Buying a Prior Gen After Buying a Gen V

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it dawns on me that i havent driven a manual transmission in 20 years and havent been in a viper in several. Was toying with the idea of actually picking up a prior generation model. I think Gen I is too raw and old skewl...ACR too unrealistic and I really like the body style of the Gen II best of them all (hence my love of the gen V) so I was considering #129 of the Final Edition. The listing is only $52k and I believe I can grab the car for in the 40's. Is it a good idea or has the car changed so much since 2002 that its a moot point?

Not sure how to post here but the subject car is on Marshall Goldman's inventory. Very low miles and looks like it was someone's baby. Does anyone here know this car?

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each of the generations are different but they're all fun. Most of my seat time is gen 1 so far, but I've driven all 5 of the generations. The biggest difference from the gen 1/2 to the gen 3/4 to me was the pedals. The 1/2 have very heavy pedals that you definitely have to push. The gen 3/4 pedals are a little less effort to push down. Other than that I think they will feel similar in my opinion.

There ought to be a couple guys close to that dealer that could look in person. If not let me know, I'm not all that far away.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having had a Gen I, II, and IV, I think that if I were to have a Gen V and was looking for another viper, I would look at the I or II. The Gen I is just classic Viper, no frills, all silly fun. It feels so pure. You have the windows and modern comfort and conveniences in the V so go for something that is back to the roots. The IV is by far the best driving of the generations out now but I imagine that if I had the V, that wouldn't be a concern as much. My vote would be a I or II, no question. If you are going with a Gen II, the Final Edition like you are thinking is a great way to go. I loved mine.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the responses are appreciated. hadnt considered heavier peddles in the 1st two gen's. good info to consider since i have an old left leg injury which obviously would be the clutch peddle leg. the car i liked was the red with white stripes: www.mgmsl.com looks like #129 of the final edition. based upon appearance and mileage it looks like it was someone's baby but i know that documentation on services and maintenance is all that matters for history. OH seems to have a great car community in general. I know a Countach owner from CT whom ships his car out there for services and trusts no one else with his bull. I personally bought my gallardo from there undriven and unseen and it was everything my salesman said it would be. maybe a coincidence. in any event it appears that lots of snake owners have more than one. and i'm sure its for good reason. My gen V is going on a 4 post lift and will be brought down every sunday for exercise. thought it might be cool to grab another snake for saturday too and what i think i love about the gen V is that to me itl ooks like a gen II on steroids so i love the gen II; i love the look so I'm stuck on it:D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can get to a gen 1 or 2 to sit in and feel the clutch it would probably be a good idea. The heavier feel is not impossible, just more taxing over time. I very much dislike heavy traffic with it, but for normal cruising around it's fine. Most everything else felt similar going from my gen 1 to the others. They still have that feel of a low, wide, torque monster of a car with a nose that seems to extend for 30 feet.

Ohio does have plenty of nice cars around and several good service options. I used to stop by several of the dealers near by as a kid to oogle at the inventory and dream of buying one some day.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGMSL is a pretty good dealership. They deal in exotics only. I was actually in their store years ago looking at Vipers with my dad. If they have the car it's a quality example. Not too far from my house either so I may be able to check it out for you if it comes to that. :)

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go for a 96-99 for the 708 cam and forged internals if that is important to you. I just love the rumble and shake with the 708!!! :D

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have ever driven an older sports car with a performance clutch, anything else will feel like a feather :) Serioulsy though, the clutch on my 99 RT10 is not heavier than most sports cars I have driven...and like BrianGTS said, the most popular years for Gen2 are 96-99, because of the cam and forged internals. If you need ABS, go for a newer Gen2....Good luck in your search.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unless you have a really serious injury with your left knee that won't allow you to walk, I can't imagine the clutch on the earlier cars being too heavy. Legs are meant to move heavy things. The clutch pedals are not that heavy.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the Gen 2, nothing looks as classic as a slightly lowered GTS with a little larger tire and wheel combo. I'm a no stripes type of guy, and a solid color would look clean (especially all black or all white with aftermarket rims to compliment).

This way you can beat on it a little, park it anywhere without too much stress and still have a Viper that would fit right in at any Cars & Coffee. Plus, if you do decide to go a little crazy and start some basic mods, this is a great platform with many proven modification combinations.

I just drove a Gen 2 with the BBG clutch upgrade and it was as soft as a stock Gen 4. Call Toddy and he can give you mulitple options. Clutch effort would be the last thing I'd be worried about with what's available today.

Get the Gen 2 and enjoy youself!!

Cheers,
George

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the Gen 2, nothing looks as classic as a slightly lowered GTS with a little larger tire and wheel combo. I'm a no stripes type of guy, and a solid color would look clean (especially all black or all white with aftermarket rims to compliment).

I couldn't agree more, George!! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Wedge500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the Gen 2 GTS cars and the forged internals and 708 cam were the main reasons I decided on picking up my 98 and have never regretted that decision.

