Can Dodge Deny Warranty

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

I believe that a dealership can deny warranty service if they deem it abuse. You can argue to a higher authority with a zone rep from Dodge. Out of curiosity, what was the problem with the car?

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
totally ridiculous...... they have to prove it... unless you brought the car in with slicks on.... they have no basis for denying your warranty service...

I heard that they are getting strict on warranty service... but this is crazy....

how did they say you where abusing the car? accelerating too fast? what a joke...

don't mess with the dealer anymore, ask for a regional service rep.... if he doesn't ok the fix, get a lawyer, have him quickly draft a demand letter... if they don't respond to that, have the lawyer actually file the suit.... they'll fold soon after...

Brooks

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, Do you have any modifications? Was there anything in or on the car that suggests that it has been on a racetrack? These are the types of things that allow a dealer to not honor a warranty.

Find a "Viper friendly" dealership, and see if the same problem occurs. Do that before you call anyone. Once you call and your information gets into the system, it could jeopardize the repair process.

Cam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to try a viper freindly dealer. All of the factory parts in your viper are covered. I dont care if yuor doing burnouts its still covered.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your plight simply amazes me.

Add this to the arsenal:

DC SPONSORED several events that involved DRAG RACING, known as Viper Owners Invitationals! Owners were URGED to go down the old 1320. In general, the car is marketed for performance and taking it to the track should be part of every owner's experience if heor she so desires. The "Magic Carpet Ride" commercial features one or more burnouts if I recall correctly. A bone stock Viper on OEM tires should be warranted.

For example, my area dealers put 2 COMPLETE power steering systems on my RT/10 due to roasted P/S components after driving school weekends. I finally decided to add proper cooling in order to save us both time and money.

Check with your local club members and find out the Viper Friendly dealer in your area. If that is not workable, go head on against the dealer and DC; I would be shocked to find a problem all the way up the chain of command.

That said, I have heard that DC is trying to crack down on warranties. For years, dealers and DC have turned a blind eye to warranty repairs of modded cars in the interest of goodwill. I think some slick-shod N20 cars have broken the proverbial camel's back, so abuse will be carefullly scrutinized from here on out.

FWIW

Keith

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I guess the question is "do you want to get this thing fixed, or do you want to go to court?"

Once you mention the word "lawyer", you completely remove any chance of another dealer resolving this problem.

If you mentioned the "lawyer" word to the dealer on your first visit, I can assure you that DC will not speak to you without their "lawyer".

If you have not yet mentioned the "lawyer" word, then I suggest that you get the Viper to a dealer such as Buhler. They know how the process works, and they know how to take care of the Viper Owners needs.

I am just hoping that you have only mentioned the "lawyer" word on this sight. And just so the record is clear, this is not a reference to "lawyer", but rather to the fact that once a customer mentions that name, DC has to then turn it over to another department.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, is there a reason you will not take your Viper to a Dealer such as Buhler? This is the way 90% of us deal with Zone Reps that have no clue. A Viper friendly dealer knows the ropes.

If you do not wish to go this route, then try to contact your local VCA President. If you are a member, we will do our best to help you resolve the problem.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan,

You don't seem to be a NJ member, but I'd still be glad to help. Give me a call at 732-531-4600 (days)

Best,
Joe Houss, (VCA-NJ, Pres....retired!)

oh...and VCA-National VP

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I fear we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg, what with Dodge denying warranty. Seems the corporate world is looking to make as much profit as possible, and they do it by cutting jobs, denying warranty, cutting costs at the expense of quality, sticking us for increased energy costs, causing us to have to work harder each day of our lives, etc. Watch it doesn't happen with insurance coverage for driving schools. It could get scary.

Why the heck would Dodge build a monster if they expected us to just putt-putt? Next, what if you break your suspension or something while off-road in your Jeep? Will they say that is abuse?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Everyone reading this thread:

JOIN THE VCA! NOW ! 1-800-998-1110. 9a-5p EST

Please, no more procrastination. No more excuses, as 'i dont like the local agenda'

Anyone who comes here, seeking help and advice, should be a part of the solution.......a STRONG VCA. Made strong by members.

2000 and 2001 owners note: Your membership was paid for the first year...... after that, its $100.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just my .02 here..
I have worked for car dealers (Nissan mostly) for many years in the parts and service side of things.
The first thing I suggest to you is take it to another dealer (viper friendly) as suggested here previously.
Then try to remain calm and be nice to the dealer, they are your best hope of getting this thing resolved for you.To answer one of your questions, yes the dealer does get paid by DC to repair your Viper under warranty (and they make a fair profit from DC for doing it) so they are motivated to get this warranty claim approved by DC.
But in my expierience, once the customer starts causing a scene (which I am sure you havent)and screaming lawsuit, the dealer is less inclined to go to bat for you. The best way to get the dealer to go the extra mile for you is to make sure they realize that you will become thier "customer for life" if they get this thing handled for you. You dont need to kiss thier butt, but just let them know you wont forget thier help.
I have no idea why the first dealer blew you off so quick, (they must have enough customers).
Best of luck and let us know how this turns out.
Cheers,
Scott

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty damned sad when you spend over 70k for a car and then have to go from dealer to dealer being Mr.Nice guy just to get fixed what should have been done in the first place...

vipergtsr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dan

i am the viper tech at gary barbera dodge in phila. call me at 215-487-0850. we should be able to get this straightened out.

john kerwin

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
way to go john. thanks for stepping up to the plate to help this guy. for those of you who do not know John is a first rate tech in the phila, hbg, nj area....

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 more things,
First of all, to reply to SCS's remark regarding having to be "Mr nice guy" to the dealer after spending over 70k ......
I agree with you, except that Dan didnt mention if the dealer in question was the same place he purchased his car from. And if not, the only reason the "non selling dealer" would want to jump into this "problem" is if they could see some customer goodwill being created, they wouldnt do it if after they help, the customer slams the dealer. If Dan had gone into the dealer saying "fix this or I am going to sue all of you (which he didnt)" the dealer would run like hell away from him.
Second, dont give up Dan, get in touch with John Kerwin, DC may still be willing to reimburse you for your charges, (its been known to happen), hang in there, you may be getting a check from DC in the near future.
Keep us posted,
Cheers,
Scott

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan, John is your man! Give him a call, Barbera will treat you right!

Welcome to the VCA! Your car sounds awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21