Cat delete questions

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before asked, yes I did a search. I have a buddy with a 96 GTS we are going to do a cat delete on. What size is stock piping 2.5 or 3? I was just going to go to local exhaust shop and buy like 40 inches of pipe. That should be plenty for each side correct? 20" per side and he'll have to buy 4 clamps. Any suggestions, places to buy clamps, tips, etc
Thanks
Steve

wow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have a 96 and did cat delete as well as rear muffler delete but did keep resonators. It wasn't enough for me to just do the cats, but with rear ****. delete it was just right. straight welded pipes for both deletes.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
20 inches on each side is cutting it close I would think. I have straight pipes and stock cats I could measure out for you, but has to wait till I go to my garage this weekend.

Stock tubing is 2.5" outside diameter, not inside diameter.

Also, you don't "need" to buy 4 clamps, but It might be a good idea to replace the existing band clamps on the resonator/cat mating area. The clamps you will need to mate the down pipe pipe and the straight pipe are different than those that you will be using to secure the resonator side. They need to take both 2.5" pipes and connect them together. I think the below clamp is what you need, although they carry another similar one, but I think it may be for a different application. I weld everything, although I do have some clamps on a full set I have lying around I purchased from another Viper owner. An example is below:

You must be registered for see images

The resonator slip fits around the incoming cat piping using the below style band clamp.

I order my stuff from these guys on ebay: eBay Store - Verocious Motorsports: Accuseal Exhaust Clamps: 5 AccuSeal Accu Seal Stainless Steel Clamps Clamp

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 inches on each side is cutting it close I would think. I have straight pipes and stock cats I could measure out for you, but has to wait till I go to my garage this weekend.

Stock tubing is 2.5" outside diameter, not inside diameter.

Also, you don't "need" to buy 4 clamps, but It might be a good idea to replace the existing band clamps on the resonator/cat mating area. The clamps you will need to mate the down pipe pipe and the straight pipe are different than those that you will be using to secure the resonator side. They need to take both 2.5" pipes and connect them together. I think the below clamp is what you need, although they carry another similar one, but I think it may be for a different application. I weld everything, although I do have some clamps on a full set I have lying around I purchased from another Viper owner. An example is below:

The resonator slip fits around the incoming cat piping using the below style band clamp.

I order my stuff from these guys on ebay: eBay Store - Verocious Motorsports: Accuseal Exhaust Clamps: 5 AccuSeal Accu Seal Stainless Steel Clamps Clamp

Thanks man, this will surely help and get me in right direction. If you could measure that stuff, that would be great :2tu:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did a quick cat delete on my buddy's 96 GTS. Not sure what the pipe measurement is, but we welded, sealed, and clamped just to be sure there were no leaks.

Got all the parts at Advanced Auto Parts. Cost of entire project: around $50

Good luck. :usa:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a straight pipe but be sure to get stainless.

My dad did something different. He split the cat at the center seam, removed the guts, and rewelded. Cost for parts? $0.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad did something different. He split the cat at the center seam, removed the guts

Yuk, reminds me of science class back then..

I also flanged the original resonator / cat assembly, so it can be bolted back in when needed.. butt welded the 2 1/2 pipe to the off the shelf 4 bolt exhaust flanges that have a 2 1/2" diameter hole..

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did it, I used 23.5" long 2.5" pipe that was flared on both ends. Ended up being a perfect fit. Good luck with the delete.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad