Blind spot

Bubba 2.9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time Viper owner here. I love the car, but I'm having a heck a time dealing with the massive blind spot that this car seems to have. When I back up in tight parking lots, forget about it. If I didn't have a rear view camera I'd be completely screwed. It's almost impossible to stick your head out the window and see behind you. Changing lanes is also more difficult than I'm used to. Any thoughts? To me it seems very difficult to see out the back of the car and has unusually large blind spots. JD

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
backing up i am 100% reliant on backup camera

changing lanes, i just give it a bit of gas to speed up to ensure no one is next to me - about all you can do... A blind spot detection system in this really is a must.

heck even the side mirrors are useless because they dont get past the rear fenders! can't even see the lines on the road behind you LOL

OP
OP
B

Bubba 2.9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
backing up i am 100% reliant on backup camera

changing lanes, i just give it a bit of gas to speed up to ensure no one is next to me - about all you can do... A blind spot detection system in this really is a must.

heck even the side mirrors are useless because they dont get past the rear fenders! can't even see the lines on the road behind you LOL

Thanks. It has been brutal. I'm backing up blind, thank God for the camera. Changing lanes, you're right on the money, go fast enough where you don't have to worry about hitting someone while changing lanes. Come on no one else experiences this? JD

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would all this be a good excuse for not pulling over for the cops?

"Sorry officer, I didn't see you because you must have been in the huge blind spot."

......."The helicopters and roadblocks were easy to see though"

;)

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's why so many of us back into our parking spots! I had a GenIV ACR before my TA, I was looking forward to the new car cause I would have more visibility out the back.............not so much! Just remember things behind you are in the past. Remember what Forrest Gump said
"You gotta put the past behind you"

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the same issue when your wife is in the car? I find that my wife has some type of sonar/radar built in that emits a warning sound when, in her opinion, I am too close to another car regardless of where that car is. The sound is "Bob!!!"

First time Viper owner here. I love the car, but I'm having a heck a time dealing with the massive blind spot that this car seems to have. When I back up in tight parking lots, forget about it. If I didn't have a rear view camera I'd be completely screwed. It's almost impossible to stick your head out the window and see behind you. Changing lanes is also more difficult than I'm used to. Any thoughts? To me it seems very difficult to see out the back of the car and has unusually large blind spots. JD

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I like it when the woman says "look out" and you wonder 1. Which direction 2. What is it. 3. Where do I go to avoid "what is it" 4. BP and HR go up, and then you realize "what it is" is of no consequence and is not a hazard. Next thought is *** and what were you thinking.

Unfortunately when she is right that one time out of a 100, you are glad she said something. A true Catch 22.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be used to dealing with them because with my settings I can track a car transition from being in the rearview, then once it disappears there, the nose will be showing in a side view.

I drove mine 14hr home and recall thinking how great the mirrors were for a supercar.

As far as backing up you must be proficient to begin with. And def use the camera. Its really good once you get used to it. Theres been a couple times ive opened the door and looked back, sometimes its easier.

OP
OP
B

Bubba 2.9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx guys. That Raul Julia scene is classic, and yes Bob boy do I hear you sometimes it's brutal having my wife in the car. I'll definitely try opening the door, or backing into the spot. Thx again everyone. JD

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I like it when the woman says "look out" and you wonder 1. Which direction 2. What is it. 3. Where do I go to avoid "what is it" 4. BP and HR go up, and then you realize "what it is" is of no consequence and is not a hazard. Next thought is *** and what were you thinking.

Unfortunately when she is right that one time out of a 100, you are glad she said something. A true Catch 22.

Mine has me bracing for impact with the gasp that precedes "Bruce!!!". We drove in pretty busy Toronto highway traffic on Saturday, and it was ******* both of us. I avoid Toronto traffic like the plague, feeling much safer running flat out on the track where everyone is competent. The car is so low you can't see past even a small car in front to watch for brake lights, never-mind anything larger, you can't see much to the sides, and even less out the back, made worse by the aero spoiler. Not fun at all for the driver, and it was worse with my wife sounding the alarm frequently. The only reason I attempted it was because we were going to a Viper Club dinner.

We just hope we can survive our 10 day trip down to Virginia and up the east coast later this month. Thankfully we'll be touring Washington, DC for 3 days by cab and on foot, and may be ready for a break by then anyways!

I also find my driver's side mirror doesn't angle out enough for proper adjustment, always seeing much of the side of the car. I'll get that checked.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bruce try ebbets bar & grill , 5 minutes from the white house. best oysters from around the world. at lunch time your likely to see some hi profile people

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I guess we are just gonna have to keep the throttle down and stay ahead of everyone in the next lane, shouldn't be too hard.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the same issue when your wife is in the car? I find that my wife has some type of sonar/radar built in that emits a warning sound when, in her opinion, I am too close to another car regardless of where that car is. The sound is "Bob!!!"
I get the same thing but what's really irritating is my name is Darryl! :rolaugh:

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way but properly adjusted mirrors eliminate all blind spots on any car. As an added bonus properly adjusted mirrors will eliminate headlights in the mirrors from following cars. Probably 90% of the vehicles on the road have improperly adjusted mirrors. It seems people like looking at the side of their car instead of having a full view of what is behind them. Try the steps below and allow a week or so to adapt to the new setup. At first it will seem strange but once you adapt you will realize there is no reason to turn your head, which in certain driving conditions could cause an accident. Obviously it is important to check your mirrors regularly to ensure they are still properly adjusted. Keep in mind you don't see race car drivers moving their head looking around behind them during a race, this is because they trust their properly adjusted mirrors.

Step 1: Place head against drivers side window and adjust drivers side mirrow until your car is no longer visible.
Step 2: Place head in center of car and do the same for the passengers side mirror.
Step 3: Place head in the typical driving position and adjust rear view mirror to allow cars approaching from either side of your car to remain in view of the rear view mirror until they become visible in appropriate side mirror.

lol, i think all of us know how to adjust our mirrors ;)