Car won't go into gear

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car won\'t go into gear

Well, here's the story. Get into the car to back out of the parking space. Gear is a little hard to get into but no problem. I hear a strange whistle sound from the engine area. Back out and try to go into first. Car will not go into gear. Try 2nd. No cigar. No problem with the clutch pedal. Turn the car off and push the car back into the parking space. Try all of the gears with car off, no problem. Turn car on and try with car in gear and the car moves. When I went to take out of 1st, it was hard and it seemed forced. Would not shift into gear again. Popped hood and checked oil. Barely had any so I put a qt in that I had in the trunk. Any ideas?

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Car won\'t go into gear

Hmmmm. I had the slave cylinder replaced about 3 months ago. Do you think putting engine oil in the car will allow it to go in gear? What about tranny fluid. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here is something strange also. The car would not go into gear BUT the car would move slightly with me pointing (again it would not go into gear) the shifter at first. I actually was moving without being "in" gear. Granted at a slight crawl but some movement.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hmmmm. I had the slave cylinder replaced about 3 months ago. Do you think putting engine oil in the car will allow it to go in gear? What about tranny fluid. Thanks in advance!

How would putting engine oil in your car help your transmission go into gear?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I actually was moving without being "in" gear. Granted at a slight crawl but some movement.
My worst fear! You transmission has gone automatic. :bonker: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't see low engine oil being the direct culprit. Low engine oil might cause the engine to seize and would show up with low oil pressure warning on your dash (Gen 1?). It should not cause transmission problems without noticing other symptoms.

Since you said you changed the clutch slave cylinder, that's the route I would pursue. The fluid could have gone bad. Possible causes are:
1. oil contamination from engine crankshaft seal
2. grease contamination from clutch service
3. leaks.

Either way it's a lot of work/expense. Let us know how it works out.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wow! Why are you trying to diagnose your car by yourself? Have somebody look at it that knows a general understanding of how the trans and clutch work. You obviously don't know. (not picking on you, just givin' ya the straight up)
btw, sounds like your clutch is not working. :nana:

sorry, bad monday :smirk:

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill Pembertyon told me that many of the used Viper they take in trade have never had the fluids changed (other than oil). Some Viper owners think they need a new clutch, but just need a fluid change.

Probable worked better for you after the fluid warmed up, I would get it serviced right away.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No problem with the zingers, I definitely am not a mechanic and am not trying to be. :) I was thinking that maybe there was some electronic lockout feature like the shift lockout when the engine oil is too low. Educated on what MIGHT be the problem is why I posted. Definitely want to know what to ask before it is towed to the Dodge dealer and they inviting me to reenact the "Plup Fiction" pawn shop scene when they give me the bill. Also hoping this would help some other person when they do a search on the car not going into gear.

The oil gauge reads normal when starting and running the car. The clutch pedal moves freely as normal when I press it down and all of the major fluids were changed (or at least the dealer claims it was done: brake, transmission, Differential, engine oil) including the clutch was changed out also with the slave cylinder about 3-4 months ago.

Well the car is sitting in an underground garage stuck which is why I am wondering what is going on.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Clutch can be very hard to bleed. Similar thing happened to me when I was down on fluid. I pumped the clutch pedal about 100 times after I topped off the fluid and it straightened things out. This technique may get you out of the garage and to the dealer.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks Jeff

It did look like the fluid was topped off but I will try that.

I will post whatever the outcome is, just in case it happens to someone else.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No cigar! It still will not go into gear. Is there a place where I can check the transmission fluid & possible add some?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The oil gauge reads normal when starting and running the car.
Sounds like you desperately need someone who has a clue to help you out.
Once again you're engine oil/pressure has NOTHING to do with your tranny issue.
Pay someone to help you out. Your problem won't get fixed here. It's not likely a simple fix like you're hoping.
Master/Slave cylinder, clutch, syncros. The list of possibilities is long, but I assure you you're engine oil isn't the problem.
Good luck.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No cigar! It still will not go into gear. Is there a place where I can check the transmission fluid & possible add some?
You have to get under the car.
But not likely you're problem anyway.
Get it to a shop. You won't fix it yourself.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Apologies, since I think you are the wrong audience, but one could jump the clutch safety switch, start the car in first, and drive without the clutch to somewhere.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Once again you're engine oil/pressure has NOTHING to do with your tranny issue.
Not directly but indirectly it can affect the tranny. If the crankshaft seal goes bad, engine oil can leak past and contaminate the clutch fluid causing clutch failure and consequently tranny issues.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Apologies, since I think you are the wrong audience, but one could jump the clutch safety switch, start the car in first, and drive without the clutch to somewhere.
Tom, I don't think the clutch safety is causing him the problem. Clutch safety switch failure will prevent him from starting the car. That's not his problem.

He can start the car but cannot shift into any gear.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AviP, if the hydraulic clutch slave is bad, he can't shift when the engine is running (i.e. after starting.) He can't because the flywheel/pressure plate isn't at the same speed as the clutch disc. If the car were moving, he could control engine RPM to match the disc with flywheel and shift (like "racers" do) without the clutch.

But all this is moot because he can't start the car and then get it in gear. So bypassing the clutch switch lets him start, in gear. Lurch away in first, match engine RPM without depressing clutch pedal and pull shifter into second, then third, etc.

This is all if you simply want to move the car out of the garage and limp home.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score

AviP

Not directly but indirectly it can affect the tranny. If the crankshaft seal goes bad, engine oil can leak past and contaminate the clutch fluid causing clutch failure and consequently tranny issues.

There is no Clutch fluid. If the rear seal was leaking the clutch would most likely slip under power.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It really sounds like slave cylinder needs bled. Not an easy task in a parking garage. These clutches need full pressure from the slave without air trapped. You cannot technically resurface the flywheel as they have close tolerances.

Unlikely tranny fluid, but the fill is on pass side up top. again, not a parking garage fix.

If you want to tinker, have her towed home and work on it there.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Tom. I missed the part where he said it doesn't start in gear.

Lexciting, let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Car won\'t go into gear: Cause Found!

Ok, talked to the viper tech and he informed me that the flywheel is shot and that caused the clutch to fail. He said that looking at the service record and seeing that the clutch was replaced 3 months ago and by looking at the mileage between then and now, that he doubts I was riding the clutch enough for it to fail so his guess is the flywheel, which my service record shows was resurfaced. Does this sound right?

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is he making this diagnosis without having pulled anything apart yet? If it turns out to be the flywheel (I have my doubts), are they going to warranty the original work?

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The tech said that there is apparently somewhere in the vehicle that he can peek at the clutch or flywheel to see if it is shot. I am going to ask the dealer the same question the Copernicus has about the warranty. The tech says it is going to run about $1600 for parts/labor.

My questions is if the viper tech recommended that the flywheel only needed resurfacing (which they did and charged me for) when they replaced the slave cylinder and clutch, and then 4 months later both the flywheel and new clutch is shot (with minimal mileage between then and now), should'nt I get some sort of credit on the labor at least. Hell, I would have paid for the new flywheel when they had the car apart the first time at the shop.

OP
OP
L

Lexciting

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Car won't go into gear: REASONS FOUND!!!

Ok, I got off of the phone with the Viper Tech and he found the following for my car:

Poly bearing (sp?) is shot
input shaft is toast! (said he had to locate one)
broken shifter shaft
Fried Flywheel
Fried Clutch
Pressure Plate needs replacing

Total $2900

What the heck could have caused so much damage? I felt the clutch slipping a little beforehand and the tech said he had never seen/heard of the input shaft broken before my car. Any ideas? The car has 45K miles.

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the poly bearing the same as a throw out bearing?

I think I would call Bull Sh*$ on this if you really had all that work done 3 months before.
I had my flywheel resurfaced, throw out bearing replaced and a new clutch put in a year ago. Unless they put it back together wrong (if that's possible) your not getting the whole story.

The T56 is stout you would have to be really ******* it to do that kind of damage.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would guess that "poly bearing" is a pilot bushing or something of the like. I had the exact thing happen in a 429CJ Ford I had; pilot busing and input shaft melding together because of a failing input shaft bearing. I was able to rebuild the toploader in the Ford and on we went. (Hmm that reminds me I picked up a spare for that car that I still have sucked away somewhere... won't help with a Viper though...)

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Bumbles.......If you had all that work done they need to stand behind their work. If all those parts are shot, I would definitely have them physically show them to you and work with you on the price. To do all that kind of damage without any signs three months ago you would have to really abuse the car. Six grand wholeshots etc...... Smells real fishy to me. :nono:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Car won't go into gear: REASONS FOUND!!!

Ok, I got off of the phone with the Viper Tech and he found the following for my car:

Poly bearing (sp?) is shot
input shaft is toast! (said he had to locate one)
broken shifter shaft
Fried Flywheel
Fried Clutch
Pressure Plate needs replacing

Total $2900

What the heck could have caused so much damage? I felt the clutch slipping a little beforehand and the tech said he had never seen/heard of the input shaft broken before my car. Any ideas? The car has 45K miles.

Is this a well known Vipertech or you local Dodge dealership? I thought you shouldnt resurface a flywheel... they're pretty cheap to replace if your tranny was already out to begin with. But then again, Im not a mechanic.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:bolt:

Poly bearing I'm assuming is the PILOT bearing.

The Viper LUK kits come with: Pilot Bearing, Pressure Plate, Clutch and alignment tool.

Wow, not to be harsh but that is total rapage right there. I'd get a second opinion, or at the least get input from the VA/MD Members and where to have your car taken for a proper diagnosis. Was this last diagnosis done with the tranny off and in person by the tech?

Just a note: Dodge charges over 500 dollars for the LUK clutch kit...which they sell in separate pieces, rather than how LUK packages it all together. This LUK complete kit can be purchased on ebay and Autozone for less than 250 dollars. I was testing the waters at a local Dodge dealer and was quoted over 1200 dollars to replace the clutch and flywheel. I will do it in the future myself for around 600 dollars when I need to do it.

Also, when did you purchase this car? How many miles have you put on it? And a broken shifter shaft, someone really abused that car if this is true.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears they are charging you at least 1000 in labor for a 5 hour job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456