority of Viper crashes had nothing to do with brake, being ABS or not,and not even horsepower but, with torque.
meaning having the rear end come around.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So your saying that wheels locking up cant be just as disasterous as not having TC and for that matter not having either.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Where are the scrapes? All Vipers have scrapes under the front bumper. Can the carbon fiber thing come off? If so, buy the car rip off the carbon fiber whatchamacallit and you'll have one of the coolest Vipers ever! (Disclaimer: I love the FE's)

Where are the scrapes? The picture that was sent to me showed a lot of paint chips on the bumper (not quite sure whether it was the front or back). I understand about how all Vipers and a lot of Vettes have scrapes under the front bumper.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been researching extensively for the last few weeks. If you tell me what your looking for I can give you some links I have in my favorites that may save you some search time. Take your time bro and find the right car. 50k for a high mileage car is wayyyyyyyyy too much. There is an 01 bumblebee at starcitymotors.com with 16k miles for only $49,900 I would pick that car ten times outta ten over the one you mentioned. In fact I have several so tell me your color combos and year and intentions for the car and I can help

Hi. Yes, i've noticed that you've been researching extensively for the last few weeks. Sounds like we're almost on the same boat. I like bumblebee, but it's a little too noticeable for me (not that any other Viper in any other color wouldn't be out there). Colors that i'm opened to are either red (with or without white stripes) and Black (with or without silver stripes). I'm curious, why aren't you going for that bumblebee at Starcitymotors.com? If i recall, doesn't that car fall in your price range? Thanks.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
way too much money, for one of the least desirable years (no abs, no forged pistons) and its not even an ACR.

pretend its a vette and pass right by it.

Jon

LOL to pretend it's a Vette and pass right by. Hey, i drive a Vette! Although, having seen the Viper, i can't look at the Vette in the same way anymore.

I'm curious, i've heard this and read this a few times now, why isn't a 2000 such a desireable year other than the lack of ABS and no forged pistons? Is it for those reasons only that makes it so undesireable? Thanks.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I know that car well, I traded it in on my SRT10 Ram. The car is in very good condition with $6000 worth of mods that everyone wants. The condition compares with any 6000 mile Viper. Believe me, I have seen a lot of Vipers.

You offered $49,000 for this car ?? I guess you have to start somewhere, but I hope you didn't expect to buy it for that :p

You traded that particular car in on your SRT10 Ram? How long did you have it for? Why, if you don't mind me asking, did you trade it in? And LOL, yes, i have to start somewhere (with regard to the $49 offer). :)

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just bought a 99 GTS black/silver with cognac (I love Cognac) with 8600 miles for $46K. Perfect car with good mods, too. FYI

That's the car i saw yesterday. Beautiful!!!! I'm envious! Prior to looking at that car, i've only seen cognac in pictures, upon seeing it in person, it's not so bad. You're very fortunate to have come across that car for such a price!

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

SSR, I'd agree it's too high. I'm selling my '99 all black w/Cognac GTS with 44,000 miles for much, much, much less. I wouldn't even try to ask near $50K for it, as it's unrealistic. I'd make an offer based on what you feel the true market value is. Worst they'll do is say no.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Is your car still on the market? If it is, i'm surprise that it is! I did make an offer for what i feel is the true market value for the car, however, the sales guy that i dealt with said, this is a "toy" store and the price is "as is". So, i just walked out of there. He also said something about how maybe this isn't the car for you then (if this car price isn't for me). He also (as expected) added that this car won't last long. It was a nice car, but as most everyone have said, price is just a bit too high for the mileage. Nevertheless, after having seen the car, it makes me want to own a Viper even more now.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the car i saw yesterday. Beautiful!!!! I'm envious! Prior to looking at that car, i've only seen cognac in pictures, upon seeing it in person, it's not so bad. You're very fortunate to have come across that car for such a price!

I was the one who backed out on the car if it is the one that was in MI with 8,600 miles. I could have bought the car for $44,000. I backed out because the car has roller rockers that didn't seem to be installed correctly and a well known Viper tech told me to stay away. But, I hear there are different views on T&D's. The car looks mint and is still my favorite color combo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960