brake questions

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the middle of installing new pads. Some quick questions.

Rear brakes - When turning the pistons on the rear calipers back in how far am I supposed to turn them? Clockwise for both wheels? I keep turning them clockwise and they do not seem to be moving inward at all.

Front brakes - How do I remove the spring holding the pins which hold the pads in? Can I just yank it out with pliers? Then do the pins just slide out?

Thanks for any help.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to knock the pins inward on the front pads then the spring will fall out...
The rears you need to push at the same time as turning....

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You turn the rear brake pistons clockwise for both sides. They will rotate completely around and if all goes easily, it would take about 4-5 turns to seat them. There is no "stop" to tell you when to cease turning when the pistons are fully seated, but no worry- nothing bad happens.

Sometimes you have to push (hard) while turning. There are a series of springs and washers that form a "clutch." It is part of the system to allow the piston to continually readjust the position (for the parking brake - ever wonder why you don't have to tighten the cable?) as the brake pads wear thinner. It sounds like this mini-clutch system is slipping. Don't use a hammer; they will only recede while being rotated since they are sitting on a threaded rod.

The pistons should sink to almost flush with the metal surface - the rubber dust boot will **** up around it.

For the fronts, remove one pin first and the spring will fall or fly out. When reinstalling, put one pin in place, then the spring, bending it so the second pin can slide into place.

OP
OP
V

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I stopped working on these for today. I haven't had any luck getting the rear pistons seated. Anyone else have any tricks, before I purchase the tool from dodge?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a c clamp and press the piston in, remove and turn 1/4 turn, press piston, turn, press, turn, you get the picture. It will go in. If you do buy the tool I believe Harbor Freight has it for a heck of a lot cheaper.

I bet there are a lot of VCA members in your area though. You might want to ask someone to stop over for 5 minutes to help. Once you've done it once you are good to go.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rears on both my 97 and 98 were a real pain to push in. After scaring my knuckles for what seemed like a couple hours they finally went in. The 98 started retracting easier with my second pad change. The 97 retracted easier with Tom's rear brake upgrade.

OP
OP
V

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chuck, I was just thinking about getting a hold of you to see if I could rent your tool for the rears for a day. Then I went to the garage to give it one more shot. Using the C clamp, 1/4 turn C clamp method I was able to get them in far enough to get the new pads on.

Thanks again to everyone with their help.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NAPA has the tool same one used on Cadillac, Subaru old Granada. Light pressure with a C clamp same time turning in clockwise. Only take it in enough to get the pads in. The adjustment is from pulling on the E brake to rachet the piston back out. Sometimes it doesn't want to get back to no clearance of pad to rotor so you have to crank the piston back out. It will seem like you can't get the air out of the rears when this happens. Pads should be touching and rubbing rotors after bleed. Pull on E brake handle 1st to try and adjust and if won't work turn piston back out.

DUH, guess I should have read `last post. LOL

OP
OP
V

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Didn't realize this until everything was said and done, but since mine is an 01 with ABS, the piston is actually different than pre 01's. There aren't any holes on the pistons to put needle nose pliers. I was trying to figure out how in the world anyone would get needle nosed pliers to turn these things.

Mine looked like two little triangle indents on the pistons that you'd almost surely have to have a special tool to rotate. I was able to put on a vice grip type strap wrench on the outside of the piston to spin it, while pushing at the same time with a C clamp.

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too have an abs car ('02 GTS) and I have the little triangle indents too. I tried using needle noses and it worked for driver's side but it is not working on passenger side. It is just too hard to turn; I'm busting up my hands and knuckles trying to get it to turn.
Where can I buy the correct tool?
Is there any other links someone can point me to, that discusses ABS 01-02 rear brakes?
Viperdude: How did you get the vise grip strap wrench on the piston, without tearing up the rubber boot?
Please help.
Thanks. :omg:

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I posted in another brake post, Harbor Freight has the caliper pkg that you need. It comes in a red plastic case and contains a few different sizes, one of which fits the ABS calipers perfectly. I paid $19 on sale. It takes some getting used to using it but once you get the hang of it, it's actually pretty easy. Good Luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang