Can not open hood

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not open my hood because the cable to the latch at the front on the drivers side became disconnected.
Does anyone know a trick to unlatch it? The other side unlatches and that side of the hood opens slightly. I am wondering if I could use a welding rod to slip in to activate the latch.
I couldn't find anything in the service manual. What can be done if a cable fails?

I don't even know which direction to try to move anything since I can't look at the latch.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the input.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't see... try using a mirror to look around. I have a small mirror on a stick that swivels. I bought at Auto-Zone for under $10.00

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a look at my car, and it could be done on a Gen II. I don't know if a Gen I is the exact same configuration. You really need someone's car to practice on in order to visualize where to route the rod. It needs to be bent just right to go over one part of the latch and under the next, and then you will push it against the movable catch. I tried it with a coat hanger and it worked, but it was really too flexible. Plus, I did it with the hood open and easy access from the top. And, I wasn't p!ssed off because I couldn't get my hood open. If you need photos, I'll be happy to help you with what you need.

Perhaps someone else has a better way, but I couldn't see any.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to post more in your profile. Where are you? do you live close to another member? Maybe they could stop by and you could look at the latch to see how you might open it. Do you live near Delaware?

Good luck

OP
OP
B

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or maybe I could shoot the lock off like the bandits when they robbed the stage coach strong box!

OP
OP
B

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I was hoping to hear. I will get in touch with some of the local guys for a practice car. The Gen I should be the same. I assume that you were pushing from the center of the car toward the outboard side. Some of the older Mopar antennas were made of great material for these types of uses. Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
B

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Troy, Michigan. I belong to the Motor City Viper Owners. We just got our first really nice cruising weather. I'll see who I can find for a practice car. Thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that you were pushing from the center of the car toward the outboard side. Some of the older Mopar antennas were made of great material for these types of uses.

Yes, pushing from the center towards the outboard side. You would have to reach up through the front "grill" and poke the rod through a little opening under the flat plastic piece that keeps the air from going over the top of the radiator. Unless you have thin arms, you will have to curve the rod to get it to where you can grip it, but then it needs to go up to the latch, over it and then down past a piece of the latch to the catch release. Whatever you use has to be able to be bent and curved but stay pretty rigid.

Makes me think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a back-up emergency release wire on there (picture hanging wire/cable) like the guys do on the Triumph TR6 hood latch.

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same problem when the hood release cable snapped on my 93 RT/10. Luckily I had another Viper I could use as a template but had to fabricate a bracket which I then used to slide along using the top of the oil cooler as reference until the catch released.

From the front you need to slide the catch to the right. Difficult when the air box is in place but there is just a small space in which to slide the made up bracket. This is what I used:

DSCF0807.JPG

If you've got any Viper owners nearby get one to drop by, open their hood, take off the air box cover and use a bit of aluminium (or aluminum) bent to the right shape using the top of the oil cooler as a point of reference. Once it works on their car try on yours. Takes a bit of time but a least this method doesn't break anything!

Good luck.
Nigel

OP
OP
B

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nigel,
That is amazing. This is going to make my day a lot better! This will save me a lot of trial and error. Right now the weather here is too nice. Nobody returns my communications. They must all be out cruising.

My daughter lives in London. Where are you? We are going to visit her around May 15th.

Thanks very much.
Dave

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

We are about 40 miles outside of London - north east between Colchester and Chelmsford in Essex. About 3 miles from a place called Witham.
About 45 minutes on a train from Liverpool Street.

If you have some spare time you are welcome to come visit. If the hood is still stuck you can take my 'opener' back with you. :)

All the best
Nigel

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:hello:

Dave - Looks like you have your solution - excellent! I went ahead and updated your forum profile so that you can add an avatar, etc.

Welcome to the forums and don't be such a stranger!

OP
OP
B

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nigel,

Thanks for the invitation. We will probably be going the other directio to Chichester.

A friend and I spent several hours and several tries making a tool similar to yours that would work on his 1993 RT/10. I have a 1994 RT/10 and the air shields and closure panel are different and we could not get it to work on my car.

But the good news is I got my hood open. After looking and looking at his car we found another way. I used a Phillips cross head screw driver to push the release lever. The one I used has an 8 inch shank length and the diameter is larger than the hole in the lever where the nose of the cable pilots into.
From inside the opening of the facia, and above the oil cooler I probed through the groove or slot where the driver side cable is normally routed. Obviously, the cable has to be pulled out of there. It took quite a few tries, but eventually I was able to feel the tip of the Phillips screwdriver index into the hole in the release lever. One firm push and my hood was open.

I have never cheered that loud at any sporting event!

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960