BTR and NX

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since nitrous and propane are bottled in a pressurized gaseous state, they atomize well and won't puddle like fuel does and will which can cause rich/lean spikes. Propane in itself has a very high octane content and helps protect against detonation and such. One nice thing about Tom's kit is that your not robbing fuel from from your system since the propane is your catalyst. The kits I've installed utilize a WOT switch to activate the first stage and the second stage is push button activated via Tom's custom shifter. That may have change and Tom can correct me if I'm incorrect. NX builds a very nice kit and you can't go wrong with that choice either IMHO. It seems most of the Viper's in the mid to low 9's are using the NX direct port system and I'm sure a few will respond.

PS Tom owes me if you purchase one of his systems, Rich ;)

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had to guess at about 143-144 mph :eek: with BTR system....... Do I get one too????

Cudaman :usa:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rdustman:

I have run both kits. They will both work. The key is to realizing that each install ends up being a little different and your success comes from proper tuning of the a/f. No manufacturer can guarantee what exact jet size nets you the predicted a/f and hp.

A lot of people don't give Tom Welch (BTR)enough credit. Few people realize how much Tom has helped NOS (brand type) systems become very viper compatible. In my opinion his complete offering has had more impact on the viper community than that of any other manufacturer/tuner. Look where the access to viper speed parts was prior to Tom coming on the scene.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry I have not chimed in sooner, out flying this week.

Concerning our kits, the basic NOS/Propane kit is a single stage activation from a WOT switch and requires no maintenance or input from the driver other than throttle position with the right foot. The propane is an excellent fuel supplement for high concentrations of nitrous injection without the detrimental effects of detonation (the killer of any engine)

Our two stage systems do involve a second activation source that can be accomplished a few different ways and I recommend two stages for traction challenged cars or poor track conditions.

We have over 400 of these kits in use in Vipers with absolutely NO ill effects. The NOS/BTR Brand kit may cost a bit more initial purchase but is more complete and makes a very clean installation. The most important difference is that our kit does not use any of the engine fuel delivery system for nitrous supplementation. The engine fuel system on the viper is only capable of approx 580 hp before the effects of leaning and detonation become evident. Once this 580 hp milestone has been reached a supplemental fuel system will be required with the NX kit...this being some or all of the following; a fuel cell, higher capacity fuel pump and lines, etc. NX makes a fine product but one must consider what needs to be accomplished with these kits in order to achieve maximum potential of the product and add that to the price. Also, NX parts are not as easy to find while NOS parts such as jets and injectors are available at most any performance shop in the US.

Everything is about choice and I am happy with the choice of systems that I sell and use on my own Vipers. I have the greatest respect for both of these brands and regardless of which one you choose, your performance increase will be the undisputed best gain for the dollar..period!

Best of luck in your search,

Tom

P.S. Love ya Larry..........

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus,it's a long time fact that nitrous shot from time to time can keep you motor mean,lean,and clean.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of safety equipment is included with the BTR kit (i.e. fuel pressure safety switch, rpm window switch, etc.)? Also, how can someone easily detect a propane leak (just in case)?

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of safety equipment is included with the BTR kit (i.e. fuel pressure safety switch, rpm window switch, etc.)? Also, how can someone easily detect a propane leak (just in case)?

Have a parrot ride shotgun? Sorry, I couldn't resist...

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thought of getting rear ended (which I did) with a NOS bottle in the back, seems frightening to me. Is it really dangerous or not so much? I guess what I am asking is if a rear impact is large enough to smash the bottle, can it turn your trunk into a bomb? Sorry if this sounds newbyish -- I am curious.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By checking the pressure gauge on the nitrous and propane bottle(after you shut off the flow valve), you
can tell if you have a leak, and how bad.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have to say, Tom from BTR NEVER pressures ANYBODY into a purchase! he is always straight foward, gives you the info you want, delievers his product's sales pitch, and backs away. other guys like to throw in why the other guy's product ***** as well.....kudos to you Tom

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have over 400 of these kits in use in Vipers with absolutely NO ill effects.

Tom

P.S. Love ya Larry..........
Tom,
Do you think it's fair to make a comment like that? You don't have to mention to new customers problems you've had in the past but to represent your product as having "absolutely NO ill effects" is not being honest :confused: .
What about Florida VCA member Tony Gomez's 2000 ACR?

Ross

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a parrot ride shotgun? Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Geez... sorry I asked. ..l..

I was just goofing, Alan, apologies if you took it the wrong way. If a propane leak were to arise, you'd definitely be able to smell the gas. The odor is unmistakable, almost like a burned differential fluid is the best way I can describe it. I've never encountered a propane leak using Tom's system that I can recall.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I might have gotten it wrong, thought they once used Parrot's in mine shafts? Either way, just joking...Are you back, Tom?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They used canaries. I think I spelled that right. I'm sure, at least, that I have the right bird!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry,

Will be back tomorrow night late..........any racing action this weekend? Im hoping to have a little neon ready for action by the weekend.

Tom

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry,

Will be back tomorrow night late..........any racing action this weekend? Im hoping to have a little neon ready for action by the weekend.

Tom

I just installed the Mopar Performance Stage 1 mod on a friend's Neon SRT-4 and was quite impressed with the performance gain Vs stock. Can't wait to see how well your N2O/Propane does Tommy Boy. No racing action this weekend except for a little Porsche GTG on Saturday.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what kind of fuel pump would I need to go to if I wanted to do a 250-300 shot? Is that all I'd need to upgrade? would the fuel pump booster from Sean Roe work for this application?