Brake Pads EBC Red Or Green?

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading most of the posts on brake pads the two most comon choices seem to be EBC Red Or Green.

In 2006 posts, Green seems to be recommended more than Red because red took too long to heat up.

In 2007 Red CERRAMIC took over as the favorite pad in the posts. Green changed compund and started dusting more.

What is the concensus today? Are Red's still on top.

This is mostly for a street car, no track days anymore. Preferrably low dust also.

Thanks.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
RED. DEFINITELY.

Green is no longer the correct application for Vipers. Green is now for low-horsepower cars that are lighter than the Viper. The Red pads have been reformulated for better cold characteristics, dust levels as low as the original greens, and here is the best part: more hot bite than the original greens as well. They feel almost identical to OEM pads, but produce extremely low dust levels. They are even worthy of Autocross and light track days, though race use will accellerate pad wear.

https://www.viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=46

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad put the new Greens on before we knew about the compound change. They dust like crazy. He would love for someone to give him a few bucks for them, they have about 1K miles on them and the green was sprayed with black high temp.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my REDS from Dan last week but I only have about 25 miles on them so far. I doubt the bedding material has even worn off yet.

I can say for sure however, that at least the bedding material doesn't squeal like the stock pads were beginning to do and it creates zero dust. Don't yet know how the actual friction material will do.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Got my REDS from Dan last week but I only have about 25 miles on them so far. I doubt the bedding material has even worn off yet.

I can say for sure however, that at least the bedding material doesn't squeal like the stock pads were beginning to do and it creates zero dust. Don't yet know how the actual friction material will do.

Hi John,

It doesnt take long for the brake-in coating to wear off at all. Chances are, you are already partially into the friction material. Braking bite will increase as they bed further over the first 100 city miles or so.

PS- Dont be surprised if you see "red brake dust" as they break-in, the friction coating does that.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My dad put the new Greens on before we knew about the compound change. They dust like crazy. He would love for someone to give him a few bucks for them, they have about 1K miles on them and the green was sprayed with black high temp.

Yep, the greens dust and squeak like crazy now, on top of having little braking bite when heavy on the brakes. NO GOOD FOR VIPERS ANYMORE!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery