Caring for ACR rims - PICS ADDED!!!

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine get so dirty so fast(drive them daily)I just use a bucket of water with light car washing soap...large SOFT bristled brush for speed and then hose them off.....you will go nuts maintaining these wheels....I had the set on my red Viper chromed...talk about FLASHY....love 'em....charged $700. which included installation...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah,

I was kick'in around the idea of having them chromed, but may be a little too flashy for my taste. I like the way darker colors and chrome look (Black, Blue, Red), but lighter colors don't look as good with chrome, IMHO. I want the wheels to blend with the rest of the car, and not stand out too much. Remember, I have a light silver. On the other hand, I'm not looking for bland either, but I don't think that is possible with ACR rims. You be the judge. Viperholics, which do you prefer?

P.S. - The Black & Chrome really looks sharp. All beautiful cars!

P.S.S. - Keep the cleaning tips coming....

viper-OEM-ACR2.jpg

Viper-Chrome_ACR2.jpg

Viper-Chrome_ACR1.jpg

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino the wheels really, really well, buy several varieties of california dusters to fit in the various slots, etc. If it's not a daily driver this will work for a long time, the zaino does not let the brake dust adhere and it floats right off onto the duster, does not seem to make any difference how much brake dust gets on the duster either, matter of fact it brushes off so easy I worry about airborne asbestos when I do it, you can see it just float off. Now this is on a GTS wheel but the same technique works fine on my M5, which has wheels very closely resembling the ACR/BBS, just takes a little longer than GTS. The M5 was a daily driver with 20k on it and this still worked well. It takes me all of 30 second per wheel when I park the GTS to dust them off. Nice thing is this technique works when you're out and about without your hose and bucket. I think what makes this work is you don't put any detergent of any kind on the wheels, thus the Zaino stays forever. You don't wash them, you DUST them.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,

Thanks for the suggestion. My only worry would be scratching the clear coat. Have you notice any minor swirling/scratching using this technique?

Thanks.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not found an easy way to clean these wheels. Of course the green ebc's work well enough so a power spraying cleans them good enough untill the weekend.

check out my car for lots of good pics of Chrome ACR wheels in the members area or at my sig site.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,

I just bought a new set of OEM ACR rims for my 1998 GTS (Silver/Blue). My goal is to keep them looking new, and as clean as possible without constant cleaning. Here's my thoughts:

1.) Purchase the EBC greens to reduce dust.

2.) Several coats of Zaino before mounting.

3.) Clean with only Soap(Zaino)/Water. Will this be enough, or will I need to turn to chemical cleaners (ex. A-Z wheel cleaner)? I'm sure these will strip any previous coats of Zaino, so I would like to avoid if possible.

4.) Every now and then add another coat of Zaino.

These wheels are painted/clear coated, right? Not powder coated, right? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, as keeping the wheels clean on a Viper is a choir in itself.

Thanks in advance....

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no easy fix to keeping these wheels clean, only elbow grease. Dusters, brake pads, wax, spray cleaners and the like are reasonable prevention, but to thoroughly clean them you need to get into each and every nook, cranny and corner, which is a tedious process at best -- I actually like to have the wheels off the car to really get them looking good. My BBS rims are now track rims, and I have a set of 19" foreglines for the street (12spokes, maybe a total of 90 sec/rim to clean).
supergrin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang