Bullrun, anyone entering???

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bullrun is doing another in June. From Calgary to Phoneix. I'd love to do it, but the 20K is too much for me to justify as an entry fee. Anyone else?

Here's the link to enter and 2008 Rally specs and info.

Bullrun

Be nice to see a Viper this time.

Ted

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the whole 1st season and loved it
I was like, "I've driven that road before" or "I know that area, I could beat all those guys"

I bought my Viper right as the show ended and I thought a Viper would kill any of those cars - it's reliable, handles well, cruises at high speed, and of course is crazy fast
The only bad part is there are times when the car may suffer some minor damage

A Roe s/c Viper with some suspension and brake mods would easily beat any of the cars from the first season
Just need a good driver and navigator ;)

If it is going to be in the West again, I'd kill the competition. I've driven everystate between CA to CO and AZ to Canada. I know central NV and all of ID like the back of my hand and I grew up traveling NorCal.
I just wish my Viper was in a position to compete... and that I was a better track driver:rolleyes:

-Tim

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm, got the 20K?

One of the big advantages, I think is the Viper gets about 20mpg. That makes a big difference. I remember the 68 Charger did tons of gas stops because he was getting 9mpg.

I'm going to send them an email and see what the rules and regulatioms are. Might even be worth chasing down some sponsors to come up with the entry fee.

Ted

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I watched the whole 1st season and loved it
I was like, "I've driven that road before" or "I know that area, I could beat all those guys"

I bought my Viper right as the show ended and I thought a Viper would kill any of those cars - it's reliable, handles well, cruises at high speed, and of course is crazy fast
The only bad part is there are times when the car may suffer some minor damage

A Roe s/c Viper with some suspension and brake mods would easily beat any of the cars from the first season
Just need a good driver and navigator ;)

If it is going to be in the West again, I'd kill the competition. I've driven everystate between CA to CO and AZ to Canada. I know central NV and all of ID like the back of my hand and I grew up traveling NorCal.
I just wish my Viper was in a position to compete... and that I was a better track driver:rolleyes:

-Tim

Do you remember those guys getting in trouble for speeding (I think the Lotus was the culprit)? The televised reality version of the Bullrun is more about navigation than it is raw power or speed. When the guys in the Ford F150 filmed the Lotus guys speeding, they got penalized.

That was one of the things I thought was lame about the show. I don't expect them to condone reckless driving or speeding, but turning a deaf ear on minor infractions should be expected, especially when they're using the name "Bull Run" and allowing cars capable of twice the speed limit to compete.

Bottlefed, your navigation skills would serve you well, but bringing all that horsepower to the table won't turn the tables in your favor until you got to the track competitions. Half the fun of those rallies are driving like an @$$, so I'd rather compete in the real version of the Bull Run as opposed to the watered-down TV version.

The site also said that it's not being filmed for the U.S. this year. I guess Spike decided not to pick it up.

Plum, if the rally is anything like the Gumball, the $17k would cover 5-star accommodations for the duration of the rally, as well as paying the staff that ran security for the cars at each stop, food, parties, venue rental, etc. The Gumball was somewhere in the ballpark of $60-70k last year (I think) because of the trans-Atlantic flight mid-rally and the number of continents visited.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you remember those guys getting in trouble for speeding (I think the Lotus was the culprit)? The televised reality version of the Bullrun is more about navigation than it is raw power or speed. When the guys in the Ford F150 filmed the Lotus guys speeding, they got penalized.

That was one of the things I thought was lame about the show. I don't expect them to condone reckless driving or speeding, but turning a deaf ear on minor infractions should be expected, especially when they're using the name "Bull Run" and allowing cars capable of twice the speed limit to compete.

Bottlefed, your navigation skills would serve you well, but bringing all that horsepower to the table won't turn the tables in your favor until you got to the track competitions. Half the fun of those rallies are driving like an @$$, so I'd rather compete in the real version of the Bull Run as opposed to the watered-down TV version.
Yeah, I understood the rules - no speeding
The Viper would shine in the competitions. That is where the HP and handling come into play. As shown by the F150, you don't need a great trackcar to stay in the running, but to win you must be able to score high in the competitions also.
It comes down to driver and naviagator in the runs. And as RTTTTed said, the Viper's mpg would help. Not to mention those few highspeed bursts when nobody is around ;)

BTW, as far as the speeding part, that only happened whent he F150 guys got jelous and competitive. Early on in the show, it showed the cars doing highspeed runs past each other and everyone thought it was fun. As soon as things started to heatup and the F150 team realized they were out of their league, they had to use any advantage they could find. In this case filming the Lotus team doing 5mph over the speedlimit.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the commercials for the original series were kind of misleading. They showed the Murcielago, the old Charger, the Lotus, the M3; they made it look like a bunch of exotics going head to head. Throw in some big explosions and some action on the track and it looked to be promising!

Cut to the show, where they have trucks and Scions and Hondas and Nissans in the mix and speeding isn't allowed.

I agree; the Viper would dominate on the closed-course events, and as far as speeding goes "it's only illegal if you get caught." If the entry fee was waived or discounted for the televised event I'd consider it, but paying $20k to race against average cars at average speeds doesn't hardly seem worth it. I'd rather drop the 20k on the real road-going event and mix it up with some big boys and to a good old-fashioned poker run. The watered-down television version just got campy after a while.

Sorry to rant. I was just disappointed with the TV show.

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, it says they're taping TV for 98 countries - other than the US. It's not the Spike TV show although they'll be notifying later if/when they're doing casting. It's a rally, although I'm not sure if they're doing disqualifications for going to fast or not. They had penalties on the TV show. This one has 100 cars competing. They say the 20K is rooms, meals, etc.

Ted

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now THAT'S more like it! More cars, more like a rally, hopefully less reality TV crap. Get rid of Goldberg and I'll watch...from another country.:(

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's quite a few Viper Club members in Calgary so I'm sure there'll be some coverage. The answer I got to my reply didn't contain much info, but there was some interest in the club attending the start ceremonies so maybe we'll have a small event there?

I always take my digital camera and since it records action, maybe there'll be a movie or two? I'm looking forward to the event. It's about 800mi. from here, but that gives me a good excuse to put on some miles.

Thanks for the interest.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Bullrun is also doing a "Shelby Run" (see the webpage).

Ted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc