Broke my B&M shifter - need info

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else who has broken a B&M shifter - who did you call about getting it replaced? Phone numbers would be helpful also. I bought it from Summit Racing, but didn't want to call them until I found out what others had done.
Granny shifting 1-2 on the way back from the gym at lunch, and it came off in my hand! (we are here..... to pump you up!) Bummer part was, I was in neutral....
Already replaced w/ a stock shifter by Steve at Valaya Racing. At my office. They are the best!
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke TWO B&M shifters, and I heard of at least 4 other guys on this site that did too.

I called B&M and was told "no, we never heard of that before" - yeah, whatever.

They did offer to refund my money however - even though I bought it from a local retailer. It has a lifetime warranty from B&M and they will send you the $$'s for the unit if you send it back.

Just call 'em and ask to speak to an engineer because you broke your shifter - the guy I talked to was very cool about it.

OP
OP
X

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked on the web, and called the 800 directory w/ no luck. Any info would be appreciated. Would they be listed under B&M? Are they owned by someone else?
Thanks!
Mark

Reaction score
Mark, call Bill at APEX 562-1000, they install the shifter and have them in stock. He may be able to fix your shifter or provide the phone numbers for you to contact B&M.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, 2 broken shifters in 1 year? I think you've seen enough of the gym. Just a thought, when you shift into any gear, when the shifter stops, stop pushing! See ya at the meeting.

OP
OP
X

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
That was my first shifter break, and it took me 4 years - Definitely not the gorilla that Mike Brunton is
smile.gif

I called Summit last night, and they said send it back, and if there are no signs of abuse, they'll replace it. Unsure of how they determine "shifter abuse"....
Anyway, thanks to all for your replies! Looks like I'm on the road to recovery.
Mark

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to reply to this one so late...

When I talked to B&M, they said they never heard of it before (like I said in my post). Only problem is I had gotten the name of a specific engineer from someone else on this site that had the problem. I confronted the guy about it and said I KNEW he had talked to at least one other person with the problem. I also explained I was not looking for an admission of culpability for a lawsuit, but rather I wanted to know if it was something they were acknowledging and fixing, or if the unit was inherently weak.

The guy said that they were originally using a liquid weld joint on the part of the shifter that connects the rod that goes into the transmission, to the horizontal bar that goes to the rod that goes into the shift knob. This liquid weld was failing on a high number of units, and they had since converted to a more reliable (and more expensive) weld. The guy was able to give me the part number and "manufactured date" cutoff point for the new welds vs. the old ones, so I could be sure the new shifter was of the new design.

When I got the new one, I compared the two, and the weld at the weak point is a LOT more beefy. Older shifters can be broken by a few hard shifts, the new ones would take superman to break them.

I wish B&M would admit the problem and replace them. I did miss a shift when mine broke and went from 2-1 instead of 2-3, causing a hair-raising situation on the highway as I was accelerating. I think that's why B&M doesn't admit the problem, so they don't open themselves up to a lawsuit.

Sorry for the long post - but that's what I found out. If anyone has a B&M break, and if you get a hard time from the place you bought it from, call up B&M directly. When my shifter broke, I had to get one locally at a hugely inflated price ($499), and I had paid $250 or so for the original. B&M refunded me $499 out of their pocket - no questions asked.

I was happy with their service overall, and they requested the old unit back to do an 'engineering analysis' on it.

Reaction score
Mike, you're exactly correct about the welds on the B&M. A couple years ago, I had heard the older ones were failing, but we'd never had a problem with them. (I guess we were using the newer design.) I called B&M and spoke with one of their sales guys, and he fully admitted they had a problem, but that they'd since fixed them quite a while ago.
Incidentally, I have them in stock, ready to ship. $499? No way! Try $289!!
smile.gif