can an 06 coupe break 200 mph?

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would guess a paxton would do it. I had mine over 190mph, I dont know exactly how fast , cause I couldnt take my eyes off the road (neither could my friend).

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Devil Dog,

I just looked over your photo gallery. Very nice. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1 - I like the cross overs on your GTS. Do they help keep some of the "drone" out of the rear of the car? After installing a 650 package with heads and exhaust, the car is a bit louder inside than I would like. Outside volume is fine.

2 - I too run an occasional high speed event and am looking for just a little bit more down force for the front of my SRT. Where did you get the front splitter? I'm planning to run the one-mile drag race at the Silver State this spring and anticipate 190-ish speeds in that event. It is held at 6500 feet above sea level, so you'd don't make the kind of horsepower or top speeds at this elevation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan

OP
OP
R

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS does have a lower CD than the SRT. I think it's .33 for the GTs, .39 for the SRTC. That will make a difference at top speed.

Run flats work fine for straight line speed events and they offer some safety margin if you loose a tire.

redlightrich,

The Nevada Open Road Challenge has a race based out of Ely, NV called the Silver State Classic where you can legally run your car very fast with the proper safety equipment. Check their web site for more info. A small group of VCA members including myself will be attending this spring.

Good luck,

thanks viper x, this is the kind of info i need. i would prefer not to end up in jail when i am done, but if i must.... anyway do we all think tire pressure, taping seams, 100 more hp and a light tail wind will get me over 200mph? i see a lot of people with big hp numbers, most do it for 1/4 mile speed, but has anyone with large numbers checked their top end speed? thank you, rich.
Dan

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Hey Devil Dog,

I just looked over your photo gallery. Very nice. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1 - I like the cross overs on your GTS. Do they help keep some of the "drone" out of the rear of the car? After installing a 650 package with heads and exhaust, the car is a bit louder inside than I would like. Outside volume is fine.

2 - I too run an occasional high speed event and am looking for just a little bit more down force for the front of my SRT. Where did you get the front splitter? I'm planning to run the one-mile drag race at the Silver State this spring and anticipate 190-ish speeds in that event. It is held at 6500 feet above sea level, so you'd don't make the kind of horsepower or top speeds at this elevation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan

Viper X,
1 - YES. That is the exact reason that I put the X-pipe on. I used to get headaches after 30 mins in the car from the drone. The drone pitch is gone now, however, it is still loud which is fine. The X-pipe is a Magnaflow 3-inch.
2 - The front splitter is the same one that is on the special edition 1998 GTSR GT2. I got it from Jon B. at PartsRack.

Good luck at the Silver State. Let us know the results and be safe! :D

Jim

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An easier way to reach 200 mph would be with a rear gear change.
Stock rear peaks before 200 mph and won't pull the .50 6th double overdrive.
Many of the road racers change specific gears. Might find just the right gear to pull 200 mph in 6th, or 5th with proper gearing.

Probably easiest is to recalibrate your speedo and don't tell anybody. ;>)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala