Can you lift a Gen I car a few inches to stop the scraping ?

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently saw a post about lowering a GenI car when switching to bigger wheels. Can you do the opposite and lift the front end a few inches ? My front bottom part of the car is getting badly mauled. I would repaint it, but what's the point, unless it's lifted ?

If it can be done (besides adding 19" wheels) ? If so, how, and how much ?

Mannyg

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's about time this question was asked. I like the low look but my car knocks a doo-rag off a short ant.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way for this to be done is to install larger tires up front. Factory is say 275/35/17, install a set of 275/40/17's or 295/35or40/17's.

This will raise the front of the car by at least 1/2 inch, and fill the wheel well more making it seem jsut as low. And the car will perform better as well.

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will get a metal chin guard after I lift the car and paint the chin. I guess it's time to buy bigger wheels and tires. I was hoping to find another option to lift the car (since I like the stock wheels). I hope getting 19" wheels for my genI car does not cause the fender to bottom out against the tires. Does anyone know ? :)

Mannyg

Kyle Kaupert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On both of my cars, I had the underside of my front fascia and the underside of my side sills coated with Herculiner truck bedliner spray. If it is done properly, most people will not notice, and it is a lot cheaper and easier to repair than paint.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The metal gaurd is good for slight scrapes, but if you hit something good, it will do more damage. The plastic is flexible, the metal isn't. A raised Viper is an UGLY thing to see.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is just one of the joys of owning a Viper. To raise a Viper is ugly just like Viperfreak said. All's I can say is be more careful when pulling into lots, 45 degree angle always works well, and call around to get a chin guard. Snake Oyl Products sells a really nice one made out of aluminum, the best I have seen.