Can driving on a flat tire set a Check Engine Light from the ABS? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got in my car after letting it sit for 2-3 days ( I have been driving it daily ) and noticed I had a flat tire.

Well, my lighter wasnt working so I couldnt use my portable air compressor.

I drove it 1 mile up the road and my check engine light came on.

Could the ABS pick up the difference in tire/wheel diameter and throw a Check Engine Code or would an ABS light more likely come on (if there is one)?

I will hook up my SCT scanner and check the code once I get time, but was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction before then.

Its a 2001 GTS, thanks :) ---

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I bet that you will find that the code is an ABS code, (depending on how flat the tire was). However, I had a flat on the rear of my '02 GTS that I did not see before I drove the car to work. I noticed the bad handling behavior part way there and drove the final 2 miles with the tire very low. It never did set off the check engine light. The tire was low enough that I overheated the sidewall and basically rendered the tire unsafe for future use.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there are several potential codes that COULD be set from speed sensor problem...around 5 for a 2001 Viper...as per the 2001 Service Manual.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I threw the tone wheel off my car last summer and got and ABS light, the code indicated a bad wheel speed sensor. I'm sure you would have gotten an ABS light and not an engine light for the wheel speed sensor.