As mentioned above, I personally don't think the pedals feel too heavy. Then again I did get rid of a 4-speed Cuda before getting the GTS and it did have a heavy clutch pedal.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blacksnake -very nice machine. Trackaire - I ordered stripe delete on the gen V model so I agree. a gen II with rear exhaust pipes instead of side pipes would be a cool compliment to the other model. evolutionary concept.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, George!! :)

Damn, there you go!! You could put that car in any major city in Italy, Germany or the UK and it would make other supercars hard to notice if parked next them. The GTS looks great whether parked or moving. Some cars only look good from certain angles....not so with the GTS.

Nice car!!

Cheers,
George

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd go with a gen II RT/10 since you already have a coupe in the Gen V. It is an amazing feeling driving with the top off at 100 mph...then again I am biased :D

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 2002 #324 FE and now a 2006 coupe. I prefer the looks of the Gen II, the ride of the Gen III. I also found the hood of the FE a bit of a hassle compared to the Gen III.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with a gen II RT/10 since you already have a coupe in the Gen V. It is an amazing feeling driving with the top off at 100 mph...then again I am biased :D

:headbang:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than it's cool to have a gen 2 next to the 5 in garage, I think it's a Huge mistake imo. I dont think you will like the ride and feel (cheapness) of the gen 2 when compared to the new one. Take that 40K you will save and use it for mods on the new one, and some private driving instructions! Flame suit on :eater:

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awww snap...or use the 40k to build another garage extension?....seriously look at these few cars posted they look brandy new!....Zee i think yours is better than the new launch edition!! the break up on the front facia of the white stripes is all wrong on the V....and all correct on the II...u know guys its funny i had this idea when checking out #129 because a day or two later a video surfaced of a II v. V track comparo...i'm not alone!! its on this forum in the gen v section!:cool:

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than it's cool to have a gen 2 next to the 5 in garage, I think it's a Huge mistake imo. I dont think you will like the ride and feel (cheapness) of the gen 2 when compared to the new one. Take that 40K you will save and use it for mods on the new one, and some private driving instructions! Flame suit on :eater:

What you interpret as 'cheapness' I interpret as vintage muscle feel. You like a high quality GT tourer, I prefer a modern interpretation of a Daytona Cobra. The Gen II GTS recalls the Daytona and the Gen V recalls the Gen II. The great thing is, now everyone can have what they want.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no doubt the gen 2 looks awesome, but are you seriously going to be happy driving that thing around after getting out of the gen 5? If all you are going to use it as sat night cruiser at 55mph then it's ok. But if you are going to go for early sunday morning drives on twisty mountain roads then I say it's not the car for you. I had FE #117 btw. Car was a neck breaker (literally) lol..

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no doubt the gen 2 looks awesome, but are you seriously going to be happy driving that thing around after getting out of the gen 5? If all you are going to use it as sat night cruiser at 55mph then it's ok. But if you are going to go for early sunday morning drives on twisty mountain roads then I say it's not the car for you. I had FE #117 btw. Car was a neck breaker (literally) lol..

Lol. I love Sunday morning drives on twisty mountain (well, hilly) roads in my Gen II. It's an 800hp go-kart!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. I love Sunday morning drives on twisty mountain (well, hilly) roads in my Gen II. It's an 800hp go-kart!

I'm sure your 800hp go cart is far from stock ;) I'm not knocking the gen 2 guys, I owned one and loved it. It just cant compare to the new one in refinements and ride.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the stock suspension on a gen 2 ride that rough? I wouldn't know.:D

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped by Marshall G and I could see the car from the windows, I did not have a good view by any means but if you are interested in it, it would be worth looking into. The car has a great presence and if your looking for Gen 2 might be a great example. I enjoy my 97 very much and have converted 2 friends to Gen 2 also. The bang for the buck is well worth it , you can't lose now on them when paying fair money for a quality car that will age well and is still desirable in the market place.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends one what you are after. The Gen2s unrefinement is what I wanted in a toy. They should be more of a challenge to drive, that's what makes them a fun car. I do not a have a current one to compare to my 96, but I can tell you I have a nice refined new Jeep and still prefer to take my CJ7 when it's just a drive to drive. I guess when it come down it, do you want a car that gets you places or takes you places? I can see as I type I find myself further away from the higher educated buyer that SRT is looking for. I guess it's great we have all these distinct models to pick from, not everyone is looking for the same experience out of a car. The GTS is not my daily driver so the refinements that make the new one nice to drive daily mean nothing in the end to me.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends one what you are after. The Gen2s unrefinement is what I wanted in a toy. They should be more of a challenge to drive, that's what makes them a fun car. I do not a have a current one to compare to my 96, but I can tell you I have a nice refined new Jeep and still prefer to take my CJ7 when it's just a drive to drive.

HA!! There must be some sort of Gen II---CJ7 connection! Maybe it's a personality disorder. Here's my CJ.....

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know some think its smart and others silly, but we all like different things. I'm getting a V but it'll be a while, I'm waiting for aero etc. I've thought about keeping my IV or what I might do. I have a GT500 with a pano roof and 620rwhp, but I'm thinking with the V coupe I may want a vert. I track all my cars, I tracked my gen2, and I've thought about what you are, get a nice gen2 but I'd do a RT10 and use as a vert. Go **** exhaust and some mods just for fun. Wouldn't track it. But I dunno. It's an interesting thought but I've got time to figure it out. No wrong answers for you really. I do agree on the yr, I'd go 98-99 if I could find a nice one myself.