Canadian vs US dollars

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all

I am currently in the market for a 2008 viper. It seems however that Dodge wants to rip us Canadians off.

Now that the duck buck and the green back are on par you would think that 85K would be MSRP on either side of the border..

Here in Canada I have been quote 105k and 108K with strips and nav. That same car in the US is right around 88K at full msrp. In addition none of the US dealers are allowed to sell to Canadians and if I some how manage to get a car no Canadian dealer will Honor the warranty?

The only reason I have not order a car yet is that I just can stomach getting screwed:mad:

Any one have any suggestions????

Looki

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been living here in the Great 'Ol USA for almost 6 years now and it still astonishes me that ALL the automakers have still been charging an exchange rate not nearly reflective of the actual dollar vs. dollar values. There is no solution except to open a US bank account, with a US postal box address and buy from a US dealer. I have a TD Canada Trust account still in Canada which is linked to a TD Banknorth account here in the states....all you have to do is transfer the money (online or over the phone) and setup automatic payments from your TD Banknorth account. Even if you ran into problems using a postal box, you're still cheaper to "rent a room" from someone and pay them monthly and have them send you any mail you get.

Register, plate and insure the car in the US (find a place where the insurance rates are CRAZY low) and you'll be set!

IF you do this once....you'll never buy another "Canadian" import car again. I keep buying vehicles here in the US and shipping them up to my brothers and sister who drive them for a while, then sell them at a profit a short while later.

Oh yeah, one more thing....if you need dealer service...remember you're "vacationing and visiting family in Canada", your vehicle is under warranty and unless Dodge is willing to ship it back to the nearest US Viper dealer (which they won't), you'll get service as you expect.

Regards,
Aaron

cpperhead1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know what you mean couple years ago I want to do the same thing ... but after calling DC canada to reconfirm warranty issues they where very happy to tell me no cnd coverage on us car ... nor would the us car have any coverage in the us once it gets registered in canada ... pricks ! so I bought Cnd as i didn't want to take the risk . But in hind- sight these cars are well made = have no real issues todate
Hope the higher priced cnd cars are worth more as a result! ?
more like a supply / demand issue i'm sure :dunno: you may want to talk to The "NEW" CC for latest to avoid disappointment

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be aware the warranty on the vehicle does not apply if the car is purchased in the US and you'll need to add 6% GST on the car coming across the border.

Still agree its worth shopping in the US. The only car manufacturer that has recognized the green back and dollar at par is Porsche.

Patrick

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some of you that have read some of my posts, this post is the reason for all my questions. The process of bringing a car over from the US is just too easy and the difference in cost is unbelieveable.

My real concern and my question is, is it a fact that you lose your US warranty if you bring it Canada?

Either way, everyone has been pretty clear regarding how well these cars are built. So if you did actually have to pay for anything to get fixed, you certainly still saving from buying from the US.

BTW, just so you US guys can measure just how good you have it, you can get a used 2006 Viper with very low KM's for $40,000 less than what we would pay here.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looki,

How far are you from the border? If you're close enough, how many times realistically are you going to have to flatbed your Viper to a US dealership for service? Not likely more than once in 3 years if I had to bet. If the car can limp the US, you're still ahead.

Regards,
Aaron

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do used car prices now compare between Canada and US? Sounds like you could buy low-mi, 1 year-old cars in the US, drive them up to Canada and make money ...

OP
OP
L

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hint. Those free social program ain't really free.

Ya I am sure that the local dodge dealer is forking over those extra dollars to fund our health care system:lmao:

I am not really not that concerned with the warranty or the fact that I have to pay GST at the border.
The main problem I have run into is that I can't find a reputable US dealer that will sell me the car.
The people of have talk to are will to sell only to a US resident. I am not really prepared to lie out right to a dealer just to get a car. You would think that there would be US dealers that are like minded to the rest of us and would be will to sell the car to me with a US address knowing that it would eventually make it north.

Looki

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looki,

It's not that US dealers won't sell to a Canadian citizen, the problem is that if the car leaves the country it violates the purchase/lease agreement (it's in the fine print). The only way to "legally" do it is to have another US address, and therefore you're travelling between your addresses.

