brakes squeek on new Viper

vinman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is 2001 GTS. Curious if the noise quiets down over time, if not, I'll probably have the EBC pads put on. I had high performance brakes on F355 and there was some noise with them, but not this loud.

Vinman

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I got my 98 Red GTS a few months ago and have the same problem with only 4100 miles on the clock..... (kinda embarrassing with such a high dollar car in my opinion) so I guess I'll wait till spring and then have them changed over.

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best way is to brake real hard, heal-and-toe downshift with a loud exhaust and you won't worry about the noise.
laugh.gif

Seriously, I do notice the noise. It's okay... I drive it like a race car and it should behave like one... ;)

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems to be pretty common with vipers. it's really bad in hot weather. the only thing that seems to work is to change the front pads to what are called....green stuff by EBC.. and the nice thing about them besides the quieter braking is there is very little brake dust on your front wheels. ya think that after 5 or 6 years of numerous complaints DC might do something about them.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year car do you have? Vipers come with high performance pads which, by there nature, will squeal. In order for DC to do something about it, they would have to go to less performing brakes, but then you wouldn't have a track ready vehicle.

Your alternative is to change the brake pads out as mentioned above, or you can bed them in. Changing them out being the most effective in reducing dust and squeal.

I'm not sure if you can bed in the ABS cars.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All 2001 Vipers brakes squeal. It even says so on page 82 of your
owners manual.Heres a quote "brake pads are a semi-metallic compound which has been selected for superior fade resistance and consistent operation.A compromise is that under some weather and operating conditions, the brakes may squeal slightly during light brake applications.Usually this is a temporary condition and will go away as the brake pads wear."
I've read on this forum of people who have changed their brake pads to EBC greens and the EBC pads squealed! I guess all high performance semi-metallic brake pads squeal.
I'm going with the owners manual and see if the squeal subsides as the pads wear.