Calif. Smog check problem, need help

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had my 01 GTS in for smog and it failed. The only change to the car are Roe high flow cats. Talked to Roe and they have not had any complaints of this type. For the tech types the failure was the CO test at the higher RPM. This was the readings,
15mph 1640 rpm Max 0.48 Meas 0.15
25mph 1860 rpm Max 0.46 Meas 0.77

Could this be a bad Ox sensor, PCM or the cats? It seems odd that the reading is very good at the low rpm and bad at the higher. If I take it to a dealer will the cat change void the warranty?

Thanks in advance for any help

Randy

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they still sell the stuff "pass smog" in a bottle? Used to sell it at Pep Boys. Stick it in your tank and suppose to make the car pass. Another option is to move out of communist state of Kalifornia :D

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my 01 GTS in for smog and it failed. The only change to the car are Roe high flow cats. Talked to Roe and they have not had any complaints of this type. For the tech types the failure was the CO test at the higher RPM. This was the readings,
15mph 1640 rpm Max 0.48 Meas 0.15
25mph 1860 rpm Max 0.46 Meas 0.77

Could this be a bad Ox sensor, PCM or the cats? It seems odd that the reading is very good at the low rpm and bad at the higher. If I take it to a dealer will the cat change void the warranty?

Thanks in advance for any help

Randy

A bad 02 sensor would light up your engine light. PCM should adjust itself to your driving habits. My 2000 Viper had Balenger headers with 3" catbacks, and 3" in/out Randomtech Hi-flow cats and I passed the Cali sniff test. Who did the test? A certified state only station, or just a gas station?

OP
OP
R

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The test was done at a shop owned by a VCA member. Like yours, I have seen other modified cars pass.

OP
OP
R

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll check on that Pep Boys stuff, and yes the People's Republic of California is a pain...

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '97 has Random Tech 3" cats and I just went through Smog Check a couple of weeks ago, the CO readings on the 15 mph and 25 mph checks were 0.00 and 0.01 repectively.

It's my understanding that high CO is caused by a too rich mixture or high oil consumption.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '97 has Random Tech 3" cats and I just went through Smog Check a couple of weeks ago, the CO readings on the 15 mph and 25 mph checks were 0.00 and 0.01 repectively.

It's my understanding that high CO is caused by a too rich mixture or high oil consumption.

Well Randy, if you drive your car hard or road race your PCM will automatically make the motor run rich to protect it. I had this happen road racing, I spewed black smoke for a while until my PCM "caught" up.

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post. I just failed this weekend too!

Honestly, I wonder if they are scamming me to make me pay more for the retest (it's a test only station). I passed about 16 months ago with flying colors. Only mod since then is DC computer flash.

I bought the guaranteed to pass crap and it's in my tank right now. After it's empty and I fill up again I'm going back. *sigh*. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

OP
OP
R

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Just had a talk with the wizzard... Going with new plugs and wires then clear the PCM, do a sniff check and see what it reads, if that doesn't fix it, plan B. Might be a slow O2 sensor, have to dig up a scan tool for that one.

Thanks again

Where in Mission Hills? I lived in Granada Hills in the 60's and early 70's

Randy

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As close as it is to passing I would try another station. Make sure it's good and hot. I don't think it is a Cat problem like You say with low speed. Usually a Cat works better at higher RPM, but more of a plugged air filter, oil dilution, O2 problem. Sounds too rich for the Cat to handle but it rally isn't that bad. If it was a couple years older it would pass. Our IM program is modelled to Calif's and I've been doing them since 1985 when our program started. Lots of variables and the way yours is so close. If you can down there try a different test station because the machines can be a little different.