Body shop called need some help fast, can't locate rivets for rocker insulation help!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Body shop called need some help fast, can't locate rivets for rocker insulation h

So, what did they use for rivets?

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Body shop called need some help fast, can't locate rivets for rocker insulation h

They found them after I located a fastener place 2 blocks away from them lol. They made sure they were aluminum (b/c of corrosion issues) and welded everything with aluminum and used aluminum filler to smooth the whole piece out. I saw it during prep and it was flawless, can't wait to pick it up today, I'll post some pics. Also the insulation was wrapped with aluminum and I am going to isolate the piece from the frame with some nylon washers to try to prevent the poor design flaw of dis-similar metals that cause the corrosion.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They found them after I located a fastener place 2 blocks away from them lol. They made sure they were aluminum (b/c of corrosion issues) and welded everything with aluminum and used aluminum filler to smooth the whole piece out. I saw it during prep and it was flawless, can't wait to pick it up today, I'll post some pics. Also the insulation was wrapped with aluminum and I am going to isolate the piece from the frame with some nylon washers to try to prevent the poor design flaw of dis-similar metals that cause the corrosion.

Funny that the supply place was very close to them. I'm sure they are smacking their forehead about that.

Sounds as if they really know what they are doing. What were they charging, $350 or so per side? Seems like a screamin' deal to me.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, it came out to 363.00 I think, but they fixed it the RIGHT way so hopefully it will not come back. They had certified aluminum welders on staff, and he knew not to just shove filler and zinc rivets in there without telling him. Other body shops were like, "yeah will fix it by just filling it with regular filler", it was ridiculous, that kind of repair wouldn't last a month probably (from what I've read). In fact he just called me a few minutes ago to let me know they are going to keep it until monday b/c they found one tiny flaw and sent it back to the body guy and do not want to rush the paint before wet sanding/polishing. I'm astonished at how much work it looks like they have done to this rocker. When I saw it in prep yesterday it was perfect, so there must be one anal sob out there which I LOVE. I'm bummed I don't get it back today but I'd rather it be right you know. I did a lot of research before dropping off the rocker, b/c so many guys on here posted that it came back. The key "seems to be":

1. Wrapping the fiber insulation in aluminum
2. Of course using aluminum rivets to reattach insulation
3. Repairing any damage by welding in aluminum wire, not filler
4. My shop also said only using aluminum filler/glazing to get the surface ready to paint
5. Isolating the rocker from the steel frame with nylon washers (which I'm also going to do to the other site that is not bubbling as a precaution as it is already "wrapped"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456