Carfax vs autocheck

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are Carfax and Autocheck reliable services.If you have both is this assurance of a cars soundness or are there ways to get flaws by these .I realize if you have a small accident that is paid out of pocket that that wont show up but if its a major accident surely there would be a claim.What other things could get by.Ive seen on some Autocheck where they flag an emissions issue but dont elaborate....could that be a moajor issue?

OP
OP
P

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax vs Autocheck.

Are Carfax and Autocheck reliable services to vouch for a cars soundness.If you have both showing a cars clean is there still info that maybe not showing up.I know an accident thats paid out of pocket wont show but surely a major accident would have a claim.Ive seen Autocheck flag an emmissions issue and not elaborate....could that be a major problem?Ive also seen a special use issue pop up but no clarification....what could that be if the cars were owned by individuals....surely not rentals etc.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're referring to getting any car checked, I've never heard of Autocheck, just Carfax. However, if it's Viper specific, most definitely call Chuck Tator. He has like the Viper Bible and can pull up any type of history on any Viper. Before I bought mine, I had called him up in regards to 3 different Vipers and found out great information that made me not by them. So, if you're trying to get info and history on a Viper, definitely call Chuck Tator. :)

Tator's Garage: 914-763-3136

Reloader15

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Carfax vs Autocheck.

I owned 2 different cars that were involved in accidents, 11K, 8K, worth of damage. Turned into my insurance company and theirs. I was looking at other cars 2 years later so I bought carfax for a month or number of searches they allow. Looked up both of my crashed cars, did not show any accidents. I would not trust Carfax, my .02

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My recent purchase of my 95 using both was not accurate,, realizing that they can only spit out what someone else puts in so if your dealing with a car that has more than 1 owner play detective and track down previous owners like I did,, got better and hopefully more truthful info,,, my 2cents as well,,,

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My experience with these are as follows. I purchased a 2006 Viper a couple of years ago with 2500 miles. Bought the car from an avid car collector. Ran a Carfax and it was clear. Got the car home and noticed the hood was not aligned very good so got it fixed at the Dodge dealership. 18 months later I wanted to buy a 2008. They were taking it in on trade then contacted me and said something showed up on Carfax. I investigated and was told that California Highway Patrol wrote it up in an accident investigation. I called the guy I bought it from and he said he bought it new and nothing ever had happened to it. I contacted the state of California and as usual, dead end. So I basically took the 10k loss on my trade.

What was the outcome? I have no idea if it really was in an accident, Carfax was wrong, or something happened in California records.

Just FYI

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There was recently a Ford GT on ebay for top dollar and it showed a clear history. A bunch of guys knew the car and knew it had been wrecked. It looked great until you saw the pics of it wrecked. I would not trust any of these services.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Both are just partial tools in checking out a vehicle. Recommend you get a highly qualified Viper Tech ( not easy to find ) to go over the vehicle , which would include putting it on a lift.

Keep in mind to ask even Dealerships, what they do to check their used cars. You can find out alot of information just in how they inspect and prepare their vehicles.

Good luck.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Carfax does not catch everything. I know from first hand knowledge.

OP
OP
P

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah Thanks Bill.Somebody recommended this guy Tom Sessions in my area.I met him and he appeared to be a Hillbilly kinda guy that had trouble stringing together 3 coherant words.....WTH?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tom is just down home good ole boy , but he was the Tech Inspector for all of Viper Days for years. He currently works on numerous race cars, including one of the current competitors in the Viper Cup Series.

I recommended Tom for the position with Viper Days almost 10 years ago, and he has been around Vipers for years. Absolutely one of the top 5 Viper Techs in the US , and don't let the " Hillbilly " nature fool you, he is as sharp as they come. Funny thing is most of the top Viper Techs in the US are unassuming, laid back , and super honest.

Drop the names Chuck Tator, Tom Sessions, Dan Cragin , Eddie Martin, Aaron Guerreoro , Fred Ragle ( the last two are our guys with 20 years experience ) and you will virtually never see a negative thing mentioned, but all of them are pretty humble and just good ole boys.

I would give Tom 5 stars and tell you that you won't find anyone better to help you out in checking over a Viper.

Good Luck.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those services are negative assurance: only "trust" the negative info they provide (even though it may be wrong, everyone will see it). if nothing shows up, ppi yourself

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah Thanks Bill.Somebody recommended this guy Tom Sessions in my area.I met him and he appeared to be a Hillbilly kinda guy that had trouble stringing together 3 coherant words.....WTH?

where's p-law when you need him :eater:

:lmao:

OP
OP
P

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao:I have it on authority that Tom comes from a clan of inbreedin Hillbillys up around pender/onslow co.s NC.Definitely the shallow end of the gene pool.That boy put the "monkey" in grease monkey!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
............I got punk'd . Sessions is a very good friend of Pirate Viper and he is just using the VCA Forum to poke a little good natured fun at Tom.

Still glad I stood up for Tom, as he is a great tech!!!

OP
OP
P

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bwwaaaaahhhaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....he was pilin a load on me out at the shop today.......:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autocheck flagged a car my father was about to purchase and carfax said it was alright. Apparently it had frame damage prior.

I had the same situation happen. Unfortunetly I found out after I had purchsed the vehcile (Ram SRT10). After several nasty emails I was able to get the dealer to buy the truck back.

OP
OP
P

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willie Da P says dont let Toms "hillbilly" nature fool ya.......thats some funny sh-- right thar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang