Can a K&N FIPK be made to fit a 02'?

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend gave me a new air filter and housing, however, looking at the install inst. it's for a 95-98. I went to K&N's website and it doesn't look like they make this kit for an 02.

Has anyone tried to make this work?

Thanks,
Todd

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't see why it shouldn't but those who know will chime in.
Have u tried to install and it's an incorrect fit

stonemaster44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Todd

if it's what I'm thinking about, I dont think it will, something to do whith the height of the cross bar, I tried it on my 01 and didnt work, A picture my help. good luck
Sam

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't tried to install and I'm not familiar with the setup of a 95-98 but my friend (Thanks Tom Wilson) thought it just needed longer smooth tubes to connect.

The weather here in Georgia is too nice tomorrow to have the car down so I may try to install or at least examine Monday, that is unless someone knows of any pitfalls. If it's a simple install, will be done tonight or in the A.M.

Thanks,
Todd

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it goes on a 98 it should fit an 02, but never tried anything like that.

i cant think of anything that different between those years.

im almost positive the airbox is the exact same. jonB would know. PartsRack.com - Home

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone searches for this in the future...answer per JonB is nope..clearance issues. The heat shield would have to notched..probably not worth it.
Thanks Jon,
Todd

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N tried on my viper way back when to see what the modifications would need to be. The problem is the updated radiator/core support on 99 and newer cars.

After trying for about a day they decided it would not be worth the effort to make it fit.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I recall, the cross member may have gotten in the way after the radiator clearance was dealt with but like I said they never got that far with it.

The other problem was that they had no data supporting any power gain from the intake all their dyno testing showed no gain. So that combined with R&D cost to design a new intake made it a money loosing proposition.

On the bright side though my Turbo Diesel truck did get a nice K&N intake for my troubles.

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have one on my 2001 and it worked, ordered mine from partsrack.

The only difference between the years that I could find was there are two different kinds of crossmembers but k&n has two ways to install depending on which one you have.

I can try and find the instructions if that would help you.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this same situation, anyone here tried this on a GEN2? Seems like the best solution so far, and more HP gain...

New Page 0

I would love to hear from someone who has done this.....

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPERGTSPA,
That'd be great. I only have one set of install inst. Is there any way of telling which crossmember works or not?
Thanks,
Todd

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heres what they say about the crossmembers.

On models equipped with an aluminum crossmember, drill out the rivet that retains the rear airbox mounting bracket. remove the brackets as it will not be used.

On models equipped with a steel crossmember, move the wire harness away and cut off the rear airbox mounting bracket. NOTE: If a diegrinder is not available use a hacksaw.

This is from the 57-1508 kit for 1995-98 and I have a 2000 and it works. Also if you need any more info just let me know.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to bring up an old thread like this but this intake system is still sitting in my garage and the weather would be perfect for install.

The one question I have, and I've read the install sheet, is has anyone done it on a 02 rt/10?

I see the popping of the rivets or the grinding of the mounting bracket, however, if I do this and it doesn't work...I'm not a welder..I can't cut s**t out that I can't replace. I just want to make sure that after cutting it's gonna work.

Any GO FOR IT's or any NO WAY's would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure that JonB (absolutely no disrespect) took into account the cutting of the brackets in the clearance issue..maybe he did. I just know if I start cutting things off the car, I can't put them back.

If this doesn't work the system is up for sale...any takers??
Todd

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anything will fit anything if the budget is big enuf....

When I posted this in Feb, and several times before that over the years, I absolutely DID take in to account that [aside from cutting brackets and making serious mods] IT WONT FIT! Out-of-the-box new, and save for a day+ of measuring-cutting mods, IT WONT FIT.

If you have an unlimited time and money budget, and can deal with possible ill-fit results, then HEll YES, IT CAN BE MADE TO FIT poorly

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A friend gave me a new air filter and housing, however, looking at the install inst. it's for a 95-98. ....Has anyone tried to make this work?
..Thanks, Todd

I'm not sure that JonB (absolutely no disrespect) took into account the cutting of the brackets in the clearance issue..maybe he did. I just know if I start cutting things off the car, I can't put them back.

If this doesn't work the system is up for sale...any takers??
Todd

A friend GAVE it to you ??? ------Pay It Forward-------- {or you need to buy a classified ad}

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pos rep to 02vipertodd,for SEARCHING THIS SITE FIRST.......way to go !!!!!!

i still say its gonna work, but i dont wanna tell you to do something and then it not work and cost you a few bucks. please post here if you do it though

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard that if you relocated the radiator to the passenger seat and then put 1" spacers under the front hood mounts, IT MIGHT FIT!:rolaugh::lmao: