Borla vs Belanger: Exhaust Help Needed!

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All,

After reading several exhaust posts I have narrowed my choice down to the new Borla catback (part 140049) and the Belanger catback. I have heard the old Borlas (2 mufflers) and loved the sound, but I dont't know how it compares to the Belanger catback which I have never heard in person.

Since my budget right now doesn't allow me to purchase high flow cats and headers, I'll have to do with just a catback. I am looking for a a V10 loud aggressive sound, but not obnoxiously loud. Borla seems like the best bang for buck at $860. What do you guys think? Will it be noticibly louder than stock with stock cats and headers? I have a 96 RT so the drone problem doesn't bother me.

One last thing, I am fortunate enough to have a DC extended service contract on my 96 RT. Will the aftermarket exhaust void the service contract? I am pretty sure it won't but just thought I'd ask.

THANKS!!!

GB

PS: Do let me know if you have a borla or belanger catback you want to sell. I don't mind buying a used one if it's in good shape.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've known Jerry and Lou Belanger for years and have been working with them over the past few weeks regarding an exhaust for my 98 GTS. One thing I can tell you is that their cat-back is really a custom item. You can spec it how you want. The default is with two 18" mufflers, but for example I am going with four 18" mufflers and we are currently deciding between running the high flow cats, or taking a set of stock cats and modifying them so that they have 3" inlets and 3" outlets. Modding the stock cats will be quieter (what I want) but Lou tells me you have no noticeable power penalty. I guess what I am getting at is that your exhaust decision might be even harder than you think and the opportunity to attend some sort of local Viper event and listening to and/or riding in cars with various systems might be worth the wait (my current system is a mess so I really don't have this opportunity plus I know from experience that I like my exhausts to be as quiet as possible so that is the route I am going).

Another issue is what material is used to make the exhaust. I am totally sold on aluminized like the Belanger over stainless like the rest. If you take a length of 3" stainless tubing and hit it with a hammer it will ring like a bell. If you do the same with aluminized it will thud. It seems this has to help with resonance problems inside the car. And don't forget, once you drive a few hundred miles a stainless system will be purple and the aluminized will look just like when you took it out of the box.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Belanger setup, although I have headers, HF CATs and a catback. It's aggressive and loud when you stomp on it and mild while cruising. 1500 RPM gives some resonance in the GTS, but just open the windows or speed up and it goes away. I have gotten numerous comments around it being the best sounding Viper people have heard. Just yesterday at our dyno day we have a Borla, Corsa and my Belanger setup and the Belanger sounded by far the most aggressive. But then exhaust sound is very subjective and listening to it in person is the best way to resolve your dilemma. Good luck.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Belanger setup, although I have headers, HF CATs and a catback. It's aggressive and loud when you stomp on it and mild while cruising. 1500 RPM gives some resonance in the GTS, but just open the windows or speed up and it goes away. I have gotten numerous comments around it being the best sounding Viper people have heard. Just yesterday at our dyno day we have a Borla, Corsa and my Belanger setup and the Belanger sounded by far the most aggressive. But then exhaust sound is very subjective and listening to it in person is the best way to resolve your dilemma. Good luck.
Do you have just two mufflers in addition to your high flow cats (if so do you run them in the sills or out back)? Kind of scary to hear you say the Belanger was the most aggressive compared to Borla and Corsa (I'm assuming a B&B is loud since all their stuff is loud), since I want as quiet as possible (and when I say quiet no one understands that I mean normal guy quiet not hot rod kid quiet).

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 Mufflers out back right before the tips. The car came with them installed so I don't know if there are 2 more mufflers in the sills.