Borla on '97 GTS

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Viper and I've found a car I'm pretty keen on. It's a '97 B/W GTS, one-owner car, with around 20k miles. It has a few add-ons, one of which is a Borla exhaust setup (headers and all). The Viper Tech I talked to said that with aftermarket setups, you can fry some of the wiring, cause some problems with spark plugs, etc. because of the increased heat that's given off. The car in question has the strap wrap on the headers.

I used the search feature and didn't find anything probative regarding the potential issues that can emerge with aftermarket setups, so if anyone can offer some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,
Johnny

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IDK who the Viper tech is but IDK about that guy! I have ran into a few "Viper Techs" that didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Call Jon B. He'll set you strait. I'd buy the car anyways. If you don't like the exhaust you can get it pulled, and sell it. The headers back is probably going to bring in enough cash to buy a full stock setup and cover the install. As a matter of fact I know a guy that may buy the entire setup...... :D

-Tim

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you would like stick headers, cats, and exhaust I have the entire set up with low miles for sale. PM me and we can talk. But I have run headers, no cats and B&B exhaust for years with zero trouble. Now when an exhaust leak on my header happened it melted some wires....

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Borla headers are iffy as far as whether they're worth it or not. I don't think they've been sold forever, and to be honest I don't remember much about them other than they were good quality, but so-so from a performance standpoint. The old style Borla cat-back is great.

The only two things you need to watch out for are burnt plug wires (get a set of AB wires), burnt 02 sensor wires, or a burnt starter motor/wiring. If the system was installed right, none of those will be a problem. I have seen a few melted HVAC intake boxes, but that's reasonably rare. If you install the stock heat shields, problems go away fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96