If you plate the car and insure it in the US, then you don't have to pay GST...because the car is just visiting. I drove my T-Bird SC down here in the states for 18 months using my Canadian plates, insurance, etc.

Best of luck on your search!

I believe the import to Canada rules are that the car has to be at least 2 years old.....someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Regards,
Aaron

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been a beef of mine for some time as you probably know by some of my other posts. I have imported a number of vehicles from the US as the price difference is way out of line. On Vipers, it was only last year that the MSRP was $130,000 Cdn when it was about $85,000 US. The gap has closed, but it is still an issue.

The following is a class action filed against the automakers from an article on CBC

Canadian car buyers have been the victims of an illegal plot by automakers to inflate the prices of cars in Canada and discourage cross-border car buying, according to a $2-billion class-action lawsuit.
The suit, filed by the Toronto law firm of Juroviesky and Ricci LLP, accuses the automakers of conspiring "to lessen competition and to unreasonably enhance the price of new cars sold in Canada," according to the statement of claim.
Most of the big North American and Japanese vehicle makers are named as defendants in the suit, along with the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association and its U.S. counterpart, the National Automobile Dealers Association.
The suit was filed on behalf of four Toronto residents who said they paid much more for their vehicles in Canada than identically equipped models in the U.S. The statement of claim alleges that the "price for identical product from U.S sources could be 25 to 35 per cent lower on average than in Canada" after adjusting for the exchange rate.
The suit gives a number of examples of recent large price differences in the same vehicles when the Canadian dollar was trading above 98 cents US:
  • A Chrysler Grand Cherokee Laredo that was advertised for $29,215 in the U.S. and $36,215 in Canada
  • A Honda Odyssey Minivan that was advertised for $25,645 in the U.S. and $33,333 in Canada
  • A Range Rover Sport that was advertised for $58,500 in the U.S. and $78,300 in Canada
The lawsuit covers anyone who bought a vehicle in Canada between August 2005 and August 2007. It requires court approval to be certified as a class action.

Among other things, the lawsuit alleges that the defendants reduced competition by:
  • requiring buyers to agree not to export their vehicles
  • failing to honour warranties in Canada if vehicles were bought in the U.S.
  • threatening or penalizing dealers who failed to follow the automakers' rules
The statement of claim's allegations have not been proven in court. In addition to $2 billion in general damages, the suit seeks $100 million in punitive damages.
A spokesperson for one of the defendants, the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association, told CBCNews.ca he hasn't seen any documentation and wouldn't comment on the lawsuit's allegations.
With the Canadian dollar near parity with the U.S. greenback, it has become easy to compare prices of similar vehicles on each side of the border.
A survey by automotive consultant Dennis DesRosiers earlier this month showed that the price gaps among smaller cars were not large, but that at the luxury end, Canadians were paying $11,000 to $13,000 more for the same vehicle than U.S. buyers were.
On Tuesday, Porsche became the first automaker to reduce its 2008 Canadian sticker prices to reflect parity. It chopped the price of its Cayenne model by almost $5,000.
"We cannot ignore our customers and dealers in Canada who can look to the U.S. and recognize a substantial price difference," a release from Porsche Cars North America said.
One of the lawyers who filed the suit was less than impressed by Porsche's action. "Their actions are too little, too late," Henry Juroviesky told CBC News. "I still don't think that their price decrease will account for the differential in absolute economic terms."

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main problem I have run into is that I can't find a reputable US dealer that will sell me the car.
The people of have talk to are will to sell only to a US resident.

Are you talking about new or used?
I don't think that's totally true. If you plan on leasing or financing through an American dealer then maybe that's a problem. Perhaps the people that you have been speaking with are just not informed.
As long as your paying in cash, they don't care where you come from.

I think you need to check out the RIV webiste for all the details if you haven't already.

http://www.riv.ca/

Last edited:

Cobra Comander

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looki,

It's not that US dealers won't sell to a Canadian citizen, the problem is that if the car leaves the country it violates the purchase/lease agreement (it's in the fine print). The only way to "legally" do it is to have another US address, and therefore you're travelling between your addresses.

If you plate the car and insure it in the US, then you don't have to pay GST...because the car is just visiting. I drove my T-Bird SC down here in the states for 18 months using my Canadian plates, insurance, etc.

Best of luck on your search!

I believe the import to Canada rules are that the car has to be at least 2 years old.....someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Regards,
Aaron

I've done all the research and I think your whole post is incorrect. Are you talking new or used? It is not illegal to import a US vehicle to Canada. If you were planning on leasing or financing with the US dealer then that's a different story. You pay in cash and it doesn't matter where your from. The car is signed off to you, and what you do after that is not the dealer's responsibility.

All the info required to import a car from the US can be found on:

http://www.riv.ca/

Last edited:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Cobra Commander,

I was told that there are higher taxes due when you import a vehicle less than two years old; which is meant to make it prohibitively expensive to import new vehicles. I helped my brother import a nice Z71 pickup (3 years old) just six months ago and he did the research and that is where I received my information. Maybe it's just an Ontario thing, but I will ask him to investigate further as to what the rules are on taxation of new vehicles vs. older vehicles and post again.

Regards,
Aaron

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can "rent" you guys one of my rooms in my Chicago Condo (for a small fee :)). And if you break something, just drop the car off, and I'll get it serviced for ya :) My Dodge Dealership knows me well.. lol.. (unfortunately.. hahah).

Jon

black08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Looki,

I was pretty much in the same boat as you i.e. living in Canada and wanting to order an '08 but really ********** at the exchange adjusted price differential between here and south of the border.

First, I would suggest that you shop around some more for the best deal you can get here. I don't know if the prices you quoted from your experience of 105K and 108K include all taxes (GST and PST) or not but I do know from personal experience that all dealers are not created equal by a long shot.

The first dealer I spoke with was a f*****g a*****e and started lying to me the moment I walked into the dealership. He began by telling me that there were only 8 2008s, maybe 12 tops, coming into Canada for this model year's production run. He would not negotiate one cent below MSRP and only offered to throw in a jacket. I tried to get him to take the dealer holdback amount off the MSRP since were were talking about a car I was prepared to order and not one already sitting on the lot but he wouldn't budge. He lost my business right there.

The other dealer I spoke with, and the one I ordered a black '08 from was altogether different and did his absolute best to accommodate me. He offered me a base model '08 for $98,500 including the fuel tax, green levy, etc. (obviously not including PST and GST) and then went one better by getting one of those employee choice certificates so that I am now paying several thousand less than $98,500 before taxes. I was amazed at how far this guy went to make the sale.

Also, with respect to the price you were quoted of $105K or $108K with stripes and nav, this doesn't make sense. I think the nav. system here in Canada is a $1400 option but the stripes are no charge, even though they charge $3000 for them in the U.S. So the difference should only be $1400.

I seriously looked at ordering a car from the U.S. and found dealers in the Buffalo, N.Y. area that would order one for me, although they warned me that the warranty would not be honoured. I also confirmed this with Chrysler Canada. Even so, I considered purchasing a 3rd party warranty, although I can't quote you prices because I didn't get that far in my research.

There is no doubt you will save money and the actual importation process is not complicated if you do your homework and have all your ducks in a row. I ended up not going this route because of the great deal I ended up getting here. Would I have still saved money if I bought in the U.S.? Undoubtedly so. But with the deal I got, the price differential was not so huge (considering the potential cost of a 3rd party warranty) that I wasn't willing to reward the Canadian dealer with my business for going the extra mile on my behalf.

So I would suggest you shop around here some more for the best price you can find before you make your final decision. You will still save money buying in the U.S. but the difference may not be as great as you thought if you can find the right dealer here who will work hard to keep your business in Canada.

Good luck!

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to hold off. The manufacturers are going to have to deal with this issue. Car sales are declining in Canada and thousands of people are crossing the border every month buying cars from the US. Last month it was estimated to be over 10,000 cars. Border dealers are getting pissed too. The discussion comes up continually in all the boardrooms. Porsche reduced Canadian prices 10% (should have been 25-30%) just a couple weeks back. Others will follow.

Fire off some emails to the heads at the Canadian manufacturers (and heads of sales/marketing). They all know Canadian consumers are getting hosed.