Cat Delete vs. Hi-Flow Cats?

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
check the rear exhauster's vents it's sounds (smells) like they are stuck open. borla no cats roe simms fixed exhauster vents sounds & smells great!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if the ticket is a no-point ticket, you still have to fix the problem and take the car to a referree station for visual scrutiny. That is, if you live in one of the states that has the strict laws... It's a pain in the butt - it seems like they will get you at the mose inopportune time possible - about to go on a long vacation, car's registration is almost up for renewal and they won't renew without sign-off, etc. For me, it's CARB listed parts only - the best that I can get. Smog check headaches seem trivial - until you get one. Then, you're getting told what you have to do to your car by what date, pay fines, get on their 'watch list' for future smog test registrations, etc.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
check the rear exhauster's vents it's sounds (smells) like they are stuck open. borla no cats roe simms fixed exhauster vents sounds & smells great!

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out; because I'm telling you, I don't know how anyone would put up with those fumes. I am not known as being sensitive to obnoxious fumes. At least not ones that I am responsible for !

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an SRT and have deleted 2 cats and corsa exhaust. I dont think its too loud, I love it. It could be louder for sure. Also I have only smelled unburned gas or egg type smell less than 5 times ever and I have a convertable! I think keeping 2 out of the 4 cars gives you alot of advantages.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats plus Corsa is loud on the street and wonderful on the track. However, the exhaust smell in the car is obnoxious and not worth it to me (windows open.) I'm going to hi-flows.

Jim,

Picked up the car and am on my way back from California today. I have the Corsa's and Roe High Flows. I'll get up with you soon so you can check out the sound. No unburned fuel smell, and I have no real reference on the sill temp. After a hour and a half drive, the sills did seem very warm. Inside cabin temps are warm too, but I think that's just part of the "love".

Pete

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats plus Corsa is loud on the street and wonderful on the track. However, the exhaust smell in the car is obnoxious and not worth it to me (windows open.) I'm going to hi-flows. - Jim

Jim, check the rear exhauster's vents it's sounds (smells) like they are stuck open. borla no cats roe simms fixed exhauster vents sounds & smells great!

B SNAKE 1 : :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: Thanks VERY MUCH for the tip ! I found that both exhauster vent flap assemblies were loose and had fallen away from the opening from which they are supposed to keep exhaust out. I snapped them back in (real loose fitting - not good design) and took the car out for a drive. It is very liveable, smell-wise, now. Noise from catless is still more than I like for street driving, though.

Here is a link for those that want to check out the exhauster vents: http://forums.viperclub.org/illustr...cs-included-bad-ones-cause-exhaust-smell.html

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will the Cat delete cause any O2 sensors to go bad on a 1996 GTS, and will the 'check engine' light be on constantly? Thanks!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only one id buy is the random tech.

96 shouldn't throw a code if you use a spark plug non fouler.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats in my 98 GTS. Borla exhaust out the back. No codes, no foul smell and nobody has ever mentioned anything about the smell when they get in so its not just me. I love the sound and decell popping and also love the cool side sills. The car had highflows on it when I got it and they still made a ton of heat. It was a huge difference heat wise. Try it. If you dont like it you can always add the highflows back in.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question to all of you is:
Are the catless ones that are having fuel smell and noise issues all side pipe cars? And those that don't mind all rear exhaust cars?

If you have exhaust odor in the car it is not just the lack of cats. It is an exhaust leak created when the cats were removed. The human nose is not going to know whether you have cats on the car or not. That is why the epa checking station have to use sophisticated measuring equipment

Get behind a large commuter bus, they are as clean (EPA) as can be - do you smell them.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed if their chrome bezel around the gear shifter on the center console gets hot? Thats where my forearm sits while my hand is on the shifter. I recently got new exhaust and catalytics - and I don't remember the center console getting so hot - so I'm thinking there is an exhaust leak ????

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody ever get a ticket for a CAT delete? How much?

In a GTS the cats are inside the sill (I assume they're there as well in an RT/10). How would anyone know - for sure - that there were no cats....versus cats that weren't functioning well. You'd have to pull the sills right?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious about the odor that some have and some don't with cat deletes... Does anyone remember pre 1975 cars before cats...;) I would have to think that a fuel injected modern design engine with unleaded gas would still be better ? What I recall is that cars never smelled until they started putting cats on and those first cars with cats almost always smelled like eggs with the cats...

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much more power would you gain from doing something like this? The thought of more power and the car naturally sounding louder and meaner sounds great to me, but in regards to passing inspection, I'm assuming this is something you would have to put on and take off at least once every year...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is registered as collector so it's exempt from smogging... The main objective is to eliminate the heat when I get my sills resprayed so I don't have to worry about discoloration and bubbling and my wife burning her leg.

How much more power would you gain from doing something like this? The thought of more power and the car naturally sounding louder and meaner sounds great to me, but in regards to passing inspection, I'm assuming this is something you would have to put on and take off at least once every year...

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is registered as collector so it's exempt from smogging... The main objective is to eliminate the heat when I get my sills resprayed so I don't have to worry about discoloration and bubbling and my wife burning her leg.

I'm assuming my car isn't registered that way then... I'm actually not sure, if it isn't is there a way to change this so I could have it re-registered as a collector? I was planning on getting headers to increase HP and sound, but this definitely sounds like a cheaper solution for the moment, so I would very much consider it. I just don't want to worry about getting pulled over, any tickets or not passing inspection.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody got stock headers, and Belanger Cat back exhaust?

That's my set up at the moment, and I cant make up my mind weather to go for Hi flow cats or No cats? I have a feeling that if I go for no cats, the system will be VERY LOUD!

I can't afford headers so there out for at least 18 months :(

Any advice?
Cheers Mark.
2000 GTS

I have stock 01 headers, no cats, and Belanger 3" exhaust, sounds great. Its loud, and the drone is annoying on the highway, but I just turn up the stereo:)

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a GTS the cats are inside the sill (I assume they're there as well in an RT/10). How would anyone know - for sure - that there were no cats....versus cats that weren't functioning well. You'd have to pull the sills right?

I don't know for the U.S. and its different states, but here in Ontario they have random (rare, however) roadside spot checks conducted by the MTO and ministry of Environment. Inspectors will comb over your engine and undercarriage, and may also conduct a "sniff" test by a computer to verify that all is stock for that model and year. Any emission modifications will land you in trouble. This is the reason I have not gone catless. They can seize your car, and/or invalidate its registration until it is switched back to stock. At best - you get fined. I thought this was all heresay up until this spring - when they had a roadside spot check in a little town east of Toronto. They were really floggin a guy in a modified Trans Am. Just another example of Big Brother pushin' his thumb down on the common enthusiast.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kinda like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Nd9ciCeUs[/media]

but a little deeper

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all this talk about Cat, or No Cat

There IS other Options fellas

im working on a detailed post including dyno results & sound opinions. Should have er done by tomorrow.

Stay tuned:eater: