Can I buy Private Party and still get Maxcare

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering because I have heard at least one or two guys say they have but Palmer tells me it cant happen so I just wanted to know if it's possible because I definitely want it. And also does maxcare mean your covered at any dodge dealership?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine through palmer but i bought the car from them. When i called around for pricing most dealers didnt even ask where it was bought, how long ive had it, ect...

So yes some dealers just want the money for the warranty, it has to be a 5 star dealer though.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is your first Viper, do not buy a car without Maxcare. You will shortly understand buyers remorse otherwise.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One form that IS transferable is IF the the previous owner had an extended service contract. These are transferable ONE time for a small administrative fee.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im starting to get pissed with the dealership tactics. I was specifically told I couldnt get a maxcare warranty if I didnt buy from the dealership. Not to mention the whole car wasnt raced thingy and that 2900 was the dealers cost for the 5 year plan when I've seen others buy it for 2450. Im gonna call tommorrow and give someone a peice of my mind.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im starting to get pissed with the dealership tactics. I was specifically told I couldnt get a maxcare warranty if I didnt buy from the dealership. Not to mention the whole car wasnt raced thingy and that 2900 was the dealers cost for the 5 year plan when I've seen others buy it for 2450. Im gonna call tommorrow and give someone a peice of my mind.

Actually i think it is a rule that a dealer can ONLY offer the extended warranty if you buy the car through them, its kinda like them putting their word on it and saying the car is all good to dodge. Some dealers dont care and just want the money. I know a couple dealers i called would not sell to me unless i bought from them, but others did not care.

Call around, i think roanoke had the best pricing back then, like 2400 or something for the 5yr with 100 deductable.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok thanks for clearing that up. But I'm still sure the warranty costs the dealerships much less than 2900 they would have charged me. I dont mind that but dont lie to me and say it is dealers cost. [******]

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on the company, but most of the warranties have around 40% commission built in.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[******]. Talked to Bill Pemberton last month when my 2001 GTS waterpump went out. IF I would have been the original owner, the car would have had the OEM 7/70 and the work would have been covered; however, I'm the second owner so I had no extended factory coverage. OEM 7/70 NON-Transferable to second owner. Bill recommended one of the plans you can see at the link.
http://www.extended-warranty-pro.com/770.html
Seeing as I can wrench about anything on the car, I opted out of any extended plan. Depending on year/mileage/etc...don't be [******]'d and do some DD before you get into a $$$$ service contract.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ellow Viper, you may want to reconsider the Maxcare plan if Bill will sell it to you. $3,000 is chump change compared to the cost of the parts on the Viper. Normally no one touches anything I own, I can rebuild the motor, trans, or fabricate parts as needed. It's the parts that Chrysler hoses you for. In less than one year I've had one ACR shock assembly fail $3,200 per shock. A/C line replaced, motor mounts replaced, rear hatch gas springs. Just the parts alone with no labor cost more than the price of Maxcare. If the motor or trans fails, your into the tens of thousands of dollars. Plus, if you sell the car within the warranty term, it can be transferred once to the next owner.
I've never bought a warranty for anything, but if I was buying a Viper, it's a no brainer.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering because I have heard at least one or two guys say they have but Palmer tells me it cant happen so I just wanted to know if it's possible because I definitely want it. And also does maxcare mean your covered at any dodge dealership?

I "think" it depends on when the car was placed in service...is it still under warranty ? If not, then you may have to buy the car from a Dodge dealer in order to purchase an extended warranty. Beware of Palmer Dodge...search for more info.

For an extended warranty when available, Ringgold Dodge offers special pricing to Viper owners....you can also find that by searching.
Ask for Mike, 706-935-2328 .... tell him his driving instructor sent you :laugh:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CamFab your right. I was just tired of all the Viper Tax on everything I was involved with at the time. The MRS would have cut off my ____ if I would have dropped 2-3K in a warrantee. Saving $$$ on labor is one thing...the parts are what kills you.

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is your first Viper, do not buy a car without Maxcare. You will shortly understand buyers remorse otherwise.

Yeah, but that's tough advice because it rules out buying virtually everything. I'm looking at gen II's for my first Viper and would LOVE to buy a Maxcare with it. But it seems like only 1-2% of the gen II's on the market have Maxcares that were purchased by the previous owner.

And it sounds like (officially) you shouldn't be able to buy a nice '99 GTS and then go get yourself a new Maxcare for it, since all 96-01's are older than 48 months now and shouldn't qualify.

So I guess it all comes down to finding one of those dealers that's willing to sell you a new Maxcare even when they shouldn't. If anyone knows of one of these shady dealers, pmsg me - lol.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The short answer is no if the car is more than 4 years beyond it's in-service date. The only way to get a max care DC warranty for those cars that are beyond the 4 years is through a DC Dealer at the time of purchase. They are a bit pricier than the extended warranties but still worth it. I just purchased a 5 year/50,000 max care warranty from Palmer Dodge for about $2400.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang