Can't get my Optima battery to fit, HELP!!!!!!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can\'t get my Optima battery to fit, HELP!!!!!!

Well, I was worried that my new Optima battery would not fit under the frame, and I was right. It is about 1/8" too tall. If any of you have had to modify your battery tray to fit an Optima battery, what exactly did you do to the tray? It was suggested that I mount the battery on its side, but then I would have to connect the battery cables to the top posts (which would now be on the side)and would need new battery cables to do this. I would suppose I would also need a new battery hold down bracket. I would prefer to mount the battery right side up though. I have heard that some have cut the top of the negative battery post, but I don't think that would be a good idea.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can\'t get my Optima battery to fit, HELP!!!!!!

Sean, we have done this on 3 cars now. This is the same problem that we found on all 3 - the trays seem very consistent. Its a bit difficult to describe how I have accomplished this but it requires a bit of bending of the tray. Feel free to call me at home at (919)782-3495 and I can take you through what we have done....

Sound's like I should do the install on another car, take pictures, and write up another set of cookbook article...

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Can\'t get my Optima battery to fit, HELP!!!!!!

Well, I finally got it in. There was plenty of clearance for the positive top terminal, but the negative was 1/8" or so too tall. I took the plastic cap off the negative terminal and pounded the battery in with my fist. The negative top stud touches the frame, but as was said here some time ago the negative terminal of the battery is connected to the frame anyways so it shouldn't be a problem. I took all the corrosion off the battery tray and repainted it first. Looks good. The car started right up, no alarm problems. And no more battery leakage problems from here on out, which is why I chose Optima. Thanks to all who helped me.

P.S. I heard that some people had problems with the Optima battery not lasting. I wonder if they did not make sure that the temperature sensor touched the back of the battery after it was in place. I remember reading that this sensor determines in part how much charge to give the battery? If this sensor does not touch the battery could this pose a problem? I made sure mine was touching the battery after I installed it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang