(Car and Drive video) Our Gen 2 VS Gen 5 @ streets of willow.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Lance (SO CA Viper Pres) for orchestrating this opportunity for Cathy and I to drive the Gen 5 and be a part of the “showdown”. Thanks to Dan Cragin for all the mod’s he and his team have done to our Viper. We remember purchasing her from Claude Short Dodge. Dan is the only one who has ever worked on her.

We had a great time even thou it was 40 degrees and very windy. We hope you enjoy the video.

Rob and Cathy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyiQU17R4Ew

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video! Thanks for putting your car up for the test. Honestly, there is something about the GEN II GTS Viper that you just can't copy in to anther car when it comes to the driving experience. Also if I understand correctly, they didn't even push the GEN II all out and yet it still managed to come only 2 second behind the new GTS. Wow.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was really impressed by the Comparison. Gen2 looks at least as exotic as the GenV. I bet most folks couldn't even tell which is the new model if they aren't familiar with Vipers, because the Gen2 has such a timeless form. And performance wise it really kept up, even though the Video did mention that there still was a bit left to get out of the Gen2 GTS. Something I would also like to see is how a stock Gen2 would fair against the new one.

brentsGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had a gate gaurd mistake mine for a new model once. lol. love that they brought back the gen2 body lines but i dont know how i feel about that new hood......

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Times for sure! That's a really cool video to go with your killer car Rob.

OP
OP
S

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Armen!

I love this quote from all the comments from the video.

"Just watching this thing makes me want to destroy a smart car with a baseball bat!!! I cant imagine what it would be like to drive one!!" :headbang:

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While the new car is technically brilliant and truly a nice evolution of the Viper line, I think it further goes to show home timeless the original GTS cars are. One of the most forgettable parts of car ownership ends up being the interior as there are constant improvements. A lot of the driving experience comes down to the "feeling." This video shows the old viper still "feels" great and also it's visceral look is still ummatched. It still is one of the most impressive cars ever made and currently on the road. I will say that the new Viper is much closer to capturing that feel than the Gen III/IV IMO.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To furthe add, the gas cap placement is, to me, what really sets the car apart visiually along with the clam shell hood from the 3/4 view of the car. Just awesome.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while i do have a gen v on order, i do want to eventually buy a gen ii, just to have one.

the gen ii is the car that made me fall in love with cars, seeing as i was 14 when the gen ii debuted

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had a gate gaurd mistake mine for a new model once. lol. love that they brought back the gen2 body lines but i dont know how i feel about that new hood......

I had a guy come up to me and ask it my 2001 was a new Viper the other day at the gas station. Claimed to be a RETIRED higher up manager from Chrysler too ... who knows :)

Awesome video , I don't think I would let someone flog the hell out of my car on a track like that !!!! ---

OP
OP
S

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome video , I don't think I would let someone flog the hell out of my car on a track like that !!!! ---

Basem ready did not push the car too much:

• Basem was very respectful of our baby
• He knew what he was driving, no ABS, traction or stability control
• It was really cool so the tires really never got up to temperature
• We have pushed her much more then Basem ever did,( he is a great driver, check out his web site)
• He has driven some amazing cars in the past

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala