Buying a Viper from eBay, so how's it been for you guys?

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am checking out eBay pretty heavy looking for a deal on a Viper. But I definitely have reservations about buying unseen. How has it worked out for everyone here? I am sure I'm not the only one.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought 2 Vipers on e bay from southern Cal. Paid for them using Paypal. No problems with the transactions. They both checked ok on car fax but I also found an appraiser in the town to go over and check it out..was 150.00 for that.
Sometimes a club member will do it for a few bucks but it's hard to do when you aren't insured for the 'you checked it but not perfect' problem. Good Luck

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am thinking I will have to ask the owner to take it to a Dodge dealer for an inspection before buying plane tickets.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I did not buy my car from eBay but Did find it on the internet. My car was advertised in the VCA Classifieds section. I contacted the owner of the car and also got a friend of mine to put up a post on the VCA fourms asking if anybody would be willing to check out the car for me. ;) I got a carfax search done and paid for the buyback cover.
2 VCA members looked at the car for me, and both said it was great :2tu:
I also contacted some members to find out who the seller was. I could not get over to the States due to work reasons. I wanted to see the car Started up from cold to check for any signs of smoking or head gasket dammage, so the owner made a video of the car starting up and posted it up on 'You Tube' [media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TcoiMfwt6aY[/media] I liked what I saw and transfered my monies!!! Thankfully everything went great :2tu: Do your research and good luck :2tu:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my Viper sight-unseen and didn't lay eyes on it until the driver unloaded it in my driveway. I also sold my Z06 where the buyer never saw the car in person, either. Neither were inspected by third parties. Just tons of pics, some discussion on the phone, and then $$ wired. Speaking to someone a few times is mandatory (as opposed to just emailing), as it allows you get a "feel" for the seller and how he represents himself and the car. I also bought my Caprice without ever seeing it. My wife and I flew in and drove it home 400mi. I can honestly say I've never had a sour deal or bought a bad car. Lucky that way, I guess.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a CARFAX!!!! :nono: I had two vehicles in the past that were involved in accident's and were repaired through insurance at a body shop. When I was looking for a used car 2 years later, I spent $20 for unlimited Carfax for 1 month. I entered the 2 VIN #'s of my vehicle's that were involved in the accident's and NOTHING showed up at all!! :omg: A totally clean report. When I asked the body shop that did the repair as to why nothing came up through carfax, he stated that if the VIN # does not have to be run to order any parts, then nothing will show up on Carfax. :confused:
Your call, but I think it is a joke and a waste of money after what I experienced.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax for the most part is junk. Just because something doesn't show on it, does not mean that the car is accident free.

I have bought some cars through only mailing pics back and forth. Only one deal went sour and it is was due to the previous owner being simply a liar and tried to hide several issues with the car. When I called him on his lies he took it further and refused to send some parts that he had agreed to send free of charge. But, as always, what goes around, comes around. This was on a 300ZXTT. Things work in funny ways...later in life I ran into the same guy into a Corvette forum. He was complaining about someone screwing on some deal on wheels...when I brought up what he had done before he simply disappeared...LOL.

Aaaaaaaanywho. Yes, get on the phone and talk several times to the seller. You should get a pretty good idea of what kind of person you are dealing with. If possible, send a local member to check out the car, take additional photos and/or video.

Good luck!

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found my Viper online but then I drove 250 miles each way on two separate occasions to check out the car. I used CarFax also but CarFax can only report what is reported to them. Many times accidents are not reported or slipped through the cracks. Just because CarFax shows no problems does not necessarily mean there were no problems. I checked mine out in person then had it professionally checked out. :drive:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry You had a bad experence with carfax. However, Im very greatfull they exist. Just over a year ago I saw a black / silver GTS advertised in a car dealers in northen england. I contacted members of the UK VCA, who in turn contacted the Wizzard who ran a factory check on the car for me to make sure all the recall work had been done on the car. Everything looked good :)
In the United Kingdom we have a simmlar check to carfax which is called an 'HPI Check' this tells you if there is any outstanding finance owed on the car and also if it has had any insurance related history. The HPI Check also said the car was Ok. So I went to the bank, paid the dealer the deposit and waited for the cheques to clear.
While all this was happening, I got a email from a VCA Member who had done a 'Carfax Search' for me....... The car VIN No 1B3ER69E3XV503422 Had been involved in a serious accident and was reported as a total loss, The car was issued with a Salvage ticket on 06/12/2001 Cert of Destruction!!!!! Title No 79819106.
I can not put into words just how sick I felt at that time :mad:
I was able to stop the cheques, but had to fight for over 2 months to get my deposit monies back. Luckly the credit card refunded my deposit, but I had to cancle my credit card and get issued with another one. I ended up getting the Police involved and the UK licence agency :mad:

So if any company can offer some history of a car, its worth every dollar ;)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a CARFAX!!!! :nono: ...........Your call, but I think it is a joke and a waste of money after what I experienced.

I would definitely recommend checking CARFAX if you plan on buying a Viper. If there is a negative report on CARFAX, you will find that there are less people willing to take a risk, and the value of the car is probably less than one with a clean CARFAX.

Like the others said, you can't depend on CARFAX to show up an accident; but, if it does, you need to know that also.

ddavidms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Carfax is only good as a pre check before you spend any time or $$$ to go see the car or have it checked out. I recently bought a 96 Viper GTS and I learned a lot. If you are going to have a Dodge Dealer do an inspection ask to speak to the tech to see what he knows and what he will be looking for (some are clueless). I suggest putting a detailed list together of what may be of concern to you. In the 3-4 months I spent looking I have only seen one car that did not have prior paint work and now I own that car. Every carfax was clean and every owner stated no prior paint work. Your 1st assumption should be that the car is being sole because it may have a problem. I got burned once and I learned!!! If a shipper is picking it up also ask the driver picking up the car to call you as they do the walk around when they pick it up. BE VERY CAREFUL. Good luck!! You will really enjoy the car after all the hard work!

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of those cars on Ebay are also VCA members which is a good place to buy from also you can ask the clubs etc if they know the car, ask the owner on Ebay if he is familiar with the VCA, where he is from etc and have a VCA member take a look for you, we are very familiar with these cars and know what to look for.

FLX109

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found my car on Ebay then bought it through the VCA classifieds. I bought it sight unseen but I did investigate the seller who has an excellent reputation both on these boards and through his business. I couldn't be happier with the purchase, thank you Paul Scharf. 31,000 miles later I'm still having a ball. By the way, it has a salvage title but you wouldn't know it, it was Paul's personal B/W GTS.

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought mine on eBay about 9 months ago. I used Carfax but agree with all the other posts about it. It can show negative things... like one had been registered in Louisiana during the hurricane Katrina... then shipped to Virginia for some repairs... then was being sold in Georgia! You wouldn't know that from just looking at a car. But I also know for a fact that Carfax can be missing information - or in the case of one of my other cars... actually have a wreck noted on my car -WHILE I OWN IT - and it's not ever been in a wreck. So, I recommend checking Carfax... but don't rely on it 100%.
Put the minimum down payment on it until you can look at it and have it inspected professionally. Remember, buyers can't get negative feedback anymore!
Good luck!

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Check with the local Viper club, see if someone in the area can check out the car for you. Also check out "autotrader"

good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang