Carbon Fiber Air Bag Steering Wheel

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<font color="red">Thicker Carbon Fiber Air Bag Steering Wheel now available. This is a durable hard surface with no seams or stitching. Available to color match your car. $650.00w/Exchange. </font>

281steering3.JPG

281steering2.JPG

281steering1.JPG

DanLyon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curiosity has me... when and airbag deploys, what happens to the carbon fiber cover? Is it a non-issue?

..and - they look nice!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not so sure about this? The airbags have been designed "blow apart the cover. I don't think this is such a good idea. Have thier been any tests done?

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not so sure about this? The airbags have been designed "blow apart the cover. I don't think this is such a good idea. Have thier been any tests done?

Actually the novelty of this is that we have designed a thicker steering wheel that will never wear out or dull and doesnt have the terrible leather stitching.The airbag is just a bonus.I can assure you that we have not crossed any boundries with regard to safety and the airbag.The airbag deploys from a horizontal center seam that projects outward with great force.We have covered the area with a flexible basecoat,C.F film and a flexible clearcoat.I can assure you that this will in no way hinder deployment or create projectiles.Have we deployed an airbag with the finish?..No WE have not,However we did have a customers 97 blue/white GTS totaled with airbag deployment with the photogenises process.Everything worked fine

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks great and very well made. Can't be easy to create a high-quality product like that. The Viper community is fortunate to have so many skilled people dedicated to it. :) What ***** is that I can't purchase any of this great stuff yet! :p "Oh grand and gracious Viper god, wherever you may reign, bless me with one of your children soon." Heh-heh.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks "ricer" to me..... and how can the coating NOT affect airbag deployment?

No flame but if i remember correctly "ricer" was your exact words for our hoods which by the way have been selling like hotcakes all over the world.I have this on my personal viper however i chose to have the wheel color matched to the car and airbag as above.Please do not take this as an attack as i do appreciate constructive critisism and look for you folks to do so.As far as airbag deployment the force that is projected to deploy cannot be stopped or slowed down by a couple of coats of base and clear.I do however agree that a layover cannot be used,the concerns for this are flying projectiles.Myself as a career Paramedic/firefighter feel that there is to much force projected from the airbags,not to open a can of worms but less force could be used to insure deployment before human impact to the wheel.(sorry strayed a bit)

DanLyon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said, just curious... I trusted you would know, and care - explanation appreciated.

Hope we can close the "can of worms" before another "can of whup-ass" gets opened for asking a simple question ;)

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way to get a sample of what this coating look like on a small part? Ive spoken to some of my Lambo and Ferrari friends and we are very interested.

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way to get a sample of what this coating look like on a small part? Ive spoken to some of my Lambo and Ferrari friends and we are very interested.

Email me your address and we will send samples,that goes for anyone interested

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the reason for the thread was to show the newly designed steering wheel,as of now nobody has been able to do anything different with the OEM style steering wheel.We see a lot of people converting there airbag wheels to the old style wheels just to get a better look.I feel that we are offering something different but the same.Having said that, in all my years as a paramedic still have yet to encounter paint chip trauma :D

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Scott, That wheel looks great. I wouldn't pay to much attention to the air bag questions, I'm pretty sure you did your homework before making this product. Keep them coming.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so thier is a center seam that is only paint? And this allows the airbag to blow open the center? I agree that even if the center was solid the airbag would break it. I have deployed these before and the force is simular to a 12 gage shotgun blast. I do know however that you are not even supposed to paint the cover (found out when I bought a set of unmatched bags for a wrecked 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee I rebuilt) The mfg will void the warranty if ANY modifactions are made. Hence the liabality issue. I have seen wreckes that were so bad the car was broke in half, yet the air bads did not deploy, and others where the car was hardly hit and they went off. Just not sure if you are exposing yourself to liablity by tampering with these. On the jeep, I ended up sending back the wrong color bags and buying new just for that reason. If you sold them with a disclamier and noted that bags had to be disconnected for show purpose only maybe.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the wheel looks great. I especially like the fact it is thicker than stock. Anyway, to supress the concerns of the airbag, what about offering a partial CF covering that keeps the hub exposed?

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the wheel looks great. I especially like the fact it is thicker than stock. Anyway, to supress the concerns of the airbag, what about offering a partial CF covering that keeps the hub exposed?

the air bag is separate from the wheel and can be left as is if so desired

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks "ricer" to me..... and how can the coating NOT affect airbag deployment?

No flame but if i remember correctly "ricer" was your exact words for our hoods which by the way have been selling like hotcakes all over the world.I have this on my personal viper however i chose to have the wheel color matched to the car and airbag as above.Please do not take this as an attack as i do appreciate constructive critisism and look for you folks to do so.As far as airbag deployment the force that is projected to deploy cannot be stopped or slowed down by a couple of coats of base and clear.I do however agree that a layover cannot be used,the concerns for this are flying projectiles.Myself as a career Paramedic/firefighter feel that there is to much force projected from the airbags,not to open a can of worms but less force could be used to insure deployment before human impact to the wheel.(sorry strayed a bit)

No offense taken and actually...... I stated that I thought your front fascia was "ricer" and I still hold that opinion... I like your hood.... but that is only my opinion... I am glad to hear that your products sell well!!

As far as airbag deployment... much research goes into the development of the airbag system.... and how it operates. The timing and force of the mini-explosive device was determined from this research..... I only state that your professional opinion (as a paramedic/firefighter) would not be enough for ME to agree to put your steering wheel on a car.

Any change in the characteristics of the airbag system or it's components could create a liability situation in the event of an accident.

Good luck and I wish you continued success
Lance

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I lived closer to you, Scott. I'd love to drive a Viper with that wheel installed. I've always thought the stock wheel was too thin in spots. I would leave the center untouched, though. You joked about paint trip trauma... I think it could happen. Seriously. I've had paint chips fall in my eyes when remodeling. It hurt a little... I can only imagine if those chips (even as light as they are) were thrown into my eyes at gunpowder speed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine