Car died !

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twice now my 99 GTS has died under normal driving. (K&N's, Smooth tubes and Corsa cat back)
Both times the engine shut down and the starter would not even click. Looked at the fusses and found an engine auto reset relay.
The first time I left the car for 1 hr. and it started right up. The second time I was on the freeway, I pulled to the side, the starter would not even try to engage. I removed the key and held both the lock and unlock button at the same time, holding it near the drivers side of the hood. The car started right up.

What is going on?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like something might be going on with the security system. How old is the battery? Lots of "odd" things happen with the PCM/ECU when battery gets low.

OP
OP
Fast Viper Dan

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like something might be going on with the security system. How old is the battery? Lots of "odd" things happen with the PCM/ECU when battery gets low.

Good point! I know the engine will act up when the battery is low, but this seems different? Might be the battery, it is a few years old. I'll pick up a new one and see if that is the fix.

Thanks,

Dan

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the security allows a start, but, then, shuts the fuel supply off.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Security on mine went crazy the other day because a stupid corvette owner kept messing with my door handle.

Anyways I ended up letting the car sit for a second then hitting "Lock" then "unlock" and it worked fine.

While NOT working the car would start and run, but as I tried to give it gas the car would bog down and puff out.

Sounds like you should start with a battery, or check you ground etc.

Good Luck!

-Tim