boomers GTS

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i finally made some time to work on my Gen2.i have put the big brake kit on it, adjustable suspension, copper head wheels (the really light weight ones)B&B headers etc over the years. car only has 7000 miles on it, not much since i got it from woodhouse 5 years ago!
for the past few weeks i have been slowly working on making a new engine wiring harness. when i started to wire in the AEM and the injector driver i got really frustrated when i saw how ****ty Dodge made the factory harness. so i made my own and just used the stock plugs. i used braided hi-temp 'cloth' loom. its a poly blend but it feels like cotton.
its fun to work with......like trying to put a snake's skin back on. the longer runs are where it takes forever. it gets bigger when you push on it and retracts and tightens when pulled. like a chinese finger.
one thing i found out.
if your viper ever has some wierd random electric malfunction.......
check the wiring harness that leads to the ac compressor. every body, "usually" puts an electrical clamping device on the plug for the compressor or on the ac relay. this is there so that when you turn off the ac it creates a spike from an electromagnetic field, sometimes in the 500 volt range. not good for down stream electronics....
this is where it gets weird with the gen 2 vipers. looking at the service man. it says there is a Zener diode taped into the wiring harness for this reason. but if you look at how its wired, Zener diodes dont work that way. then if you take the harness apart you will find its not a Zener, but in fact a TVS (transsient voltage suppressor) bi-directional diode. rather hard to come by locally, but found some thru Digi-Key online.
case in point. a customer called me a while back and sometimes his car would backfire after he shut it off. it only did it when the ac compressor was engaged....i called him after disecting my wiring harness and finding this TVS diode buried in my harness and it looked burnt. after inspection, his was too and now he has no more problems after replacing this......
ok, enough with the electrical seminar.
my car is coming along. yes i know i have enough money into it that it could have been a twin turbo with more power. dont care, a 1000hp is plenty for me on the street and i like to rebel against the status quo......
You must be registered for see images

i ported the heads, did a full radius valve job on my serdi machine. if i had to do over, i would have sent them to Greg Good......porting a V10 viper head *****....
i had exotic engine machine the short block and forge the internals.
crower billet cam and all roller valve train.
i then built a larger aftercooler with dual pipes leading to the throttle bodys. i had Hogans build the intake and i am maching some covers to go on top of it. i hate using hose clamps so all of the hoses except for 2 main radiator hoses, i have changed out to AN fittings and earls prolite 350 hose (my wiring harness loom looks and feels the same)

i used 2 heat exchangers to go in behind the headlights venting out into the fender wheels. ill post some pics of that later. ill try to update this weekly as it goes.
next project on the list is to pull the front wiring harness off and make a new one for that too. i hate the convoluted tubing and electrical tape the factory uses.

Attachments

• 1-18 025.jpg
    1-18 025.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 1-28-2.jpg
    1-28-2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 141
  • 1-28-3.jpg
    1-28-3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 136
  • SHOW PICS 061.jpg
    SHOW PICS 061.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the tiny little bastard that can wreak havoc on your electrical system. here i am replacing it
sorry the pic is upside down...stupid iphone..
You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• 1-18 023.jpg
    1-18 023.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 1-18 024.jpg
    1-18 024.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Build!! I wanna set of those valve covers, but I don't want to spend the money for them.
thanks. you only live once, you can spend it now, or your family will spend it for you when your gone! :lmao: whenever you feel you can part with your cash for them let me know, and i can help you with that! :2tu::D

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the overflow tank, did you make it?
thanks. yep i made it, the stock craptastic plastic one was driving me nuts, and i wanted to do away with clamp on style hoses. so the main feed off the water pump comes in the bottom with a -10an inlet. its connected down to another aluminum tank to replace the other plastic surge/siphon tank in front of the passenger front wheel.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: very nice job :2tu: So what was the aim of the work? Do you intend to take the car to track days?

That car will scare the hell out of those Corvette owners :D

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it, the fab work is awesome. What fuel pump/s did you go with?

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: very nice job :2tu: So what was the aim of the work? Do you intend to take the car to track days?

That car will scare the hell out of those Corvette owners :D
:smirk: hopefully ill scare a Vette owner or two! yeah i plan on doing some track days. thats my goal to get it ready for this spring

I love it, the fab work is awesome. What fuel pump/s did you go with?
i used 3 walbros.

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is the fuel pressure regulator and some other quick pics.
there isnt a lot of room in the engine bay and i didnt want it to be to cluttered.
i wanted to make the most use of what was already there
so:
what i did for my breather tank(s)

i used the stock cross bar that is welded to the front frame rails. then capped off the ends of the tubing and welded on AN fittings. ran down my crankcase breather lines to there. i welded in a fitting for a 2" filter to attach to the tubing for ventalation. i attached a drain fitting so that oil vapor residue can be drained from time to time.
i am also trying to replace all of the fastners with Ti for looks, and wieght.
this picks are just the mockup phase. ill clean up the cuts on the fender wells and i made some covers to go over them. these are just to let you see the progress before it all get back together then its hard to see some of it.

Attachments

• 1-31 001.jpg
    1-31 001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1-31 002.jpg
    1-31 002.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 1-31 005.jpg
    1-31 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 1-31 007.jpg
    1-31 007.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 1-31 008.jpg
    1-31 008.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in this pic you can see the front tube thats now the breather tanks.

Attachments

• 1-29 005.jpg
    1-29 005.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would you be interested in making me a tank, i think you did a great job on it and I would like one in mine. :deal:
i got quite a few pm's about this. maybe, but not for a few months. i am really wanting to just get this project finished. i have had all my stuff on hold for the past 4 years and now i am going to get my stuff going again. i havnt drove this viper for 4 years or my '08 since '08!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i will wait exactly two months, honestly I understand do your thing but I'm serious about working something out with you to fabricate the tank, I think its really slick and if you already have a few *** about it thats an indication that you have something you can create that will fill a void in viper nation, I think it will be a popular mod :2tu:

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i will wait exactly two months, honestly I understand do your thing but I'm serious about working something out with you to fabricate the tank, I think its really slick and if you already have a few *** about it thats an indication that you have something you can create that will fill a void in viper nation, I think it will be a popular mod :2tu:
ok, cool stay in touch. if there is enough demand maybe ill do a batch of them:eater:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would you be interested in making me a tank, i think you did a great job on it and I would like one in mine. :deal:

Hey......That is how Mr Gasket got started.....He made his own gaskets at the track for his race car and other people asked him to make them one and it took off from there.....:headbang: :rolleyes:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey......That is how Mr Gasket got started.....He made his own gaskets at the track for his race car and other people asked him to make them one and it took off from there.....:headbang: :rolleyes:

I think he's on the fast track .... He's already "Mr. Throttle Body" to me :headbang:

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always dug your work Gary. I'd be interested in the overflow tank as well. ;)

Thanks bud. I'll see if I can make some programs up to do a batch of these. Let me kick it around. Im in California on business/vacation right now. Had to get on here with my iPhone to get my viper fix on! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth