Car won't start test

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car won\'t start test

Let's see who gives the correct diagnosis.

97 GTS.

I drove to a "family" restaurant, locked the car, went in, no problems.

After eating my Three Mile Island wings and not finding a waitress to run away with, I went out to my GTS, pressed the unlock button, nothing. No lights, no radio, no horn, nothing.

Messed with the key fob, traded fob batteries with Gerald, nothing. No lights, no radio, no horn, nothing.

Got in the car, turn the key. Nothing. No lights, no radio, no horn, nothing.

Hooked up jumper cables, car runs fine. Lights fine, radio fine. Didn't check the horn.

Disconnect jumper cables, car dies. Back to nothing. No lights, no radio, no horn, nothing.

Aside from my inability to pick up a ******* waitress, what's the problem?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Car won\'t start test

Loose battery post clamp. When you jumped it it had the battery power from the other car but when you pulled off the jumper cables you went back to an incomplete circuit because a wire was broken or more likely the connection to the battery was loose.

Of course I'm just guessing!

PS. As far as your other problem, use a $50 tip, that will help with the ******'s girls.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like my problem I posted, loose battery connection. So how did you get in your snake when you pressed the door button? Was your window down?

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveb:
Sounds like my problem I posted, loose battery connection. So how did you get in your snake when you pressed the door button? Was your window down?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

97 GTS has an emergancy door lever. Pop the rear glass reach around to the emergancy lever. Had to have Gerald do it for me since my biceps are so large.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phiebert:

PS. As far as your other problem, use a $50 tip, that will help with the ******'s girls.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

50 bucks!!! For a ******* tip? How much N20 could I get with that?

Maybe my priorities are mixed up.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You might also want to consider a bad charging system (alternator/regulator).

In most cars you can idle the car with no battery in the car at all -- just running off the power of the charging system. The Viper's idle is pretty low, so it may not spin the alternator fast enough to keep the car running.

To be sure though, the easy test is to jump the car and then hold the engine to 1500-2000 rpms. Then remove the jumper cables.

If it stays running, you have a bad battery.

If it dies, you have a bad charging system (and a drained battery -- but not necessarily both).

Regulators can also go bad and over-juice the battery to death.

The Viper has a cockpit voltmeter which is also helpful for the diagnosing the battery and charging system.

ViperDoctor

p.s. By the way, don't remove the battery connection while the car is running -- many cars need the battery there to keep the electrical system voltage and current stable so there is no damage to ignition or other electrical equipment.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This was a tough one. I wanted to hear your replies so I could have some ideas when I talked to the dealer. Thanks to all.

The problem was a bad switch that is switched on when using the battery tender (which I never use).

You get a prize just for answering. You can pick it up at the Palm Harbor FL *******. Ask for DeeDee, tell them Gerald sent you.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

2) Bad Battery

1) Bad Ground Strap, maybe motor-to-frame

JonB

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Restricted area wiseguy. Call up one of those computer geeks you fired and ask him to fix it for you.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck,

Your just jealous because your BOYFRIEND couldn't work at *******. Hey, how is the lawsuit going he filed?

Dee Dee is fine. Nothing like a 22 yr old ******* coming home to you!

Melissa says "hello"!! &lt;GRIN&gt;

Gerald

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad