Can I get some silly help...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You'd have to call John H at HMS. IMHO, putting Venom Decals on your Snake without the upgrade being installed, is like carrying around a 11.0 second timeslip...that was not your own.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Houss:
You'd have to call John H at HMS. IMHO, putting Venom Decals on your Snake without the upgrade being installed, is like carrying around a 11.0 second timeslip...that was not your own.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say, does anybody have any eleven second time slips I can borrow? I would prefer one with a reaction time of less than .525 and a 60' under 1.80. Must be at a Kansas or Missouri track.
You must be registered for see images

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when guys would take emblems off their cars or even "downgrade" them. For example "396" might be removed and replaced with "327", "283" or even a six-cylinder label. I always kinda liked that. Regarding the Venom thing, it's not my cup of tea but if you like it and it's not hurting anybody (may want to check w/JPH), go for it.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Barbacano:
Wow !!!!!!!! you guys are brutal !!
I mean it's not like I don't have those exact
mods on my car or somethin'....It just wasn't
done by Hennessy, it was done by Dan Cragin..

I just liked the look of the little sticker..

O-K sorry I asked...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark -

Nah, don't be sorry! I was just having fun on the 11 second comment, as I have been desperately trying to get in that territory for some time. Having only done three drag strips (KCIR=washboard with linoleum launch area; Topeka got rained out after three runs - did hit 12.04; St. Louis was hot and muggy during VOI and it was a tough run), I thought I would post something about slips.

I think the comment on the borrowed nature of the sticker was that "Venom" packages are associated with Hennessey. I don't know if he copyrighted that name for his packages or not. The fact that you are developing similar horsepower is awesome! Good luck in your quest. Now about that 11 second time slip...

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark ,is it the "Venom 500" you specifically like or would making up your own like "500 HP Snake" or something do? Venom is definitely associated with Mr. Hennessy's upgrades but I don't think having your own made with something else specifiying your HP would bend anyone out of shape. Unless you put "NO FEAR" on your car, then you won't be allowed to post on this board anymore...just joking!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom as it pertains to engine modifications is a registered trademark of the OMC (outboard marine corporation). Really. Not to mention Chrysler used it on a show car, so they likely have the "Automobile" rights. Marvel Comics owns the trademark for publications. I looked into registering it for way back in 91/92 time frame for the Club. So if you wanted to put Venom on your car, no trademarks lawyers form OMC would "likely" come after you.

With that said, most realize that Venom 500, 600, etc. are what HMS uses to denote his cars, so to that extent is considered his legel "trade-dress". He may be willing to sell you a sticker (you can get one made by any good sign shop, all they need is a scannable picture). It would sort of be like free advertising for HMS, so what's teh harm.... but he may not like the idea of a person doing the mods and putting his stickers on. Really his call.

As for it being done by him, he usually puts a little plaque in the car (on the console by the shifter) denoting the "Venom #". So confusion would be unlikely. He does not tie the "Venom #" to a VIN directly, it appears his records use the customers name. A fellow contacted me who bought a Venom 550 car, but the plaque was gone, and HMS needed the name of the person who had the work originally done before they would send him a new plaque.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte