can an 06 coupe break 200 mph?

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, happy holidays! I am wondering if rate of acceleration is not a concern, what mods would need to be done to make an 06 coupe break the 200 mph barrier. I want to retain stock like driveability and reliability if possible. I don't want to lose any 1/4 mile speed, but I don't care if I don't gain either. I would imagine tires should be changed. Can this car safely handle 200+? By the way, I am only looking to pass 200. I am not expecting 205 or higher. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rich.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am guessing that the 2006 coupe you have does 190 mph. have you tested your car yet to find out how fast it goes? if so how fast have you been? with that said i think most 2006 coupes are puttin down 450 rwhp. i can't see why 550 rwhp wouldn't get you to 200 mph. thats what i am puttin into to my 2001 viper-acr come february. i believe that 550 rwhp will get me 200+ mph in 5th gear. all you need is a head and cam swap to get this power level with headers and exhuast. thats what i am doin. since my rev limiter is gonna be bumped up to 6,500 rpm's i will have enough rev range to hit 210 mph in 5th gear with the stock 3.07 gearing. 6,000 rpm's = 200 mph. i don't think that 550 rwhp will be enough to get me much more than 202 mph though.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am guessing that the 2006 coupe you have does 190 mph. have you tested your car yet to find out how fast it goes? if so how fast have you been? with that said i think most 2006 coupes are puttin down 450 rwhp. i can't see why 550 rwhp wouldn't get you to 200 mph. thats what i am puttin into to my 2001 viper-acr come february. i believe that 550 rwhp will get me 200+ mph in 5th gear. all you need is a head and cam swap to get this power level with headers and exhuast. thats what i am doin. since my rev limiter is gonna be bumped up to 6,500 rpm's i will have enough rev range to hit 210 mph in 5th gear with the stock 3.07 gearing. 6,000 rpm's = 200 mph. i don't think that 550 rwhp will be enough to get me much more than 202 mph though.

Just slather on a few "no fear" stickers, and she'll get 'er done.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tape the seams, fold in mirrors, little extra air pressure in tires, and find a road that goes a little downhill with a tailwind. Might just get you there.

Otherwise some good headwork or bolt on a Paxton.

:2tu:

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, judging by this video( click here ) your stock SRT-C should be able to see speeds approaching 200 mph. You have 60 more horses and bigger diameter wheels than that GTS.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, judging by this video( click here ) your stock SRT-C should be able to see speeds approaching 200 mph. You have 60 more horses and bigger diameter wheels than that GTS.

60 on paper.. not in real life at the wheels. The 1998 Viper they had in that contest probably put down 425-435rwhp (based on similar models documented here) and the srt-10's typically put down 440-450rwhp..

So its not that indicative as you would think, and as seen in that video, its takes a good jump in power, to manage even another couple of mph top end..

Still might be doable, but I wouldnt let the hp numbers fool you between the gen 2 of 98 and the 2006 coupes.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think it would.. What is a GTS rated at? 192? With the better aero, gearing, HP, perhaps it'd see a few more mph..

OP
OP
R

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have only had her up to 130 so far, and was waiting for 500 miles to let the real flogging begin. almost there. also there are not many roads in nj that are good for high speeds. my intention was to prepare it here, and do the 200 plus in the west somwhere. my buddy tells me he knows of a road between LA and Vegas that i could do this. I was going to remove tha pax seat and mount a 2 video cameras. 1 on the speedo, 1 facing out the windshield. if the 100 plus or so hp will get me there then this dream of mine can and will become a reality. i can't help wonder if the tires need to be changed for this.

OP
OP
R

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

60 on paper.. not in real life at the wheels. The 1998 Viper they had in that contest probably put down 425-435rwhp (based on similar models documented here) and the srt-10's typically put down 440-450rwhp..

So its not that indicative as you would think, and as seen in that video, its takes a good jump in power, to manage even another couple of mph top end..

Still might be doable, but I wouldnt let the hp numbers fool you between the gen 2 of 98 and the 2006 coupes.
i agree. i feel i will need to bump it up at least 100 hp to get it done, and several "no fear" stickers. tires? does everyone think the run flats are the best tires for this use?

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think it would.. What is a GTS rated at? 192? With the better aero, gearing, HP, perhaps it'd see a few more mph..

a gts top speed is like 180. i forgot were i read it :p

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

MT Fast and Furious Top Speed Shootout May 1998.....stock GTS hit 192.6 MPH at Ford's Arizona Proving Ground. :eek: Watch the video linked above by M. ROD. :2tu:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

MT Fast and Furious Top Speed Shootout May 1998.....stock GTS hit 192.6 MPH at Ford's Arizona Proving Ground. :eek: Watch the video linked above by M. ROD. :2tu:

Oh.....I forgot to mention that the <font color="red">GTS</font> was <font color="red">RED</font>(NO stripes)....the proven <font color="red">FASTEST</font> VIPER color! :usa: :2tu: :D :eek: ;) :nana:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No way..you're thinking of a RT/10.. Those are 178 I think, somewhere in the area..

G

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

The GTS has a lower cd than the SRTC.

You're SMOKIN CRACK...

G

And you've got your HEAD up your CRACK! The SRTC is taller at 48.6 inches than the GTS at 48.0 inches, has a higher ground clearence 5.1 inches versus 5.0 inches and has a larger frontal area.....now go figure the cd! :p

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The GTS does have a lower CD than the SRT. I think it's .33 for the GTs, .39 for the SRTC. That will make a difference at top speed.

Run flats work fine for straight line speed events and they offer some safety margin if you loose a tire.

redlightrich,

The Nevada Open Road Challenge has a race based out of Ely, NV called the Silver State Classic where you can legally run your car very fast with the proper safety equipment. Check their web site for more info. A small group of VCA members including myself will be attending this spring.

Good luck,

Dan

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for clearing that up :2tu:

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No way..you're thinking of a RT/10.. Those are 178 I think, somewhere in the area..

G

i probly was thinking about the rt-10

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
N

Nobody

Cool link, what hurts to read is this:

"If you're considering the purchase of a Dodge Viper, chances are you won't be spending much time comparison shopping. Simply put, there is no direct competition for the Viper."

because as we all know, its no longer true :(

Not this vette crap again?? and it seems like always from the gen1-11 crowd it has become childish.....what are you looking for bragging rights ,chances are you can't "as most" drive the present viper anywhere near it's full potential ....besides to drive a vette I think it is required that you wear a polyester leisure suit and matching vinyl belt and shoes ;)

Ok flame away this should be entertaining :2tu:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool link, what hurts to read is this:

"If you're considering the purchase of a Dodge Viper, chances are you won't be spending much time comparison shopping. Simply put, there is no direct competition for the Viper."

because as we all know, its no longer true :(

Not this vette crap again?? and it seems like always from the gen1-11 crowd it has become childish.....what are you looking for bragging rights ,chances are you can't "as most" drive the present viper anywhere near it's full potential ....besides to drive a vette I think it is required that you wear a polyester leisure suit and matching vinyl belt and shoes ;)

Ok flame away this should be entertaining :2tu:

1st Who the F*ck are you ? I'd venture to guess a troll. Now ****.
2nd Who the hell was talking about a Z0$hit? I'm talking about the Ford GT
3rd I guarantee you, you pale in comparison to my driving abilities. I do well in Viper days events (2:16 VIR, oem tires), and I run 1/4 mile in 11.50@125mph on stock tires and I just won the Carolina's VCA autocross, pulling not only 1st in a 2005 SRT-10, but had they counted my 2002 ACR times, I would have gotten 2nd also.

with all this, you can take your nobody a$$, and kiss mine ! :hitfan:

Love Jon.

N

Nobody

Lol, easy target jon , ,relax have a drink, I was actually think about asking Devildog how that big ass ricer wing affects his drag coeffiecent ..Just havi n a little fun ..HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GTS has a lower cd than the SRTC.

You're SMOKIN CRACK...

G

And you've got your HEAD up your CRACK! The SRTC is taller at 48.6 inches than the GTS at 48.0 inches, has a higher ground clearence 5.1 inches versus 5.0 inches and has a larger frontal area.....now go figure the cd! :p

Well then I stand corrected. I could have sworn the SRTC had a much lower drag coeffiecent, hence the new design.. Now where's my crack pipe...

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, easy target jon , ,relax have a drink, I was actually think about asking Devildog how that big ass ricer wing affects his drag coeffiecent ..Just havi n a little fun ..HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Happy New Year !!

Hey, you are the guy who said flame away... thought I'd accomodate your request on this one.

-real driver

Jon

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Hey A$$wipe, why don't you ask the guys that won Le Mans, Daytona 24, Sebring, FIA GTS Championship, ALMS GT Championship, Speed GT Championship, and NRing 24 multiple times with basically the same wing, front canards and front and side splitters on my car what they think? It's nice to have the downforce at high speed...I've been to 198 MPH(with more to go) in my car so I know. How about you....******** troll??? :rolleyes: Now **** and go back to where ever you came from and stay away! :buttkick: