Brake Upgrade

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soon the time will come to upgrade form stock brakes to drilled / slotted disks with superior pads. I've been shopping around online and wanted a few opinions on brands. EBC? Centric? PowerStop? Any others? EBC Red Stuff pads look good for this application.

Also plan on removing the calipers and having them powder coated a nice candy apple red!!! :D Ofcourse retaining the Viper insignia on them.

What are you using? :usa:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure to ask that the rear calipers are disassembled to powdercoat them. It's a pain to do because of the parking brake, but there are plastic ball bearing cages and rubber o-rings inside.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will need rotors and pads along with stainless steel lines in 2008. I understand the stop tech simple upgrade kit is no longer available. Does EBC or someone else have something better than stock without going to a big brake upgrade kit?

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want to swap out the calipers and I have factory wheels which I understand require a spacer.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Send your rear calipers to Tom (Tom, F&L GoR) and he will powder coat them and change the pistons for better balance.

EBC are great poser pads but their stopping power is just a little bit better than bars of dial soap. I have them on my street Viper but I don't drive aggressively in it, spiritedly but not aggressively. If you go with EBC contat Steve at GreatBrakes Great service!!!

If you want stopping power - PFC01

If you want a geniune performance rotor go with a two-piece - slotted or drilled with the directional vanes.

OP
OP
R

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to do most of the change myself, aside from the powder coating obviously. I intend on changing the disks and upgrading the pads, all standard sizes that should piece right back together....

Is this feasable? :usa:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, you rear calipers have 43 mm pistons already versus 38 mm to pre-ABS cars, and 40mm after Tom's modification .

Actually, pre-ABS OEM size is a measly 36mm. (See the 36 on the casting below) Makes a great parking brake, but hardly much more.

This caliper design, piston size, and brake pad is used on the new Lotus Elise and previously the Renault Alliance, the only difference being the caliper for the Viper is wider to accommodate a thicker rotor.

You must be registered for see images attach

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '02 GTS and use the EBC Sport rotors with Brakeman #3 pads. I've never had an issue with this combination at the many ViperDays events I've attended. If you're wanting to upgrade for performance reasons you may want to upgrade your fluid as well. I use Motul RBF 600. One thing I learned at ViperDays is that as the amount of brake dust decreases (i.e. EBC Greens), so does your stopping power.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact:omg:

ABS calipers (rear)2001-2002 will NOT work on a non ABS Viper without changing the spindle(knuckle). The mounting tabs are different:eater: Non ABS pistons are 36MM and ABS pistons are 43mm.

Tom's 40mm upgrade work great on Non ABS Vipers as seen on my web site:D Home Page

Big Brake Dave:drive:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont go for Daves big brakes:nono: ....................................................................................

Unless you want to replace your front screen:drive: :2tu: .........

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Greatbrakes for EBC discs all round and I ran EBC red front and green rear for the track and road but they do take a little while to heat up. After one stop they seem fine. But cooling is a bigger problem I used a Colne Cooling Kit (Henry Colne) worked great but needs big holes cut in the front of the car the Roe racing kit is good as are most defusers.
Changing fluid is a must.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R