Cause of Mistress's fire finally discovered - warning to all.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Cause of Mistress\'s fire finally discovered - warning to all.

As you all know my car was caught up in a gas station fire a year ago. What happened was that the automatic gas nozzle did not stop when the tank was full and fuel poured all down the side and under the car. There have been several going theories as to why the gas ignited and seems like everyone has an opinion of how it could have happened.

Well, I had some repairs to do on the door and sill tonight so I figured I would try to gather some evidence while the panels were off.

I was truly horrified as to what I found. Behind the "emergency pull lever" up on the door stanchion rests the solenoid switch for the exterior knob (its opposite of the push knob.). Directly (I am talking within millimeters) of this switch is a molded steel plate that supports the window track. At some point in the cars life the small wire that runs to this switch became bared (what lead to this is beyond me.) I am now convinced that this was the ignition point. The power coated steel directly surrounding the wire is rusted (as if by fire or electrical zapping) and the plastic on the inside of the stanchion has been heat brushed (the same look as running a cigarette lighter across something plastic.) Nowhere else on the entire car did flames ********* through a panel - even on the bumper.

Now here's the interesting point: at some point someone rigged the switch into its place. It’s clearly obvious that there were repairs made to the door (nuts were scratched up and tape was used to hold the weather-strip in place.) I have temporarily fixed the problem now, but someone (either at the factory or dealership or previous owner) used a small zip tie to hold the switch in place. This caused the setup to bend outward and towards the steel plate even more. I worry that if it were someone at the factory this could be a problem to other GTS owners. Realistically, since I never heard of this happening to another car, I'm lead to believe a previous owner or shoddy dealership half-azzed the job.

Just in case though, please, if you ever happen to overfill the tank, think before opening the passenger side door.

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Cause of Mistress\'s fire finally discovered - warning to all.

Not sure if this has anything to do with what you posted... but...

The other day I went to the gas station and... pumped gas.

After it shut itself off... I pulled the handle back in and set it so it would continue pumping on its own. I have done this with all my cars. Any other car, and the gas stops going through the nozzle once the tank is full. Thought this would be like all the others.

But no... this is different.

The car is now leaking gas all over and down the side, without killing the gas stations cutoff switch, whatever that may be. I have done this twice... Now I just take it out when it stops.

Mike

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ran mine over last week too! It's tempting to try to get those last few tenths of a gallon to go in, since my gauge never seems to get all the way to full. Anyway, beware also of running the pump at a trickle, as that will also not shut down automatically.
Scared me bad, I just got in the car and drifted it forward a six feet or so away from the puddle under it.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every gas pump I have used has a warning on it saying not to top off the tank after the pump initially shuts off.

What's the big deal with getting an extra few tenths in? I have never "topped off' and have never had a problem with gas betting all over the sidew of the Viper...or any other car.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every gas pump I have used has a warning on it saying not to top off the tank after the pump initially shuts off.

What's the big deal with getting an extra few tenths in? I have never "topped off' and have never had a problem with gas betting all over the sidew of the Viper...or any other car.

Have to agree here.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have noticed most new Chrysler products fill completely the first time, and therefore I no longer top off anything. Finally a proper design.

My Ford on the other hand, would take almost two gallons after initial shut off.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Exactly - recently acquired car, couldn't figure out why gauge never reads "full" - tried to top off - learned lesson.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I fill up, I NEVER trust the nozzle to shut off automatically. I just listen to the sound of the gas going into the tank. As the gas starts to come up the filler neck of the tank, the pitch changes. When I hear the pitch change (it goes up), I stop pumping. Using this method, I have never run the tank over. Another reason for NOT topping it off completely is that you need to allow for a little expansion in warm weather. :cool:

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is the point topping it off? I dont let mine go below half empty before I fill it back up anyway.

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you top off, you can potentially create too much pressure when the gas in the tank heats up a bit and expands. Very bad for the car.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The last time I topped off the tank was in the days when I used to pay cash and tried to hit the amount to the nearest half dollar or whatever...I guess I'm showing my age a little.