Broke My Half Shaft - What Are My Options?

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.73s surely multiply the torque out of the hole.

It is more often than not, with relatively stock Vipers, that wheel hop breaks more 1/2 shafts than hp.

I agree, wheel-hop is what got me into trouble. Once it starts its better to scrub the run.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously you found the weak link in you drive line / power distribution. Replace the half shafts with Unitrax or an equal upgrade version. Your tranny is good to go and the clutch should be as well. If you are gonna go FI then sure upgrade the clutch and tranny if you like. That's my .02

:usa:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's my 800hp Unitrax and the new 1000hp Unitrax. Something to keep in mind is that a broken axleshaft could damge your differential, tear out a fuel line and your car burn to the ground (and yourself?). There are a lot of expensive parts in the area that a broken driveshaft can wreak havoc. Although I've been lucky I've probably broken about 50 driveshafts and have had a few of them poke holes in the floor right beside me.

You must be registered for see images

The lightwieght shafts are stock weight at 14# while the 800hp shafts are 18.5#

Ted

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The color on the inside of your driveshaft is blue: there you have the culprit :D

Seriously though, hopefully everything else is still in one piece. Going by everyone's advice it looks like it's time for a gear change and new suspension in addition to a set of 1000hp Unitrax half shafts.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most (probably every one) of the halfshaft failures I've seen have been twisted tubes. This is the first one I've seen where the yoke/spline assembly failed, but it's probably from whipping around after the tube collapsed. The tube is purposely designed to be the failure point, and any driveshaft shop can repair one for under $50. As has been mentioned previously, wheel hop/shock loading is what killed this one.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I twisted it the first run and then on the second run's launch, it took the spline out.

Oh well. Live and learn.:rolleyes:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I twisted it the first run and then on the second run's launch, it took the spline out.

Oh well. Live and learn.:rolleyes:

So you're gonna buy Koni yellow shocks just like I have on my blue car (Koni being a company originating from The Netherlands I'll have everyone know)?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960