can we PLEASE get some answers???

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing the SRT at the NY show, I am more anxious than before about getting mine. I really think Dodge *owes* it to us buyers to let us know a little more info at this point.

I can only guess that there is currently an embargo on the information that we all want - like styling changes, performance numbers, MSRP, availability, and more. Here goes with the questions...

1) IS there an embargo on this info, and that is why we are not being told the info?

2) When is the embargo due to be lifted - like what date? Not "soon"

3) What magazines should we look to for info - Motor Trend? Road & Track? Car & Driver? Autoweek? What issue? The upcoming one?

4) On the day the embargo is lifted, will the info be posted on this site for us to review?

5) Does the embargo cover allocation and delivery details? I really would like to know when I am going to have to fork over some unknown amount to get my SRT... will it be September? December? February????

6) When will we be able to see Dodge-released pics of the car in silver and black? I think we are owed that very much by Dodge?

7) When will we know what changes have been made, and when will we be able to see these changes, if any? Is this part of the embargo?

8) Will SRT buyers be able to try out the SRT at VOI7? This is a big motivator for me to go.

If some of you folks (Steve, Joe, Tony, or whoever) could answer some or all of these, I think ALOT of us would be very appreciative. I really feel like I am owed this info in many ways.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I agree you are owed more information from DC for two big reasons:

1) You have earned it by virtue of your steadfast and unwavering support of this vehicle. Even though you say you didn't like it at first, a convert is a stronger advocate than a blind supporter, and you have been an effective and energetic advocate.

2)You need some more ammunition... We're all growing tired of your "Viper has matured and grown-up" and "it's got more power" arguments.
laugh.gif

Here's your matured and grown-up demographic:

viperadd.jpg

Just Kiddin' Ya Bud... We would all like to hear some answers to your pertinent questions.
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mike......... I'll try to answer some of your concerns. These are my personal opinions. Remember 1995 and the anxiousness over GTS ? Its Baaaaack!

Some of your questions are truly undecided, or unknown !
ie price. They have a ballpark....... period.

Dodge does NOT owe you anything yet.....they gave you the 'optional' right to buy a very exclusive car. You opted. Now, they prepare your table.

Build takes place in stages: F1, F2, P0, C-1, PVP, Launch.
C-1 cars are just being built this month. Since the C-1 cars are just beginning testing, and final emissions numbers and required testing is NOT complete (ie not yet passsed) the info you seek is UNKNOWN.

Final HP / PERF / CRASH must be done with a PVP production-final car. They aint any!

Final D-C cost at CAAP is unknown. Close, but UNK.

When I was trying to persuade the SRT-10 release for the F-16 race, instead of an ACR, I did learn of a press and media "embargo" of sorts. But as development continues, the date "floats." Makes sense to me! My embargo guess: 6/30 - 7/10 we will see lots of info.

VCA officers who may know some of the info as a function of their lofty office are NOT ALLOWED to share it. I remember back when a VCA pres was told CONFIDENTIALLY that the GTS would be built. He stuck it in his newsletter anyway! Dodge was MAAAAD. So, VCA officers must be mum. (but not smug!)

Silver color? There were some BEEEUUUUTEEES at the F-16 race!
I have photos, but no skills to send them. $1000 digital camera and a $3 cable that I cannot figure out how to use. *****. Sorry.

Sllocation? There is no allocation !!! That is what the reservation program replaced. Fact. Many dealers are mad, but Dodge rewarded US ! And VCA first I might add, thank you.

Whet/when? What you fork over and when will largly be determined by your deal with your dealer....and the build order, based in part by your order date from the dealer.

There is currently an embargo on non-DC employees driving the SRT-10. Very few lucky exceptions. Has the media yet? I think not. I may be wrong. That embargo may be gone by VOI-7, but at VOI-2, VOI-3 { TWO WHOLE VOIs of anticipation!} even VCA officers did not get to drive the GTS...and the GTS was to be released 3 WEEKS after VOI-3 !!!!!!!! So don't count on a test drive. in my opinion, highly unlikley.

