Can someone make us a cheaper header?

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote Several small shops have tried to produce a quality, INEXPENSIVE, hi-flow header and gave up....Shops like CALDWELL charged $3700+ ]
I have a set of CALDWELL (CDI) stepped headers for sale. Way way way less than $3700. :)

What size and how much do You want for them ? :usa:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kooks headers are done

Waiting for a return call now with more info. They are closed now, but George may call me back today.

Kooks is makeing them for Gen III. Here is a pic of the collector.
12.JPG

304 SS, 1 3/4" primaries, merge collector, v bands and flex pipes....offroad version is roughly $2600.00

I'll have more info/pics in the next week or two or three....

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, but somehow doesn't fit into this thread's cheaper header category-in fact it's about $1000 more than the Belangers :(

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, but somehow doesn't fit into this thread's cheaper header category-in fact it's about $1000 more than the Belangers :(

True, but someone mentioned them by name and here they are. Done for the Gen3 and still not "cheap".

I had no time at work today to call back George for more info. Maybe I will get a few mins tomorrow?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote
i am confused. what are Gen III "off road" headers? :confused:

[/QUOTE]

Those cars are NEVER driven on public roads, and have that catalytic converter "test" pipe installed in place of the cats.....wink, wink.........

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A significant cost for efficient headers is due to the highly effective, and fully patened Burns Collector.
Some builders make a modified collector to get around the collector, but this hidden item raises the costs a bunch.

Just the fact that you must obtain Vipers of various years to properly fit headers is another big cost. Design must allow for fairly equal lengths prior to the merge. Installation must be considered, longevity, multiple dyno runs etc.

Jigs must be built, welding equipment and trained operators sourced. Dyno runs must be performed to determine optimum design. Then when you get them built you must market, warranty, ship, and continue to develop new models.

My first set of SVSi headers brought tears to my eyes the first time I took power laps at Willow Springs. The sound and fury went a long way to fulfilling my Walter Mitty dream of driving a race car.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone were to step up and produce a $800 header for the Viper (never happen)the lot of you guys would expect it to look and perform like the quality $1800 and up stuff that is already out there.

You can't make them without expecting a return on your work in the form of profit and at $800 retail...Jeeze.

The whining and crying of how you got ripped off would be thread after thread on this forum if a $800 header ever manifested.

Otherwise see Jon B. and get a set of Belangers.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree-partly. No reason an $800 header can't perform as well as those costing much more. Some header builders swear by merge collectors-some swear <u>at</u> them.

I think they angle in too steeply as they merge myself. Though Burns' Stainless will do any angle you want.

Here's a quote from another forum regarding merge collectors:

After talking with Nick at Kooks, they (merge collectors) are more for running open headers and used as a test tool to get the absolute most from your setup. At a starting price of $600 (merge collectors vs non-merge collectors), it wasn't worth hoping for the extra 5-10 HP you may or may not get IMO of course...

I'd like to see a back to back test using merge and non-merge collectors on an engine dyno - with a full exhaust system attached..