California sniffer-proof mods?

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all, I'd love to hear from California viper owners who have modified their motors. How far can I go before I'm no longer smog legal? I'd love to (someday) do tubes/filters, headers, hi-flow cats, exhaust, and more as long as I don't compromise passing the [******] mandated semi-annual California sniffer test.

So... Where should I start and how far can I go?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dave

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have tubes and filters, 98+ stock headers, high flow cats and a Borla cat back exhaust and are required to pass an annual emmissions inspection (albeit in NC) Our cars run very clean and we haven't even been close to flagging anything on emmissions..... As long as you don't remove the cats you should be OK.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tubes/Filters/catback no problem. High flow cats should pass. I have the Random Tech cats and have not had to smog yet. Dan Cragin should have experience with them. I passed with my VEC 1 zeroed. I believe the only 50 state legal headers are Edelbrocks. I think any of the available headers will pass the sniff test but all but the Edelbrocks will fail the visual if they are seen. That is probably unlikely if you cover them with the heat shields. The big advantage of the Viper is that few smog techs know what is original and what is aftermarket. Go for it!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get that. This means you can legally drive a fuel dragster on the street just by paying for it, even though it is not truly CA smog legal?

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Daffy, that would be great if I had a spare $35K. I've browsed through Apex's site but I didn't see anything about them being CA smog legal. Are they?

Russ M... please elaborate. [email protected]

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy, that would be great if I had a spare $35K. I've browsed through Apex's site but I didn't see anything about them being CA smog legal. Are they?

Dave,
Yes, the highly-respectable work that Apex does is priced not for the weak of pocketbook. Heh-heh. But from what I've read on the Viper forum, it's worth it. You get what you pay for.

Apex Lethal 750 Package meets California emissions standards according to...
Magazine: Car and Driver
Article: Supercar Challenge
Date: September 2002
Placement: 6th (out of 15 cars)
Website: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=35&article_id=2830

Quote: "There is simply no downside to this engine. It meets California emissions standards, it's happy to putter around town, it ran like a German train during our test, and don't forget the electric throttle response. We gave the Apex four of five stars for drivability, the highest-scoring Viper in the test, and we found it every bit as streetable as a stock Viper." -Larry Webster

Other C/D Observed Performance:
0-60 mph: 3.62 seconds
0-100 mph: 7.34 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.68 seconds
150-0 mph: 670.81 feet

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and postitive feedback.
You are correct! APEX does offer packages that pass the emissions sniffer. We will be posting numbers on our the NEW truly CARB certified (not only sniffer legal, but CARB legal!) SUPERCHARGER system!

They can add this supercharger package to any of the existing naturally aspirated packages including the LETHAL 500, 600, 650, and 750!!

Keep in mind our packages are not just a bunch of performance parts thrown together. They offer complete systems that focus on all areas of the powertrain, drivetrain, cooling, etc. to ensure you have the ultimate in longevtiy, drivability, and longevity. That is why Car and Driver gave my car the highest drivability rating of any Viper they tested!! To give you an idea of the thoroughness of the R&D process, we tested several head combinations with varying flow numbers, spring pressures, valve sizes, etc, along with about a dozen camshaft profiles before we released the package. We learned a ton about the engine and what works best!

-Wayne

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the test procedures in Ca for OBDI and OBDII cars?

I live in Oregon where the state govt patterns their emissions testing based on California. I don't have to take a 'sniffer' test for my 99 GTS. They connect in to the ECU and check for error codes which I believe are the OBDII procedures in Oregon. I assume that the mods also do not set any codes to trip me up.

My OBDI Z28 needs to run on a dyno sniffer test which is even harder to pass then the standard sniffer test.

Jim

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently most of CA uses a sniffer test. Put a pipe in your tailpipe and measure emissions output at idle and 2500 rpms. Interestingly, we have seen some high flow cats that others use, flow soooo much that they do not heat up enough to 'light up' and burn off emissions. As a result, some cars may not pass with some high flow cats during the test.

In addition, some areas of CA are now using dynos to measure emissions. This makes it very hard to pass because they can test your car under a load!!!

They are making it harder and harder on the aftermarket companies to offer parts, that's for sure!!
-Wayne

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne - I'm impressed with what I'm reading - you're on my short list when it's time for me to go shopping.

Wouldn't it be nice to see some direct injection injectors start to appear in the aftermarket industry?!! We will eventually - then it'll be a lot easier to build fuel efficient and emissions friendly modified engines.

It's always a balancing act trying to comply. We want cold slightly rich fuel for max power, but that mix runs dirty.... so one way is to run cold fuel that is heated suddenly before injection for better atomisation. This heating does not affect fuel mix ratio, but does affect combustion burn, then add cold air of course to pack in more o2.

Another cool thing I've seen is a 2+ program setup. You can run the car on any selected program by flicking a switch - and toggle between them on the run.

Typically one program is for max power, 1 is for daily driving, and 1 is for max economy/detuned for wet days/someone else driving your car etc and often has a rpm limit set low. Great for hi output cars when caught in the rain - or when your kid gets to drive it.

The switch can be hidden - but you'd get the car tested in an optimised tune.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas is moving to IM-240 treadmill emissions testing for DFW, Houston-Galveston and Beaumont. As other areas fall afoul of the 8-hour standard, the 2-speed idle test is not even considered anymore for areas that have never had emissions testing. This is because the state doesn't want to administer 2 different concurrent standards. Running only an OBD-2 check is being considered for '96 and later cars.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will be posting numbers on our the NEW truly CARB certified (not only sniffer legal, but CARB legal!) SUPERCHARGER system!

They can add this supercharger package to any of the existing naturally aspirated packages including the LETHAL 500, 600, 650, and 750!!

Woe, Wayne. Now that's exciting supercharger news. Good for any of the Lethal packages. Awesome. Looking forward to seeing the numbers. I'll be reading and taking notes for future use. :)

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave,
I just bought my '99 gts in Texas 5 weeks ago and brought it to California. It has Borla headers, Borla cat back 3", smooth tubes with K&N's, mopar ecu, 3.55 gears. It passed smog with no problem. I checked Borla website before buying the car and found that all there systems are 50 state legal (according to them). Hope that helps, good luck.

PS: The stock heat sheild material was installed back over the headers.