Cats malfunctioning - rough idle, horrible smell...

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I finally got around to installing my new 3" Corsa Track exhaust and RT high-flow cats last week, and I was going to do the 'final adjustments' today to get the tips perfect.

The plan was to start it up, get it to operating temp for a while, and then do all the final adjustments.

So, I start the car up, and it's iding like crap and not sounding healthy at all. I shut 'er down, and look everywhere for all the usual suspects. Nothing. I start it up again - same thing. Rough idle, wouldn't rev smoothly, and felt like it wanted to die.

I figure it has to be something to do with the new cats and exhaust install, so the first thing I think of is that I probably screwed up one of the O2 sensors. No codes, but I figured, it's the only thing that I messed with... Nothing obvious... I then compared the exhaust flow on the driver/passenger side and smelled the exhaust to see if one side smelled like gas (possible busted cat substrate). The passenger side was fine - but the driver's side sounded choked, and smelled like crap (literally).

Long story short, I figured something must be wrong with the cat, and I decided to 'blip' the gas a bunch of times to see if I could hear anything rattling around in there.

Guess what came flying out of the exhaust after about five or six 'blips'? A crap load of acorns and other stuff, along with a big ball of fuzz that I've got to figure got torn out an insulation layer in of one of my other cars... So, it WAS the cat that was at fault - but a different cat. My big 25 pound lazy-ass malfunctioning cat didn't catch the mouse that got into my exhaust, built a nest, and plugged the thing up.

After everything flew out, the car runs fine - but now it's Superbowl party time, so I'm going to finish up the adjustments next weekend :)

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what i did is cut out a piece of insulation (styrofoam type) and then plug up the holes. Did that for the rear end to as did'nt want no micey mice to play around in the battery compartment.

jman2

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem in the past. I use those cheap drinking cups, turned back wards, the in each exhaust outlet. Has worked great, no mice in exhaust.:D

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also put the pre baited sticky traps under your car. They work great. The last little bastard I caught in one was pulling a Mad Maxx. He had almost chewed through his own leg trying to get out of the trap.
The traps are a lot cheaper than replacing electrical harneses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21