Blowing fuses with Mopar Controller and Engine Problems.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I know that you're frustrated, but I think that we can probably figure this out. It's what I do for a living and wouldn't be the first time that I fixed a car from a long way away.

Last edited:

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
No, it is a test to check for Carbon Dioxide.
You might just try swapping the ASD#1 relay with the Starter relay that sits right across from it. or more ideally, if the numbers on the tops of the relays match, swap it with the horn relay.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Have you tried swaping back to the stock PCM? If all is well with the stock PCM, you'll know it's the mopar controler. Just a thought..

I don't know how likely this is, since you have tried other computers, however it's not a bad idea to try it, and it's free to do so.....even better.

Also, you have a PM.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running the 100 octane race fuel in large quantities will wreak havoc on your stock O2 Sensors. It will create a higher degree burn and essentially burn out your O2 sensors if a high enough concentration. This happened on my 408 Stroker, Vortech Supercharged S351R Saleen. A lot of the problems I was having at the time, were related to burnt out O2 sensors and it would kick my car into the wrong Cosworth program mode.

As for your blowing fuse issue, the best way to determine what is going on, is to change back to the stock controller and a plain ole tank of 91 gas. If the problem goes away, then you know it is something with your fuel choice and the PCM. If not, the you can look at the items like O2 sensor and wiring harnes issues. Start with the small easy stuff before jumping to engine rebuilt territory.
s
Something seems to be grounding out and knocking that fuse out though. It has to be in the harness in that area. A heat related short or a pinch, etc.

Last edited:

maeham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had this problem last week on customers car talked to mark j also about mopar controller
the problem is not the pcm you have a shorted down stream o 2 sensor it is shorted right where
the sensor wires go into the sensor it wore the heater wire against the side seal heat sheild
u have to remove side seals to find it
hope this helps
eddie martin
bill luke dodge / maeham motorsports

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had this problem last week on customers car talked to mark j also about mopar controller
the problem is not the pcm you have a shorted down stream o 2 sensor it is shorted right where
the sensor wires go into the sensor it wore the heater wire against the side seal heat sheild
u have to remove side seals to find it
hope this helps
eddie martin
bill luke dodge / maeham motorsports

Thanks, I'll have that looked at. Should this have set on the check engine light?

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how likely this is, since you have tried other computers, however it's not a bad idea to try it, and it's free to do so.....even better.

Also, you have a PM.

I agree its good to try the computer swap. I don't know how hard this is to do.

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that you're frustrated, but I think that we can probably figure this out. It's what I do for a living and wouldn't be the first time that I fixed a car from a long way away.
What do you do for a living? And where are you? Thanks

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That fuse (ASD) auto shut down, powers the injectors and coils on you're vehicle. On a normal vehicle it would power all of the injectors and coils. On viper they have two ASD fuses each powering half of the injectors and coils. If the fuse is blowing you have to much load in the circuit, it does not matter what fuel you are using and so on. If i was the tech i would start switching components (injectors, coils) that are on ASD 1 to ASD 2 untill you have ASD fuse 2 blow after a sprited drive. if it is still ASD 1 fuse you have a wiring issue.

Good luck

Garrett

Reaction score
The problem is always on the passenger bank so we know what ASD relay to work with. The problem showed up shortly after he had the headers were installed there and talking with the SRT team and my guys we still feel that the wiring harness is probably been compromised during the header install. The harness on that side or there may be some short happening around/near the alternator.

If the local shop cannot find the wiring problem I will come and get the vehicle or send my tech to you to help. Keep looking for the short, and worst case replace the harness. I have not given up by a long shot.

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is always on the passenger bank so we know what ASD relay to work with. The problem showed up shortly after he had the headers were installed there and talking with the SRT team and my guys we still feel that the wiring harness is probably been compromised during the header install. The harness on that side or there may be some short happening around/near the alternator.

If the local shop cannot find the wiring problem I will come and get the vehicle or send my tech to you to help. Keep looking for the short, and worst case replace the harness. I have not given up by a long shot.

Mark, thank you, as always great service from you and Woodhouse. Do you think I have to remove the Mopar PCM? I'm tending to agree with you about the harness problem. If we don't get it fixed I'll take you up on the trip back to Woodhouse or vice versa. Thanks

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We've had a couple of our local guys Gen IV cars with 02 sensor wires scraped or slighlty melted during header installs. Similar symptoms.

We've also had a couple guys with bad engine wiring harnesses that had to be replaced. Since your car ran "weak" from the beginning, you may have a wiring harness issue.

Neither the Mopar controller or higher octane gas had anything to do with their issues.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've had a couple of our local guys Gen IV cars with 02 sensor wires scraped or slighlty melted during header installs. Similar symptoms.

We've also had a couple guys with bad engine wiring harnesses that had to be replaced. Since your car ran "weak" from the beginning, you may have a wiring harness issue.

Neither the Mopar controller or higher octane gas had anything to do with their issues.

Good luck,

Dan

How did you solve the wiring harness issues?
I was told the O2 sensor wires are extended to the max with headers. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
How did you solve the wiring harness issues?
I was told the O2 sensor wires are extended to the max with headers. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

If you can find the proper connectors, it is quite easy to fabricate an extension harness.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4