Car shipment to Europe taking a really nasty turn...

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

Here an update on the current status of my car shipment from Oregon to Austria.
Things are taking a really nasty turn with the shipping company involved (EMO Trans – Patricia Stilwell).
My 2 cars (M-B ML and Viper) were loaded December 19th in PDX, Oregon and were promised to be in Vienna January 23rd. It is Feb 1 now and I do not know where my cars are.

Some history :
Since I am really anal retentive about my cars, I asked around whom to go with and actually was recommended EMO Trans by one of the most reputable Viper dealerships around. Their name is irrelevant in this matter.
Emo Trans had shipped several Vipers to Europe for this person, all from the East Coast. Right now it turns out they had no experience on the West Coast, and I'm the one who's hurting.

A small overview of what has happened so far :

- 2 parties were involved to load the cars : a professional company which I hired to help me load the cars and a contractor of EMO Trans who was going to bring over the container. The trucker arrived one hour late and I obviously had to pay the loading company for their waiting time. EMO Trans called this unfortunate, but did not want to compensate, since this was a ‘third party’.
- January 5th I decided to give Patricia Stilwell a call and she mentions I had to pay an extra bill of 500$ since my cars were not properly blocked, batteries were not disconnected and some other stuff. Apparently some people in Seattle had gone into the container and blocked and braced the cars, disconnected the batteries, etc…
- Now I got really concerned. I told her to immediately get back to who ever was involved in this (of course a contractor of a contractor) and ask them what had triggered this since :
o My cars were loaded by a professional company. These people used wheelwebs, which are currently the standard for high end cars. My Viper is lowered anyway and would not really do well if one sticks some wood underneath it.
o I had personally disconnected my batteries. In view of the specific set up of the Viper battery, I also asked them some more specifics of how they had disconnected that one.
- After a couple of days I got following answer :
o Wheelwebs was not a commonly used technique on the West Coast and ‘’new’’ to the people who went into my container. They recognized it was unfortunate this happened, but told me I should have reacted faster when they let me know they were going to perform these actions. Obviously, I was never notified. Patricia Stilwell tells me she sent several faxes and E-mails between Christmas and NewYear. I asked her for the evidence, but to date she has not been able to provide me with this. Most probably she was just on vacation during that period.
o The subcontractor also admitted they did not work on the batteries once I told them where the Viper’s battery is located.
o In case my car would be damaged…well, that’s what I had insurance for (the f’n rudeness !)
- My current position is that I am not paying for any of this BS. Net, this 500$ is a combination of incompetence (not knowing their business) and fraud (charging for services never performed). I told Patricia several times to go back to her buddies on the West Coast, but she is actually protecting them. She is now threatening not to clear my container if I do not pay.
- Though this is a company move, I feel like I can not charge these costs. If I let them get away with this, more people are going to become victim of this scam. It would also be unethical for me to charge this to the company. Being a lawyer myself, I obviously have evidence of all their fu$k ups and am now considering legal action. I also want that bit$h out of a job.

Anybody any good ideas on how to inflict maximum damage ? Not usually my style, but this is just unacceptable...

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS for sharing your (bad) experience. Sounds terrible.

EMO-TRANS lost my business NOW!

Hope that everything will work out for you, Yves.

PS.: you have to change your location under your avatar...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot believe they would do something like that. That is absolutely ridiculous. Keep us filled in and let us know what happens.

We you moving to Austria permanently?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this.
You chose the company, but did not determine if they had local experience.
Then you secured the car, but not in the way the shipper required. (as Sinatra said "I did it myyyy wwaaa)
You hired the loader, and he did not secure it as per shippers requirements.
Due to these issues the shipper incurred additional hassle, and expenses to re-secure the cars properly.
I am not sure that they are the ones to be considered incompetent.
The wish to charge you an additional $250 per car to re-secure your cars.
Your company, who is paying for all this, has no problem paying to re-secure your cars, to make sure they arrive as safetly as possible.
It will result in absolutely no expense to you personally.
You are doing all this for "the principle of the thing"
You are the one using foul and offensive, and very unprofessional language.
You wish to set upon a course to inflict maximum damage on this hard working employee.
Makes me hesitant to ever perform a service for a lawyer. For the very few dollars of possible profits, the risk of him abusing his power in a spiteful way is frightening.
Best of success in Austria.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they don't get paid to prepare and load the cars, it's probably sop for them to claim that they had to do extra work in order to bring it up to their standard.

The best you can hope for is that it is just a scam and that they haven't really been moving around inside the container, dragging tools and lumber behind them, as they crawl over the cars.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell, put it on your credit card and then cancel the transaction ;) Credit card company might not go with that though...

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this why Lawyers charge $200.00 an hour, They know how muk up the water, Pay the $250.00 per car. If they did not enter and your cars had rolled around then you would be asking why they didn't enter?
Best of luck to the people that you are attempting to hurt. Easy cowboy we all need a job.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you had a written contract! That should help decode this mess for you!

Also, my advice would be to, 1st make sure your car makes it there safely!!
Then stop payment until you agree on all this BS!! It's better they chase you for the money and settlement, then you chase them!
Good luck!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope it is LEGAL to drive your Viper in Europe with no cats. This is like a stereotype of the type of Lawyer that gives the profession a bad reputation.

OP
OP
Y

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope it is LEGAL to drive your Viper in Europe with no cats. This is like a stereotype of the type of Lawyer that gives the profession a bad reputation.

Man...chill.
The fact that I use the word lawyer seems to bring out the best in you.
Recently gotten into a divorce or what ?

All I'm saying is that I am dealing with a company highly recommended by one of our top dealers. They screwed up from A to Z and on top charge me for services not performed.Fortunately your hard working employee was stupid enough to admit it on E-mail. I gave her several chances to go back and correct the errors. She never even addresseed the issue.Only starts threatening not to release my car.
Maybe you would bend over. I do not.
Whether we're talking 5$ or 5,000$, it's the principle that counts.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay on credit card, get your cars in your garage, then dispute the charge & do the lawyer thing on them. At least get your cars.

my .02
Andy

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you hired someone to secure the cars your way. The mover (shipper) did not like the way they were secured. The mover is liable if anything happens during shipment, so they secure the cars to their satifaction...charging you $500.00
over original price for the extra work.

They have your cars in storage and won't release them until you pay the extra $500.00

Seems very fair to me, provided the cars come through undamaged. But if you want to fight it go right ahead :D
Right now they have your cars and you don't have diddly.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd pay the $500 and then just tack that $500 on the next poor soul that walks in your office. You got "tagged" and now it is your turn to tag someone. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Seriously, I'd pay the $500, write it off my business, tell others to stay away (which you are doing now), and continue having a great life. Think of all the aggravation this has caused and will continue to cause. Not worth it in my opinion.

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, it’s a matter of principle. I think that they did it in purpose – you would be in a difficult position to fight them in Europe, they think. I heard about situations like this before. This can be opposite. Courts in Europe are behind people as long as you have your paperwork and records documented and present yourself as a victim. Fight them in Vienna. Don’t forget to add all costs and indirects. Include car depreciation, rental, phone calls, etc. Seriously, get to thousands of Euros. Keep a record of contacts with the company; day, person, conversation, actions. But, I agree, you need a lawyer. He/she has to write a nasty letter to the company and specify the amount you sue them plus monthly increments and lawyer fees. Do it right away, don’t wait. Specify the deadline for their response (15 days is enough). However, I think that you will loose if the contract does not have a total specified for the service or there are additional clauses regarding extra charges.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why didn't you just have a shipping company come pick up your cars and you get them back on the other end of the trip?

I'm sure most people don't pack their own shipping containers.

Both Stacks Blowin'

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Yves,

Well, well you have fallen at the first hurdle, haven't even got your car across the pond yet and you are in trouble!!! Wait until you try and get it through the TUV!!!!!

I offered to help you, but the silence from you has been deafening. For those of you in the USA, I purchased a 97 GTS in California a few years ago and went through the experience of getting it into Europe. No big deal if you go about it in a methodical way. To let you all know, the different countries in Europe have different rules for importing a car, with the UK the easiest. Most people give up trying to get it in elsewhere, and send it to the UK. Get it "legally imported to the EU" and then they only need to register it in another European country, i.e. "change the plates".

I offered to help our fellow "Viper Owner", but as I said above, the silence has been deafening, so "you are on your own mate"!!!!!!!!

Lets have some correspondence from you Yves, on the progress, after your car has been released from the shippers. As Jeff stated above, THEY HAVE YOUR CAR, NO MONEY = NO CAR!!!!!!

:headbang: :2tu: :headbang: :2tu: :headbang: :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang