Brake Calipers

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am looking to purchase brake calipers for my 97 GTS.

I found some on Ebay:
eBay Motors: 92-00 VIPER POWDERCOATED OEM brake calipers EXCHANGE (item 180207892408 end time Dec-12-08 09:52:30 PST)

Has anyone purchased from these guys before? If so, how long did it take to get your core credit back? Were the calipers rebuilt or new? If they were rebuilt, did they do a quality job?

The price seems decent for an exchange. Just seeing if anyone has experience with this vendor.

Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like R&J Distributing. Maybe not.

But $741 for shipping? I'll walk.
Hey Dave,

That is R&J, but if you read the fine print,:omg: $700 is a core charge if you want to keep you old stuff:usa:or send in your old stuff and get the$700 back. $41 is shipping.

Even us old guy's can read :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Big Brake Dave:drive:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly $700 of that is the core charge, which they refund when you send your used calipers back to them.

AH! That sounds better.

If that is the same as R&J Distributing I've seen a few people make compliments of their work, and the only negative thing ever mentioned was some communication difficulties. That seems to be common to small businesses that have only a few, if not only just one employee.

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AH! That sounds better.

If that is the same as R&J Distributing I've seen a few people make compliments of their work, and the only negative thing ever mentioned was some communication difficulties. That seems to be common to small businesses that have only a few, if not only just one employee.

Excellent! That's what i'm looking for. Thanks Dave! :2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the full translation would be:
$341 to have your calipers powercoated
$1041 to purchase a powdercoated set

?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought the GTS calipers were not that good and to go with the SRT calipers and Dave's big brake kit conversion?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought the GTS calipers were not that good and to go with the SRT calipers and Dave's big brake kit conversion?

GTS calipers can be made to perform extremely well with the right combo of pads, lines and Tom's rear brake upgrade.

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So what is the rest of the formula? Got the OEM fronts, buy Tom's rear calipers...

What lines and pads??

I bought Carbotechs for my 05' M3...UNREAL pads...But were NOISY...Sounded like a race car! lol

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, would you do the GTS brakes with the upgrades/combo as you mention or go with SRT calipers?

Last edited:

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got calipers from R&J distributing and it took 2 months to get them. He had more excuses than you can believe. And he is a total ****! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a perfect of Gen 3 calipers I took off my 2003 if you need some. I replaced them with red ones.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am looking to purchase brake calipers for my 97 GTS.

Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

"Half of all advertising......................"

You dont mention if color is important?
How does under $400 for BOTH OE Front calipers sound?
Good, used, trade-ins from BIG BRAKE UPGRADES. Black, nice white letters.
We ship within 24 hours of your order, and ground USA is FREE S/H USA 48.
We probably have some with thick pads still installed!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Half of the advertised price................"

Sweet Ride... Don't know if you are looking to do a cosmetic upgrade and already have calipers, or are just in need of a set straight out because yours are [fill in the blank]. Anyway, all of my parts to do the SRT upgrade on my 2001 GTS will be arriving in December from Viper Specialty with installation to follow shortly thereafter. Realistically my pull-off parts will be available late Dec or early Jan. If you're not in a hurry I'll sell mine for $200. About 31K miles, slight blemish on one but otherwise equals if not a little lower than ebay good used price. Lettering is still perfect and white. Indicates they've never been cooked at the track.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, would you do the GTS brakes with the upgrades/combo as you mention or go with SRT calipers?

I am hesitant to pick one great vendor over another. Tom and Dave both offer a great product. Personally I prefer to stay reasonably close to stock on my Vipers.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got calipers from R&J distributing and it took 2 months to get them. He had more excuses than you can believe. And he is a total ****! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a perfect of Gen 3 calipers I took off my 2003 if you need some. I replaced them with red ones.

The Gen 3 calipers are completely different than the Gen 2s 13" gne 2 calipers and 14" gen 3 calipers, different bolting methods require adapters, lines and at least 18" wheels.

Ted

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My transaction with R&J was nothing but smooth, got the calipers within 2 weeks. Red with black lettering.

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple more questions...

If I was to get some front calipers painted or powdercoated, where could I obtain the "Viper" logos/stickers?

Are the brake lines size 3 or 4?

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would stickers hold up at those temps?

arnt the logos painted on the stock calipers?

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pm SNKEBIT for the service you are looking for. I just had mine done. Results met my expectations and hes easy to deal with. Extremely knowledgable viper owner.

Be advised the dust seals and o-rings can be a bit of trouble and costly to obtain if you end up needing any of this.

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple more questions...

If I was to get some front calipers painted or powdercoated, where could I obtain the "Viper" logos/stickers?

Are the brake lines size 3 or 4?

would stickers hold up at those temps?

arnt the logos painted on the stock calipers?

I powdercoated mine myself (red) and got the vinyl letters (white) from R&J almost 3 years ago. I think it was $15.00 for the pair of vinyl lettering for the fronts. The lettering is still on and looking good. I bead blasted the black finish then powdercoated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang