Brembo Brakes

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a front set of Brembo Brakes for a 97 GTS with 14" Rotors F50 Calipers,4 piston two piece 355 x 32mm cross drilled vented discs with anti corrosive cadmium plating. floating billet aluminum bell.dusts seals, anti rattle clip and stainless brake lines. the bell face thickness is 7mm caliper overhang:37.4 mm caliper piston size: 40x44mm caliper radial clearance:200.9 mm disc size.

I am looking for some advise. Questions does anyone currently use these and will they fit with Purner 17" wheels. I believe that with the four piston system they will fit. Also does anyone have experience with using these same brakes, with the front system should I move the fronts to the rear and install a porportioning valve.Any suggestions comments on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bernie,

The brakes that you described are quality brakes but they won't fit beneath your Purner wheels. You'll need at least 18's and they'll be tight and you may have to run spacers to clear the spokes. They'll also cost a lot for replacement parts as I believe the rotor cost is around $600 each. Wow!!!

To my knowledge I have the only 6 Piston Big Brake packages that will bolt on beneath the 17" wheels. I've got packages that go up to 13.75" x 1.38" using a 6 piston caliper for around $2,349.

Regards,

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave Tittle, will give you sound advice. You also need to be careful that your brake set up is balanced. Just putting the stock front calipers on the rear is not a great solution. You should also discuss this with Stop Tech, they are extremely knowledgeable with braking balance.

You all know my experience with brake kits that don't work and put you in life threatening situations.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ken,

I'm offended that you imply I'm a dumba$$ and need help from StopTech! Whassup? Last time I checked I've got more Viper and Vette packages in use than they do. No rear wheel fires or anything either!

FWIW, I would NEVER advocate putting stock fronts on the rear for the reasons you mentioned. Under normal circumstances, it just doesn't work.

I'm not sure why you brought that issue up in your post but along with alot of other gossip that I've heard lately it makes me want to clear the air a little. I'm not throwing stones at StopTech, I really like Bob, but I recently had a talk him concerning things that I'd heard. Just idle gossip, you know. But enough of it to hack me off. So I called their tech line to get the sales pitch and find out for myself. I was happy, but unhappy, as while they never mentioned me directly there were plenty of inferences regarding my quality, balance, or my status in the brake "pecking order". There were some pretty sinister things eluded to that were kind of shocking, no big deal. I guess they, and some others, have been under the impression that I advocate putting front calipers on the rear or that I require master cylinder changes. Or that I demand a prop valve be used with my kits. So in our conversation, we cleared that up. Again, no problem.

The truth is, I don't advocate any of those things. For some people that are willing to live with the inherent drawbacks, it's okay. But none of my kits require those changes and certainly weren't built with that philosophy. I have plenty of packages in use with factory master cylinders and no proportioning changes. Yes I build a prop valve package but simply for customers that want it because it fits their philosophy.

You also bring up the issue of balance. Now, and a hundred times before, I'll be happy to publish the nitty gritty of my packages along with details regarding the math and the bias. They are biased! They do work! They don't require changes like other kits and I'm happy to prove it. I won't gossip about it, I'll prove it!

To date some very technical and unbiased people have taken and processed the information. I guess they were skeptical and expected some major bias changes but they were ultimately impressed to find the numbers work. Really well in fact (Please check Seth Palatnick's recent Viper Days post). I personally don't know (or care) as I've never done the math on competitors systems, but some of those people actually say that StopTech's calculations are wrong.

What I do know is that the systems that I've built do what no other kit does. They're Big Kits that bolt-on front and rear. I have many choices for front and rear and you always keep your parking brake. Other little perks like no changes to the MC or proportioning are inherent.

Rather than have a bunch of nasty inferences or a pi$$ing match. Like I said, I'm certainly not throwing stones at StopTech brakes, but since you brought it up, I recommend that you and I publish our numbers and have some of the geeks on this board crunch the numbers and then show us the results. I ain't skeert!

For each corner, what are your:
Disk Diameters
Caliper Piston Quantity
Caliper Piston Diameter
Caliper Piston Depth
Pad Surface Area
What's the weight and CG of your car?
What tires are you using?

You show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Regards, Tittle

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by dtittle on 08-01-2001 at 02:14 PM</font>

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy do I love my stock brakes.
smile.gif

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

I am shocked that you fell I am throwing stones. Where did I say anything negative about your system? Where did I say that your system or any set up you offer puts the stock front calipers on the rear?

If you want to jump to conclusions like this, you are welcome and will certainly open yourself to the SMACK talking hall of fame.

You and I have always had a good relationship and my post was only trying to help Bernie Katz.

I have never heard any negative things about your brake packages or you. Wow, must be your time of month.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dave,
Unfortunately we all forget that the written word can not smirk, smile, frown, cajole, nearly as well as the spoken word, face to face. In reading Ken's comments, I think his initial reaction was to compliment you and your expertise, and then in mid stream he shifted gears to comment on Bernie's question in the initial paragraph. Bernie was questioning whether he should move front rotors to the rear. I am just saying this, as the way I read this ( innocent bystander #48, now buttin-ski #6 ) I immediately gathered he was referring to answering Bernie's queries. The comment on you was just an addendum that you are a good guy - my personal thought is you took Ken wrong.
I like you both so I will leave now, before I get in the middle of this ----- whoops, I already have. Talk to you both later, I have to go use the Men's room, and if you want to know how long I will be there, ask Mumford

Jon 98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tittle, back off a little, would ya?

Adelberg never even said anything even CLOSE to suggesting that your a "dumba$$" or that you needed an education from StopTech Univ. And his comment about putting the fronts on the rears was in reply to Bernie -- he did NOT imply that you suggested that...

I haven't met you but I'm not sure I want to if you so quick to light into somebody and say they called you a dumba$$ when they actually said you give "sound advice."

Wait a second... The hamsters are getting my mental flywheel up to speed... I just figured out what happened!

Tittle read Ken's post as:

"Dave Tittle,
Will you give sound advice?"

whereas Ken meant to write it as:

"Bernie,
Dave Tittle will give you sound advice."

Makes sense now, doesn't it? So to Tittle I say, "Adelberg's grammar skills **** but he isn't dyslexic. Go make nice to Kenny." And to Ken I say, "Glad to see spellchecker is working. Find something to help your punctuation. Be conciliatory (look it up) when Tittle responds."

Forget being an internet lawyer -- I should be the judge!!

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay Guys,

I probably did jump to conclusions even though it's not my time of the month. Maybe I was being a little "Thenthitive".
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I certainly understand how the INet and good old keyboard hide the smirk on ones face or feelings. It may appear that I get riled about things that get posted but this place is a bit of a stress reliever for me. And I like a little controversy sometimes.

Ken, there's certainly no animosity from me towards you. I think we are friendly and honestly feel like I owe you, Paul, Brett, Kid and all of the other "usual suspects" a steak dinner and beer for all of the knee slappers I've read here. I intended the opener as sarcastic and originally thought about adding "Pinoche" to make it apparent.

Like I was I understand that Ken was just trying to help Bernie. It just wasn't typed so well. You can read the post many ways and I'm blaming that pesky comma and that sneaky period for my misunderstanding.

Here's the good way to read it:

Dave Tittle will give you sound advice. (Thanks Ken!)

You (Bernie) also need to be careful that your brake set up is balanced. Etc.

Or the bad way:

Dave Tittle, (I) will give you sound advice. You (David Tittle) also need to be careful that your brake set up is balanced. (Implying it's not...and that I need to call StopTech) Etc.

Okay, so I'm the "Thenthitive", ******, dumba$$ who jumped to conclusions. Sorry Ken. The Omaha Steaks are on the way.

Peace, Tittle

P.S. I still wanna crunch the numbers!

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by dtittle on 08-01-2001 at 04:48 PM</font>

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ffoote,

If you used a dual master cylinder setup with a large bore MC for the rear it would work. Otherwise they require so much fluid volume that a properly matched front caliper would be from one of those super magga-woofer earth movers that are as big as a house and the master cylinder would need to be of coffe can proportions to flow that much fluid.

Tittle

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Chuck, we'll make it good for you.

Dave, you are a misinterpreting pinoch buttmunch!

Jon, my spelling got better since I quit racing and became a fire fighter. I have been attending night school to work on my spelling. Next semester is grammer.

My sweetheart Mumford and I are writing my novel, "When good brakes go bad."

WAR SMACK TALKERS

OP
OP
B

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="6">Hey Everyone, Sorry for the internet war games, I really just wanted a little advise, now I think I got a whole lot more than I bargained for, I think the stock brakes are awesome. Bill you really should go into stand up comedy. You definetely missed your calling.Just so everybody knows I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!</FONT s>

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jon, YOU'RE smackin grammer and spelling with Ken?
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jon 98GTS:
-----------
Adelberg never even said anything even CLOSE to suggesting that your a "dumba$$" or that you needed an education from StopTech Univ.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working on a 6 piston brake kit for the fronts right now, and a rear set to come later. It might be done in the next two weeks or so, Im hoping. This will be a trick brake kit and hopfully will be priced well under 2k for the fronts. It's a 6 piston caliper, drilled or slotted rotors or both , custom hat with pads and steel brake lines. And its over 7 lbs lighter than stock.I will post pics when its a done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte