Bummer

viperbuck93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was reading in a thread last week on Viper values and was surprised at how low the examples of the values of the posts that the people were sending in. Understanding the economy and that the value of everything has depleted, but a Viper is a limited number car (less than 30,000 I belive)Have the values of Vipers really dropped that much, or were these all bad examples? I paid around 33,000 for my Gen 1 (#241) three and a half years ago, and was surprised t some of the Gen 1 examples. The car is in excelent condition so I know it was a fair price at the time. Don't get me wrong, the car is my dream car no matter what it's value. just curious? :dunno:

By the way, it was awsome to see all the Vipers here in town for VOI 11. What a rush!!! :2tu: :2tu::2tu:

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the others were but i payed $22,500 for my 94 rt/10 with 50,000 miles on the clock and in great shape.

I thought it was cheap, and was glad to be able to afford my dream car in my lifetime, i always thought these cars would be out of reach my whole life, but i just bit the bullet and made it happen.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I purchased my viper about year and half ago the prices were in the mid to low 40's, I got a banging deal at 35k out the door for my 97 gts with 30k miles...now you can pick a lower mile newer gts for 35k...I do believe the prices will bump up in future...

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2007 (When I bought mine) prices were high. The next year the bottom fell out. I got a great deal at the time but if I had waited a year I would have saved thousands. Do I regret it...... NO!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion "quality" Vipers are still selling for descent money and holding their value fairly well. That said everything is down with this economy.

I should also probably mention everybodies idea of what a "quality" Viper is varies.

Prices also vary based on color and condition. Needless to say the low production colors will demand more etc...

There is also a lot of junk on the market giving the impression of deflated prices IMHO.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get wrapped up in these conversations. Like Dave said if you're worried about the value others place on your car then you purchased it for the wrong reason.

The "value" of any item is highly subjective. Personally, I purchased my Viper when the cost matched my personal value of the item in question. Even if other individuals do not always place similar personal value on my car over time, I can always be happy that I purchased one when my personal value and cost lines met.

Value is like beauty, it all depends on your personal perspective.

My .02

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that the range has changed in the past year at all. It just depends on how badly people want to get rid of their cars.

Nick

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my Viper early while my teen aged sons were at home and we could all play together one last time under the same roof. Invest outside of the retail car market if you want to build wealth. Buy a used car to drive....:drive:, unless it is some rare Ferrari, Bugatti, or something or other. If I want something to put on a shelf, I buy models. "collect em all";)

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A sign of the times.The economy is really bad and everything from cars to houses are selling ultra cheap. Almost couldn't give our house away in Texas but still glad we sold and we got a great deal on our new property. What goes around comes around as i have seen all my life and i still think Vipers will make a comeback.Meanwhile enjoy it for what ya bought it for.:drive:

OP
OP
V

viperbuck93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you bought your Viper as an investment you screwed up.

Money should go in the bank, cars in the garage. Not visa-versa.

I did not buy it as an investment, nor did I say that. I am simply stating that I am surprised there is that much drop in value on something that is not mass produced (like a vette). When I purchased my viper it was 14 years old and I paid that much $$$$$ because it was my dream car, it held it's value for 14 yrs and of course I did think it would continue to hold if not increase. That being said I would not sell my Gen. 1 even if I purchased another Viper, but it would be comforting to know that if it came to me having to sell it for financial reasons or something, that I did not loose my shorts.

By the way, I do enjoy your comments, usually make me laugh. :dunno:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure the economy is bad, and it is a big contributing factor but I think the biggest reason some Gen II's are going so cheap is buyers can't finance an older car so they have to pay cash...

I got a great deal on my car 12 months ago (one owner, 7k miles, full documentation) and if someone got a better deal, good for them. I don't plan on selling my Viper ever as it was a dream car of mine growing up....

Hopefully the prices keep dropping when the Gen V comes out so I can add a nice Gen III or Gen IV to the garage.