My 2-cents. Calm Down. Santa will be here soon!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Wow, so much for your status as unofficial spokesman for PVO and anti-whiner extrordinaire!
laugh.gif

As you (and others) have vehemently argued, Dodge doesn't owe us anything, and we just need to get with the program, which apparently includes an information embargo.
laugh.gif

JonB,

I think 1995 is a little before Mike's time....
smile.gif

Sorry, Mike, just ribbin' ya! I'm with you totally. I'd love some more info as well. But I'm not holding my breath.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Oh great... now all the local ************* are coming out of the woodwork. See what you started Mike?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I'm just here to keep these threads lively! And please, come out here. I'd enjoy seeing you and G/F again. Well, especially the G/F!
laugh.gif

Herman Buehrle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge, "owe us?" I would like to think that, but in reality, no. D-C is like a mini Microsoft. "Here it is, live with it", or in this case, here it isn't. It is curious that with their other vehicles, the PT Cruiser most recently, that D-C pounded their chest about where the price range would be so far ahead of production, but now they don't have a clue what it will cost? By this stage, they need the suppliers lined up with contracts, so they know that cost. They have 10 years of knowing the cost of pushing a Viper down the assembly line. But they don't know what it costs? Yeah right;-\

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herman Buehrle:
It is curious that with their other vehicles, the PT Cruiser most recently, that D-C pounded their chest about where the price range would be so far ahead of production, but now they don't have a clue what it will cost? By this stage, they need the suppliers lined up with contracts, so they know that cost. They have 10 years of knowing the cost of pushing a Viper down the assembly line. But they don't know what it costs? Yeah right;-\

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to remember some of the off-the-cuff remarks by Dodge folks around 1990 saying their new V-10 sports car would have an estimated target price of low- to mid-$40s. I think the sticker turned out to be closer to $56,000.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, in 1989 Road and Track did a story on the show car and estimated the price to be "$35,000". I think it was in the January edition.

To all: just to keep the facts straight, in 1996 (I think is was early April) at the 12 Hours of Sebring, I (then National VCA VP) was asked to Drive the prototype GTS in the VCA parade ceremony with all the RT/10's that where in attendance. Originally I was supposed to ride with Roy Sjoberg, but Peter Brock (yes the Daytona Coupe designer) got that seat. So Roy hated to see the GTS sit under the tent for display and he told me "if you bust it, I bust you"! Needless to say, that was when my admiration for Father Viper began. FYI, I thought Maurice Liang (then National VCA President) then drove a GTS before at the VOI, again Before the GTS's had yet to be released from the factory.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Since we have all called dibs on not being the ***********, I guess that leaves Martino to take that role. Sorry, Rick!
smile.gif

Mike,

Yes, she is easy on the eyes, and the sweetest girl I've ever met, but she doesn't even like Vipers, so forget your ideas of stealing her with "well he only has one Viper, I have two!" - it won't work
laugh.gif
. I am loathed to admit it, but she actually likes old cars. She drives some sort of 60's Impala or GTO or Roadrunner or something (I dunno exactly, they all look alike to me
smile.gif
)

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herman,
All of your points are correct. In particular, I believe DC knows today exactly what the SRT will cost. What they appear to be debating still is how much profit they will take on the vehicle, i.e., what the price to us consumers will be. Even that appears to have been decided, at least in terms of ball-park numbers. Which is exactly Mike's point: lift the information embargo!

Mike,
Hey, better that your sweetie should be into older "classic" cars than something new and uninspiring, like....Well, never mind.... Speaking of which, did she go with you to New York? If so, what were her thoughts on the SRT? For sure, I wasn't suggesting I would try to lure her away if she came out here with you. Just that we all know who the better half is!
smile.gif

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom,

The only thing she has had to say about the SRT is "oh *great*... another Viper". She doesn't like it, but she didnt like the GTS either. She thinks the SRT will garner just as much attention as the GTS did.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
8) Will SRT buyers be able to try out the SRT at VOI7? This is a big motivator for me to go. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point in answering NO is that back at VOI-2 and 3, even tho GTSs were ordered (at VOI-2) and just 3-weeks away at VOI-3, there were no formal or even informal programs to let buyers drive them! VCA officers/presidents had no formal or informal program to drive them at VOIs. Steve and Maurice lucked out. I lucked out and both repaired and drove the Viper Pace Car (RT/10) at the Sebring event and for FIA rides. Great Fun !

There are at least TWO VCA members, a VCA regional Pres, and a VCA officer, that I believe have some---shall we say-- 'stick time' in the SRT/10.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no kidding Venom...

Must be nice to be one of the anointed ones who gets to know what #'s this car makes, what the price will be, when they will get delivered, etc. I guess the rest of us just have to wait until we're 'allowed' to know what exactly we bought.

I had said in a prior post that Dodge doesn't owe us anyting in terms of letting us buy these cars - they did that because they care about the VCA/Viper buyers (presumably). I think though, that if they are going to accept deposits, and it's been about 3 months + since they took deposits, that they could at LEAST let us SEE what EXACTLY we have a deposit on. I hear about "minor body changes". I can understand the reasoning behind not releasing the numbers prior to a magazine test revelation, but why can't guys who bought a black car see it? Or a silver one? We've NEVER seen official Dodge pics of these cars. And why can't we know what changes are being made? How does that hurt the car or it's big press debut, that we should see pics of it in silver or black, or know what is being changed (fenders? rear? what then?).

This IS getting kind of old....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
no kidding Venom...

Must be nice to be one of the anointed ones who gets to know what #'s this car makes, what the price will be, when they will get delivered, etc. I guess the rest of us just have to wait.........This IS getting kind of old....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike: I understand your frustration, but on balance, please remember that "The Annointed Ones" were VOTED into office. The last officers were voted in by all VCA presidents at VOI-6. (They ran unopposed.)

The "annointed" job is a HUGE load of work, untold headaches, and all you get is a few perks. It is TOUGH to have to be mum, when you'ld like to share the secrets with enthusiasts. But to do so would hurt the VCA credibility.

Ask yourself this: "If I were VCA prez, would I gratiously accept and stay mum? Or would I come here and blab, and ruin it for all VCA officers to follow?

Perks come to those who Work, campain, and then get elected.
There has NOT been a contested VCA election since 5 years ago.
Just a 'succession'. The annointed keep annointing each other, due in part to their successful achievements.

"Got Milk?" "Want Perks?" RUN FOR OFFICE ! I guarantee it aint worth 100 track miles in a SRT-10 !

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

It's worse than that... I setup several events for our club last year (and cost me alot of $$'s out of my pocket). When the elections came around, I rescinded my nomination to run because I had just gotten rid of the Viper, and wanted someone who was enthusiastic (and an owner) to run the show. So, I know all about the headaches of doing it, but haven't seen any perks!

As for the officers getting inside info, it's not that I resent what they get, it's that I don't understand why *some* of the info can't be given out. I mean, it's not like I've committed to BUY one of these suckers or anything
laugh.gif
. I just wanna see what the car will look like - with it's "adjustments", and at least know when I should be looking (and at what publication) to get the info I so desperately want. It would also be nice if official #'s were released on this site at 12:00am on the day that the embargo is lifted - and it would be nice to know what date that would be.

awww, crap... I'm turning into a whiner.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
There are at least TWO VCA members, a VCA regional Pres, and a VCA officer, that I believe have some---shall we say-- 'stick time' in the SRT/10.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to be a "stick" in the mud, but....While that's nice for those well-connected individuals, it looks like as far as Dodge cares, the rest of us unwashed can just wallow in our ignorance....

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gee, Bigs, seeing that ad made me think.......................
Women check me out at 50 ( yeh, I know it's just the car ), and as long as I have a Viper, they will still be checking me out when I am 80?!

Considering how old both of us are, I think I understand the subliminal message..........Vipers izzzzz good, Vipers izzzzzzzz
good, Vipers izzzzzzz..................................

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pembertoon, In your case it's not the car, it's just that you are so darned handsome, and witty! and multilingual too!

That being said, are you going to be the one drawing names when Woodhouse gives away the yellow R/T? ;)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, the last VCA National election was supposed to be between Jon Brobst and Tony Estes (for the Prez), but at the meeting Jon removed his name from consideration, and the election was voted on by all the presidents in attendance. The election prior to that was three and a half years ago in Vegas. In that election I ran against Jon Brobst and was voted in by the regional presidents in attendance. If any more clarification is needed then just let me know.

As for some of the VCA officers getting some rare opportunities, that is part of the fortune that has come with office. Believe me, PVO (then Team Viper) would LOVE to allow everyone in a prototype for some good old fashion testing. The problem is that they then would expose themselves to too many legal issues.

I will be meeting with JR Thompson and PVO tomorrow, so I will bring up the request. But the best I think you might see would be them giving rides?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigsViper:
Pembertoon, In your case it's not the car, it's just that you are so darned handsome, and witty! and multilingual too!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The women love him because he's such a cunning linguist!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte