Buying my first Viper and am paranoid... need advice.

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!
I am so excited because I have sold my 'cuda and am buying a Viper. I definitely should be putting the money away for my kid's education, but I just can't help myself! The one that I'm looking at is from the Chicago area. It is a 2001 ACR in Sapphire Blue. It doesn't have stripes (kind of wish it did, but...). It has a little over 5K miles. He is the second owner - he was a friend of the first owner. According to the owner, it is absolutely mint and has had oil changes every 1k miles (doesn't have receipts for this, however). The car was actually picked up at the assembly line and he has a one hour video on the car from the assembly line. It also has original window sticker, invoice and a ton of other goodies like that. The guys swears he's never done a burnout because of the cost of tires, but he has got on it from 2nd gear and chirped the tires, etc. Admitted he did have it up over 140mph, so that lends itself to his credibility, I think. There are no paint chips or scratches, etc. He's says it looks brand new. He says tires look new, also. He has put on a Borla exhaust system (around $1200 I think he said) and an after market gas cap. Also included are car cover and bra, original exhaust (saved in borla box)and original gas cap.
The asking price is 63K, but I would be able to offer 61K. It's been for sale for a while. The car is unfortunately out of warranty.
So, my questions are:
1) What do you think?
2) Is the car worth 61K?
3) I don't have any good Sapphire Blue/no stripes car pictures? How does it look?
4) What should I be worried about?

I am paranoid because I have this sign on my head that says "My name is Mike and you can screw me over". I just don't seem to have a lot of luck with these sorts of purchases.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions,
Thanks,
Mike

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A warranty is very nice to have and can be purchased through one of the many dealers on this site (Tator's Dodge 914-763-3136). Are you stuck on the 01's? Do you want to mod the car? 99's were the last year for the forged pistons, better year for modification, but you get ABS in 2001. Just depends on what you want. There is a 99 ACR for sale for $50K I believe here and the alley. $61 is not a great deal, but not a rip either. Make sure you find somebody that is trust worthy to look the car over for you! Usually someone on this board that lives near you will offer to help, good luck.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike. Best of luck to you in your search.

I will keep my eye out for you for an ACR.

Sorry our deal didn't work out but as you know...money talks.

61K is a decent price but with the car having 5K miles and it being out of warranty...I would be happy with 58-59K

Remember mine had only 1400 miles and was still in warranty for another 6 months.

Sapphire GTS's are VERY cool looking rides but are a bit on the conservative side. So if you want more flash...red or yellow is your best bet.

What you should be worried about?

Nothing...just go through all the paces like you did with me and you should be ok. If you are unsure about a car...ask a VCA member here to check it out for you.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
That is a beautiful color combo !!!Do your homework: Check this site for the guide on buying used vipers, run a Carfax, and run it's VIN thru a Dodge Dealer computer as an important crosscheck. Contact local VCA members for help, and have the car inspected by a Viper Tech...or arrange an appt. at the shop of the Ill. Pres.(Chicago area) Others will undoubtedly chime in with other useful thoughts. Good luck !!

OP
OP
G

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies! This site is so awesome!! I think I'm mostly stuck on 2001-2002 because of the ABS. I do plan on keeping the car stock and not doing any more mods. If I go for the Chicago car, I will definitely pay somebody from this site to check the car out prior to purchase. I am waiting for pics on car which should arrive tomorrow (he's taking them tonight/tomorrow).
Hi Toby!!
Yes, you did break my heart :) but you were totally ethical and honest with me in all of our emails/telephone conversation. I just couldn't send a deposit until the deal on my 'cuda was done (more paranoia) - which was just a day or so after you sold your viper. I have to come clean and say that I never told you that I read just about every one of your posts on this site (and the other site) under your name for the last 6 months - as a character reference (and - yes, you passed of course). It's funny because the first question I asked the guy with the blue ACR was if he posted on any sites... :)
Mike

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just curious, why are you goldfish?????

Cudaman :usa: 2001 R/T10 Sapphire Blue

254871CudaConvertable440-6pk.jpg

254871CudaConvert440-6pk-med.jpg

OP
OP
G

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, Cudaman, nothing like a V-Code to get the juices flowing... That Curious Yellow is the best color of all time. What a beautiful car you have. I've owned both a 1970 and 1971 440-6, 4-speed SHAKER cars. I sold the 71 to buy the 70 and the 70 to buy the Viper (however that will turn out...). My 71 was GY8 goldleaf metallic, so that's how I got my username. Beautiful car you have there.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cudaman,

I purchased a 2001 Blue GTS/Black Interior about 3 months ago. 61K seems slightly high, but if its the color, car, and condition you want paying extra is always worth it.

I paid 56K plus $1400 for an additional 5 year warranty for a car with 3700 miles with 3.55 gears and Borla exhaust.

I ran the VIN through the dodge dealers and CARFAX and checked the car out myself for paint and body/frame damage. I tried to get a local viper enthusiast to look at the car, but could not schedule it. But considering I had the warranty, I was convinced I had a decent car.

Anyway, The Blue GTS looks great and you can always add the stripes later. Good luck in your quest! Enjoy!

Tom Lau

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

There is an 01 GTS Sapphire Blue w/ Cognac Interior @ Bentley Downers Grove (Chicago, IL) with 8k miles. I got the dealership to accept my offer of $50K. Tom Alramli 630-802-6710. The carfax came up as a clean 1 owner, local to Chicago. The only reason that I passed on it is to buy a 01 Yellow with Factory Black Stipes from Fitsgerald Motorsports. Good Luck.

Tom

OP
OP
G

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I'm actually stuck on an ACR (Toby's fault! :) ). Interestingly enough the one that I'm putting a deposit on is a Fitzgerald's Automotive car, too. I've been dealing with the owner's son and he seems pretty honest and straightforward. I sure hope my instincts are right! He says that if the Viper Tech doesn't "pass" the car, he will refund my deposit completely.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was 216 Sapphire GTS built and only 77 ACR Sapphire built in 2001. Sapphire was available only ONE year 2001, the first year for ABS braking system.

Cudaman :usa: