Can you see the horn wire?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The white connector plugs into the clockspring that sits behind the steering wheel. There is a wire that comes off of it and plugs into the steering wheel for the horn. Are you needing to find the horn wire for a custom button coming from the white harness? If so, I can look at my dodge ram because it's the same exact steering column/wiring etc.

OP
OP
PS78

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very grateful to you, Jance, for your info and photo! Just bought my GTS that has been set up for track use. Standard steering wheel has been changed out for a sparco piece:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/images/ebay/dt/spa_mugello-blk.jpg

I need to reinstate a useable horn. Your's looks like the manual OEM set up...wish the writers would have photos in the manual instead of drawn pictures.. Looks like the wire passes through the blue disc, inside the the clockspring. I'm trying to trace back the standard route til i find it. It wouldn't have been totally removed for sure. Don't go tearing your's apart though buddy! ;)

"The white connector plugs into the clockspring that sits behind the steering wheel. There is a wire that comes off of it and plugs into the steering wheel for the horn. Are you needing to find the horn wire for a custom button coming from the white harness? If so, I can look at my dodge ram because it's the same exact steering column/wiring etc. "

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem! My truck is already torn apart ill see if i can trace it for you. The disc on the clockspring is what allows the wires to spin so it doesnt bind on the shaft hence clock spring :)

That disc also has a "peg" or "tab" that cancels the turn signal. Without the clockspring you will have to manually turn off your blinkers.

Since this is the same as a 94-01 Dodge Ram steering columns what i did was secure the clockspring under the dash and extended the horn wire to another button since i have an aftermarket steering wheel. I also relocated my cruise control on my Ram the same way. I cant find an aftermarket part for my truck that will allow me to keep the horn button on the steering wheel so i choose to relocate.

OP
OP
PS78

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup, with the clockspring, i was thinking that's how there's no bind :drive: Look forward to seeing if you find the horn wire route. :):)

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to look tonight if I have time. However, since the Viper clockspring has fewer wires than my Ram the white connector might be different. Do you not have a clockspring at all on your car? I got one from a salvage yard for my Ram a few years ago for $5, I'm not sure what would be available in the UK but you might be able to pick one up cheap if you had the correct part number. I'll see what I can do!

OP
OP
PS78

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) :) :) ! No clockspring at all...the car has been converted for track use and all the unnecessary items have been removed- no horn, so no wires to tangle > no clockspring...amongst many other things removed! (handbrake, fogs, most of the interior etc..)....I want to drive it to Le Mans so need to reinstall some of these back in. A horn wire with some slack will do for now.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I will have time tonight because there is a cold front coming in and I have to work late. They easiest way I can think of is to take a small piece of wire and push it into the harness testing each pin by touching a metal spot on the car, if the horns sounds you found the wire. :) I hope that made sense?

OP
OP
PS78

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Jance...that's the next step and i'm checking the chapter 8w wiring drawings before getting busy. Was just hoping (as ever!) to find out as much as possible without any more disassembly.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay! In my Ram it is the RED/BLACK wire! Dead simple! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Check part Number to verify if it's the same harness.

OP
OP
PS78

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm doesn't look red black in mine (in my 3rd photo above >>could be the red-green one...) but i'll get testing on saturday and see. Thanks so much!!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It took me about 10 seconds to find the correct wire once I stuck another wire in the socket and touched the other end to metal lol.

Should be dead simple for you to find it! ;)

However... if someone went to all the trouble to shed weight on your car for track use... you may not even have horns on your car at all! So if by chance you can't get it to honk you will have to remove your front fascia to see if you even have horns to begin with. D'oh!

OP
OP
PS78

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...you got it!: no horns, heater, a/c, door windows, original rear screen, handbrake apparatus, +.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456